Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Mads Hermansen

1 minute ago, CheeseHead said:

But what you are saying is that Faes makes the same mistake 10 times per game!?

Obviously not or we would have conceeded more goals. The object is to retain possession, But not at the risk of giving away a Goal which is what he done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

How will it be a 'net gain'. For it to be a 'net gain' we'd have to score more within two touches of the ball from a goal kick than we do concede within two touches from a goal kick. 

It's currently 0-1 for conceding.

I mean the style of play is ultimately a net gain across the whole season, even if it causes the odd disaster like yesterday.

• Like 2

Just now, moore_94 said:

Mistakes like that happen even to the best keepers

Best thing is that he seemingly didn't let it rattle him, just got on with it and carried on like normal after

That was the biggest thing for me, looked unfazed.

Boy is going to the top has the mentality.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He's been brilliant all season for someone starting out at this level, So he's earned the privilage of making a few mistakes.

Though I still say Fae's was the real mistake,  Mads just compounded it.

Faes not to blame, Mads basically not aware of opposition player. 

19 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He's been brilliant all season for someone starting out at this level, So he's earned the privilage of making a few mistakes.

Though I still say Fae's was the real mistake,  Mads just compounded it.

WTF!?!? Faes did nothing wrong. This is the moment he makes the short pass to Mads. This is something even teams who don't play possession football do regularly. Blaming Feas is nonsense. 

Its Mads mistake, but as has been mentioned a few times, how he regrouped afterwards shows he has a very strong mentality. He'll learn from this - he's young.

image.png.7b8d63d1736ff83b69777d98e0ea235b.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimJams said:

There wasn't really a silly amount of pressure on him at all though. He just fell asleep.

In general I mean not just that goal, he brings it on himself most of the time. He’ll be a very good keeper in the next 2 years. 

27 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Obviously not or we would have conceeded more goals. The object is to retain possession, But not at the risk of giving away a Goal which is what he done.

This is the most bizarre logic I've seen on here, and that's saying something. So you're telling me the plan wasn't to lose the ball and concede a goal? No fvkcing shit.

16 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

This is the most bizarre logic I've seen on here, and that's saying something. So you're telling me the plan wasn't to lose the ball and concede a goal? No fvkcing shit.

When is that ever the plan. ?

29 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

WTF!?!? Faes did nothing wrong. This is the moment he makes the short pass to Mads. This is something even teams who don't play possession football do regularly. Blaming Feas is nonsense. 

Its Mads mistake, but as has been mentioned a few times, how he regrouped afterwards shows he has a very strong mentality. He'll learn from this - he's young.

Yep totally agree. Stansfield has had a 13 yard sprint to close him down, more than adequate time to release the ball.  

2 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

No surprise the other Pep disciple trying to play the Pep way without the resources to do so.

It's the pass to Winks with a man on his back that does my head in the most, numerous times yesterday in the lead up to when we did concede we almost messed up through that, it's miracle that this move hasn't led to more goals. Our goal kicks have become one of the best chances for the opposition to score.

And on the flip side, they’ve also created some out of our best chances to score. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Blokes in the box already imo

52 minutes ago, BertFill said:

I mean the style of play is ultimately a net gain across the whole season, even if it causes the odd disaster like yesterday.

I'm not at all sold that our style of play hinges on a defender taking a goal kick 5 yards across the goal to the goalkeeper. 

If it DOES hinge on that, rather than passing the ball out of danger from a goalkick, I'll need an explanation.

Guest leatherhead32

i like mads but thought he may get caught sooner or later but in the end it made us put in a never quit 2nd half show , plus as chelmofox said he's young hel learn , its a pretty common thing now with gk being sweepers but still makes my heart race.

Time for everyone to really get behind the kid now for the last push.

Sing his name, make him feel loved.

We need him at the top of his game to get us over the line.

49 minutes ago, Bert said:

And on the flip side, they’ve also created some out of our best chances to score. 

I'd love to see an objective, scientifically-conducted study into the effectiveness of that particular build-up from goal kicks. Of course, I understand the potential benefits of beating a press, but I'm unconvinced that the success rate makes it justifiable to build up in that way as a matter of course.

In the Norwich game, much of our pressure could have been attributed to their failure to make that specific move work (including one of the goals). It's something I see across football which often seems not to work, and in our build-up play too. I'd love to see a study which shows where the possession goes in the next 8-10 passes; who has the ball and where.

In modern football I can never decide which aspects are the natural evolution of the game, and which are fads encouraged by people trying to replicate the best sides (with mixed results) or a consequence of incredibly rich owners contracting managers with the primary purpose of doing just that. I suspect this is something which has caught on without managers properly evaluating when to use it, how to use it, and how often to use it. But I could easily be shown to be wrong.

• Like 1

Tbf, Birmingham did a good job of blocking out any obvious ball out. Mads got it, no pass on, then KDH (I think it was) made a move into space near the centre circle, Mads went to pass to him but by then it was too late. Mistakes happen, it’s how he learns from it.

12 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I'd love to see an objective, scientifically-conducted study into the effectiveness of that particular build-up from goal kicks. Of course, I understand the potential benefits of beating a press, but I'm unconvinced that the success rate makes it justifiable to build up in that way as a matter of course.

In the Norwich game, much of our pressure could have been attributed to their failure to make that specific move work (including one of the goals). It's something I see across football which often seems not to work, and in our build-up play too. I'd love to see a study which shows where the possession goes in the next 8-10 passes; who has the ball and where.

In modern football I can never decide which aspects are the natural evolution of the game, and which are fads encouraged by people trying to replicate the best sides (with mixed results) or a consequence of incredibly rich owners contracting managers with the primary purpose of doing just that. I suspect this is something which has caught on without managers properly evaluating when to use it, how to use it, and how often to use it. But I could easily be shown to be wrong.

Great post. 

Indeed teams could sometimes beat the 'high press' by simply clipping the ball over the three or four opponents primed to chase. Takes out those pressers without any risk at all. 

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Great post. 

Indeed teams could sometimes beat the 'high press' by simply clipping the ball over the three or four opponents primed to chase. Takes out those pressers without any risk at all. 

Yeah, and if there were a greater element of uncertainty about how someone would go about beating the press, then perhaps the 'three men in the six yard box' build-up from the kick would be less predictable and more effective.

• Like 1

N9 knee jerk reaction required.

Hes a good goalie and usually cool as a cucumber and actually a decent passer.

Fecked up big time but didnt let it phase him.

I was angry as the next man but we got through it do if a mistake was going to happen, glad it was yesterday!

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Blokes in the box already imo

That is a very good point. I can't recall there's been a VAR call on that sort of an incident, but it does sort of seem like he's just in the box as the ball goes to Mads...?

Regardless, it's a mistake from Mads and not one he's made often. The resilience to dust himself off and keep playing after without a knock to his confidence is fantastic.

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

For me, the only person to blame for the goal is Maresca. 

why are you instructing your players to play keep ball when 1-0 up on the stroke go half time and you have a goal kick. Take time out the game and then lump it long to ensure you get to half time with the lead in tact. 

if we would have tried to play a few passes first I could half understand, but we played a short pass only for Mads to attempt to clear it long. That’s just stupidity. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, frany104 said:

For me, the only person to blame for the goal is Maresca. 

why are you instructing your players to play keep ball when 1-0 up on the stroke go half time and you have a goal kick. Take time out the game and then lump it long to ensure you get to half time with the lead in tact. 

if we would have tried to play a few passes first I could half understand, but we played a short pass only for Mads to attempt to clear it long. That’s just stupidity. 

You reap what you sow. Eventually.

The chances of going through the whole season playing those ridiculously unnecessary - dare I say cocky - balls to the keeper in front of his goal and not getting caught out once are minimal.

Playing out from the back as a strategy is fine. But I can’t be the only one who gets edgy every time we use this stupidly risky tactic.