Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Mads Hermansen

56 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

But its been shown that narrowing the angle and closing down the shot only really works from a) less than 14 yards and b) relatively central positions. From slightly wider and further out positions, engaging the attacker has a negative impact on likelihood of a save.

If Mads wants to narrow the angle, then he needs to commit to it fully instead of dropping and then deciding to do so. IMO though, I think if he backs off that it would take a significantly better finish from Carvalho to beat him.

Engage and react, which is what Mads does, is the worst strategy in virtually all scenarios.

https://x.com/Jhdharrison1/status/1273312389233082369?s=20

It wasn’t a 1 on 1 situation.. he had defenders who could cover any central crosses…

and if you watch the replay, you’ll see he was  half way between the  penalty spot and the edge of the box which would be around 15 yards. Plus if you look at the angle he was running at, it could not be accurate predicted  the trajectory of where he was going to make it. If Mads goes back and more central from that position, there was no chance for him. By keeping the position he did, he trusted his defenders  to cover the crossing ball…

Edited by MPH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, eblair said:

Never in my life seen a team concede a goal from their own goal kick

You should watch some grassroots youth football! It happens all the time there. A kids team having a goal kick is the most dangerous situation there is.

2 minutes ago, eblair said:

All forgiven for yesterday. But let’s not do that ever again Mads

He will. It goes with the territory, playing this way. Keepers at the biggest, richest clubs do it every now and again. As long as it's once (twice at most) a season, it'll be a net gain. Especially if he chooses games we win to do it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eblair said:

Burnley did it yesterday - and lost. 

13 minutes ago, BertFill said:

You should watch some grassroots youth football! It happens all the time there. A kids team having a goal kick is the most dangerous situation there is.

He will. It goes with the territory, playing this way. Keepers at the biggest, richest clubs do it every now and again. As long as it's once (twice at most) a season, it'll be a net gain. Especially if he chooses games we win to do it!

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first goal of its sort this season but can't remember if mads or defenders to blame, and I think 4 or 5 times this sort of thing has happened but not resulted in conceding as well.

First thing I thought to myself yesterday is how come we are the only team conceding in this manner? Maybe cos I don't watch other teams that much, but it mostly seems a problem for us, and mostly this season too. 

It just takes a tiny bit of intelligence to avoid it, it should basically never happen. Could have cost us dearly, and I'm not sure why the big love in for Mads, he doesn't normally have much to do then does something like that yesterday. 

Has a bit too prove in my eyes, I prefer what I've seen from stolar tbh. Happy to see what happens when shots are flying in left right and centre in the PL though, then we'll know how good he is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eblair said:

leicester v watford, went in off chris wood's head. Dont know if it was a goal kick tbf 

Don’t get it me, the keeper is the worst player on the pitch with the ball at his feet yet he’s asked to do that all the time under a silly amount of pressure. There’s a time and a place to hoof it away. 

22 minutes ago, BertFill said:

How will it be a 'net gain'. For it to be a 'net gain' we'd have to score more within two touches of the ball from a goal kick than we do concede within two touches from a goal kick. 

It's currently 0-1 for conceding.

51 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Burnley did it yesterday - and lost. 

No surprise the other Pep disciple trying to play the Pep way without the resources to do so.

It's the pass to Winks with a man on his back that does my head in the most, numerous times yesterday in the lead up to when we did concede we almost messed up through that, it's miracle that this move hasn't led to more goals. Our goal kicks have become one of the best chances for the opposition to score.

He's having to assess his passing options and seemed he just took his eye off how close Stanislas was. Hasn't happened loads this season, and looked pretty composed second half which was good. 

People hate conceding that type of goal because it seems so easily avoidable but whacking it forwards often cedes possession straight away anyway. Thought most of our playing out from the back yesterday was excellent.

• Like 4

Very good keeper who unfortunately is made to look like a chump regularly because he's being asked to make high risk passages right infront of his goal.

Never can blame him for those types of goals.

7 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

No surprise the other Pep disciple trying to play the Pep way without the resources to do so.

It's the pass to Winks with a man on his back that does my head in the most, numerous times yesterday in the lead up to when we did concede we almost messed up through that, it's miracle that this move hasn't led to more goals. Our goal kicks have become one of the best chances for the opposition to score.

And yet you refuse to appreciate the benefits it brings, and instead use belittling terms like 'Pep disciple' when yesterday's mistake wasn't even a move out of the Pep book anyway. It was just a standard move out of the back.

What gets me even more is people trying to blame the moment on Faes.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Don’t get it me, the keeper is the worst player on the pitch with the ball at his feet yet he’s asked to do that all the time under a silly amount of pressure. There’s a time and a place to hoof it away. 

There wasn't really a silly amount of pressure on him at all though. He just fell asleep.

• Like 2

Yep at fault for the equaliser, but his sweeper keeping started the move that led to the winner. If he’s not patrolling further up the pitch as he does then it’s a foot race between Hogan and Faes.

He also made an important save from a deflected shot at 1-1 that was spinning awkwardly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Very good keeper who unfortunately is made to look like a chump regularly because he's being asked to make high risk passages right infront of his goal.

Never can blame him for those types of goals.

He had a simple pass ethier side, with one Birmingham player in the box who not within 12 yards when he receives the ball.

He's not even playing a pass his kicking it long, he takes a touch and doesn't see the player closing him down..

100% Mads fault, which is fine all players make mistakes and he made up for it in the second half.

Edited by coolhandfox

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He had a simple pass ethier side, with one Birmingham player in the box who not within 12 yards when he receives the ball.

He's not even playing a pass his kicking it long, he takes a touch and doesn't see the player closing him down..

100% Mads fault, which is fine all players make mistakes and he made up for it in the second half.

I was also thinking that it's strange to say it's not the keeper's fault, when it cleary was. 

I agree he's at risk to concede those types of goals with the game the manager is asking him to play, but it's still his fault the same way that the manager isn't responsible for scoring goals.

I definitely rate him though. Made some really good saves this season and much more assured that ward.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

If his cb doesn't pass the ball to him while there are 5 players around the box then he doesnt need to have Pirlo esque vision and awareness of his surroundings and available passes.

Its the most laughable tactic thats crept into football.

Im sure in 10 years once Peps no longer flavour of month, people will look back and laugh at how dumb it is.

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If his cb doesn't pass the ball to him while there are 5 players around the box then he doesnt need to have Pirlo esque vision and awareness of his surroundings and available passes.

Its the most laughable tactic thats crept into football.

Im sure in 10 years once Peps no longer flavour of month, people will look back and laugh at how dumb it is.

So 5 players within 18 yards :appl:one actually jogs into the box as he takes far to long on the ball.

His acutally playing a long ball down field and simply doesn't see the player closing him down and gets caught out.

Edited by coolhandfox

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He's been brilliant all season for someone starting out at this level, So he's earned the privilage of making a few mistakes.

Though I still say Fae's was the real mistake,  Mads just compounded it.

But what you are saying is that Faes makes the same mistake 10 times per game!?