Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

19 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I genuinely despair at you lot

How can you turn on players like this? He wasn't great but ****ing hell. He's been class. He is having to play a full 90 for no apparent reason and he's having to do a lot of running because we haven't got the ball as much as we did earlier in the season. 

All for constructive criticism but some of these comments are genuinely absurd. 

He’s been absolutely bobbins ever since Leeds away. Needs taking out the side for a bit desperately but with an injured McAteer, an Albrighton that Enzo doesn’t rate and a Wanya that Enzo doesn’t trust it’s not going to happen.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I genuinely despair at you lot

How can you turn on players like this? He wasn't great but ****ing hell. He's been class. He is having to play a full 90 for no apparent reason and he's having to do a lot of running because we haven't got the ball as much as we did earlier in the season. 

All for constructive criticism but some of these comments are genuinely absurd. 

To be honest I'd expect those attributes from every player, all the time for the wages they get and the pride of playing for LCFC, however I am hoping a break will do him and others some good, he was not great today, the corner he took kind off summed it up for me, its dissapointing as we all know he is an excellent player when on it, just need to see it consistently.

16 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

He’s been absolutely bobbins ever since Leeds away. Needs taking out the side for a bit desperately but with an injured McAteer, an Albrighton that Enzo doesn’t rate and a Wanya that Enzo doesn’t trust it’s not going to happen.

He's not being helped by having to play all these minutes though is he? I don't get the tired comments and then using 2 subs. It's Brendan esque. This isn't the times for messages to the board.

• Like 1

Just now, Gamble92 said:

10 goals in 37 games from the left. Come on he's been great for us. We shouldn't be over reacting here. 

IMG_0431.jpeg.2d5cc42e34c6c55f197c9d09487c60fa.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

He's not being helped by having to play all these minutes though is he? I don't get the tired comments and then using 2 subs. It's Brendan esque. This isn't the times for messages to the board.

Don’t disagree at all. Think there’s a few that look jaded but he clearly doesn’t rate anyone outside of about 15 players.

• Like 2

Shocked by some of the vitriol in here. Stephy has been off it since the Leeds game but overall he's had a really good season. 

I worry that he's been burnt out by Enzo - he's been played week in, week out for the full 90 minutes and because of the system we play, he and Abdul have to do so much running as they're expected to track back a lot to help the wide CBs. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

Had a good season, 10 goals from a winger is good at any level, but been off it for a while now. Shame we haven’t got much competition for our wide positions.

• Like 1

Said it so many times, he has no competition for a place. Maresca wanted Sensi, we needed wingers for cover and competition for Mavididi/Fatawu.

Edited by Tuna

10 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

10 goals in 37 games from the left. Come on he's been great for us. We shouldn't be over reacting here. 

Whilst I’m not disputing what you say, I do get confused that pretty much ALL season, it’s been highlighted that Enzo (like a lot of modern managers) is more of a system manager than personnel.

With Enzo’s system clearly inflating our wingers numbers to the detriment of the CF….with that in mind and us winning 26 matches in the league surely that means we should have greater expectations on said wingers?

He’s had a decent season and also been inconsistent (poor at times), like many wingers over the years.

is he top draw, perhaps not, but he’s been one of the better players this season. 

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

Said it so many times, he has no competition for a place. Maresca wanted Sensi, we needed wingers for cover and competition for Mavididi/Fatawu.

Albrighton and Marcal as back ups okay they aren’t the same level as Mavididi and Fatawu but they are still good ish options at this level.

7 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

what he has been in the past is irrelevant .. what we need from him over the next 9 games is all that matters and at the moment he ain't cutting the mustard  

• Like 1

I like Mavididi and think he’s done a great job for us this season. What I don’t understand is why both he and Fatawu are not taking people on and cutting the ball back anymore. It seems to have been replaced by deft crosses or passing back. I loved the fact Enzo asked his wingers to beat their man early on. Are we seeing less of it? Or am I imagining it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I like Mavididi and think he’s done a great job for us this season. What I don’t understand is why both he and Fatawu are not taking people on and cutting the ball back anymore. It seems to have been replaced by deft crosses or passing back. I loved the fact Enzo asked his wingers to beat their man early on. Are we seeing less of it? Or am I imagining it?

No. Your right. They've gone conservative. Fats only ever had a crack once in a while anyway. But Stephy started the season nearly always trying to take his man on. Yesterday he often feignted to do it, with space available. But instead turned sideways and passed it lateral / back. For me that's a confidence thing. In his mind, the dribble  no longer feels the right thing to do. Which is to clearly to the teams detriment 

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

No. Your right. They've gone conservative. Fats only ever had a crack once in a while anyway. But Stephy started the season nearly always trying to take his man on. Yesterday he often feignted to do it, with space available. But instead turned sideways and passed it lateral / back. For me that's a confidence thing. In his mind, the dribble  no longer feels the right thing to do. Which is to clearly to the teams detriment 

I also think teams are getting more physical with him and leaving stuff on him. Wingers are all about confidence. That can affect a player’s mind. Or maybe he’s just tired. Perfectly possible. 

Doyle helps Mavididi so much, JJ and him have 0 combination play down that line. Mavididi is out of form and his head looks west, but he’s also taking the ball with his back to play on the half way line way too much. Get Doyle in, get him playing Mavadidi down that line with his left and he’ll be much more dangerous. 

Apart from a fool posting a meme trying to antagonise and adding nothing, everyone else seems to have contributed to a usual discussion on an out and out winger. They unfortunately run hot and cold. I remember Riyad Mahrez who is the best winger we’ve ever had, had periods where he infuriated many. The role seems to have many ups but also periods of downs. Barnes another one who had these

Stephy’s down needs snapping out of and developing to have a some impact (perhaps not as influential during his ups but still an impact in parts) during such downs will allow him to be a PL winger - he has many qualities to be one. He’ll have an up period again this year, I’m sure of it. 

I think there's a degree of the rest of the team and probably the tactics that aren't helping either Mav or Fats at the attacking end.

Fats had Wilf pre injury running as an inside overlap meaning he had a player drawing defenders to either receive the ball or open up space for Fats to come inside. Since Wilfs injury whoever plays does not do that. Nobody does that for Mav on the left. KDH doesn't provide those runs like Wilf. That may be by design, so Mav has the space to move into, but the problem I have is that where Mav picks the ball up, he's too far wide imo. If he beats his man, he's still not generally in a threatening position. He's in a better position for a lay off or he's in position to have another man to beat, but rarely is he in a decent position to shoot, nor cross for the striker.  He's generally not gaining much from going past a player.  If you can give him the ball whilst on the move, driving into the box, he'll be so much more of a threat. At present he's often getting the ball closer to the sideline on a standing start against a reset defence.

• Like 1