Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Vardy

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if he wasn’t here come the end of the window ….

I agree hence the links with Ings, as a potential replacement. I think it will be a similar deal to the Schmichael one, a small nominal fee or even a free for him to pocket a decent signing on fee and be rid of his wages, which can then be utilised for further squad strengthening. 

6 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I agree hence the links with Ings, as a potential replacement. I think it will be a similar deal to the Schmichael one, a small nominal fee or even a free for him to pocket a decent signing on fee and be rid of his wages, which can then be utilised for further squad strengthening. 

I just feel that maresca’s quotes when asked seem too definitive that he’s staying - the message being to any suitors - ‘don’t expect to get him for nowt or for us to make good on his wages differential next season’. 

1 hour ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Although it seemed like he is past it last season so did many others. We will never know the damage Rodgers did to the team and its morale and that included Vardy. We are now in the second division where I'm sure with the right players and team spirit restored he will score plenty enough to get us back bearing in mind the standard of defending in this league. If he were offered to any championship side at the moment they would bite our hands off. When it comes to his wages bear in mind he cost us one million quid, whatever we have paid him since is chicken feed compared to what he did for the club. One last season especially if we go up would be a fitting end to his career and he would bow out as the greatest player in my opinion we have ever had.

It we are looking to play like Man City, Vardy can still bang in loads, as all he has to do it make little 5 yard runs in the box to attack the space in certain areas. Expecting to play it over the top for him to run onto now, would be fool hardy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

It we are looking to play like Man City, Vardy can still bang in loads, as all he has to do it make little 5 yard runs in the box to attack the space in certain areas. Expecting to play it over the top for him to run onto now, would be fool hardy. 

1 hour ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Good point Babylon ! And I am expecting us to play to his strengths as in the Man City mode of play. which Is why I think they are keen to keep him for at least another season. Though obviously, we don't have the caliber of Man City players I think our new manager will opt for that style rather than over-the-top stuff.

Plus I'm sure Vardy is just the right kind of character we will need in the dressing room to rebuild that once-famous camaraderie we used to have in the title-winning season. I really hope he stays on for us.:scarf:

Obviously depends on how new Manager wants to utilise him.

Also were  his last seasons performance down to quite often poor quickball to

the front men,born on Rodgers tactics..

I totally agree with both sentiments…I said beginning of last season Vardy has still

a lot to give,also has a potential high assist & creator..

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I saw enough during the run-in post-R*dg*rs to tell me that he's still a capable player.

Like far too many others, the rot was down to the way we were playing. In back to back games against Leeds and Everton, he scored vintage goals, and won the penalty to get us going against Wolves in similar fashion. It would be incredibly naive to claim he hasn't lost a few yards of pace, but it's still there if he's given the opportunity against more naive defensive lines.

Factor in that he's a more intelligent player in the box these days, and there's absolutely no reason he can't bag for fun in the second tier, and all the noises would suggest he's willing to do it. The question is more whether an offer comes in for him that we can't refuse with a year left on his contract - but if there's one player I'd accept running it down and then leaving, it'd be Vardy to go and sun himself in Miami or Los Angeles for the final years of his career having got a new-look Leicester back into the top flight.

Very well said.:thumbup:

4 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I saw enough during the run-in post-R*dg*rs to tell me that he's still a capable player.

Like far too many others, the rot was down to the way we were playing. In back to back games against Leeds and Everton, he scored vintage goals, and won the penalty to get us going against Wolves in similar fashion. It would be incredibly naive to claim he hasn't lost a few yards of pace, but it's still there if he's given the opportunity against more naive defensive lines.

Factor in that he's a more intelligent player in the box these days, and there's absolutely no reason he can't bag for fun in the second tier, and all the noises would suggest he's willing to do it. The question is more whether an offer comes in for him that we can't refuse with a year left on his contract - but if there's one player I'd accept running it down and then leaving, it'd be Vardy to go and sun himself in Miami or Los Angeles for the final years of his career having got a new-look Leicester back into the top flight.

Absolutely this.

His season was a tale of two halves (pre and post Rodgers) and he clearly wanted to say something in his post-match interview after the Leeds game about how he’d been utilised in the season up to that point.

With the right manager, in the right system, Vardy is still worth 10 goals in the Premier League. Take him down a level and no reason that can’t be 15 in the right system in my opinion.

My concern is that the Maresca quotes were purely out of respect. He won’t want to be the guy who walks in and calls time on the club GOAT when he hadn’t had the chance to speak to him yet. When they do, they’ll no doubt be discussing the planned approach.

Maresca also said he’s expecting us to be the Man City of The Championship (where teams will sit in and defend) and that he wants the team to keep the ball. I’m not sure how those two factors play into Vardy being most effective. As we saw under Puel, he doesn’t thrive in a slow build up possession-based system and his goals last season were vintage latching onto through balls. 

Will the system suit him? Possibly not.

If both men agree on that then we could see a respectful parting of the ways with both feeling they’re not a good match for each other and Vardy not being here this season helps both.

4 minutes ago, Simonb said:

His movement and intelligence, should tear this league to pieces. Assuming we get the right creative players in, he could easily hit 20 to 30 goals playing 45 minutes a week

Yikes.

13 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

I sense that a considerable number of fans are excessively delusional and seem to have limited exposure to championship football.

This league is highly competitive and challenging, yet some people here seem to portray it as if we were playing in the national league.

Or that some fans are just doom mongers and can't try to be positive after the rubbish we've watched for the last 2 years.

I genuinely think Vardy can easily bang a load of goals and time will tell, I may be wrong.

But his intelligence and his burst over 5 yards to create the space should be enough in the championship given the right service to get himself a hat full.

Not delusional, or limited exposure, its called having belief which if I take your stance, some fans don't have any of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simonb said:

Or that some fans are just doom mongers and can't try to be positive after the rubbish we've watched for the last 2 years.

I genuinely think Vardy can easily bang a load of goals and time will tell, I may be wrong.

But his intelligence and his burst over 5 yards to create the space should be enough in the championship given the right service to get himself a hat full.

Not delusional, or limited exposure, its called having belief which if I take your stance, some fans don't have any of.

The problem you've got with this counter-argument is you literally before just said

16 hours ago, Simonb said:

His movement and intelligence, should tear this league to pieces. Assuming we get the right creative players in, he could easily hit 20 to 30 goals playing 45 minutes a week

Told that he wants to stay, his kids are moving school this summer to another in the local area to them and he doesn’t want to relocate. The issue is that the club are struggling to afford his wages and he may have to leave. He said he'd take a pay cut but as of yet they’ve not given him a new offer. Also off topic but I was told he didn’t get on with Kasper at all and he didn't with Madders either by the end.

Edited by Levi Port
  • Like 2

On 04/07/2023 at 22:20, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Absolutely this.

His season was a tale of two halves (pre and post Rodgers) and he clearly wanted to say something in his post-match interview after the Leeds game about how he’d been utilised in the season up to that point.

With the right manager, in the right system, Vardy is still worth 10 goals in the Premier League. Take him down a level and no reason that can’t be 15 in the right system in my opinion.

My concern is that the Maresca quotes were purely out of respect. He won’t want to be the guy who walks in and calls time on the club GOAT when he hadn’t had the chance to speak to him yet. When they do, they’ll no doubt be discussing the planned approach.

Maresca also said he’s expecting us to be the Man City of The Championship (where teams will sit in and defend) and that he wants the team to keep the ball. I’m not sure how those two factors play into Vardy being most effective. As we saw under Puel, he doesn’t thrive in a slow build up possession-based system and his goals last season were vintage latching onto through balls. 

Will the system suit him? Possibly not.

If both men agree on that then we could see a respectful parting of the ways with both feeling they’re not a good match for each other and Vardy not being here this season helps both.

Even under Puel to be fair Vardy still managed decent numbers.

On 04/07/2023 at 23:43, Mike1983 said:

I sense that a considerable number of fans are excessively delusional and seem to have limited exposure to championship football.

This league is highly competitive and challenging, yet some people here seem to portray it as if we were playing in the national league.

I heard something on TalkSport a while back talking about the Southampton strikers and how they did in the Championship...

Che Adams 22

Adam Armstrong 28

Adams has never hit double figures in the Prem but had a 9 in one season. Armstrong has struggled to even get game time.

I don't profess to watch loads of Championship football, but I recall games like the Blackburn v Millwall game last day: great fun to watch but so much space, a decent striker will bag loads. You don't seem to see as many of the chess-like games that you do in the Premier League.

Competitive and challenging yes, but a lot of the difficulty is in the hard slog of two games a week for a lot of the season, and this will impact an ageing Vardy. But if we use him right he'd get 15+ pretty comfortably I would expect.