Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

On 12/03/2024 at 16:21, moore_94 said:

lol

Can you imagine if they win on Sunday and go top until our next game.

They'll probably bring out an entire range of "We were top for 2 weeks" merchandise

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Im not sure our players can handle the pressure of being second 

Coady, Albrighton & Vardy should be a huge help. Hopefully on & off the pitch. 

Coady & MA, in particular,should get more game time than they currently are, IMO. 

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We bottled 19/20 big time. We went from being in a title race to absolute collapse. Our form in the second half of the year was embarrassing, it's easy to blame COVID but we actually started dropping off before then.

And I'll die on this hill, we had the 3rd best team in the league that year. We were up there on merit. People forget how shit Arsenal, United, Chelsea et all were. This is Chelsea with a transfer ban having to start all their kids ffs. Tammy Abraham vs a peak Jamie Vardy? Come on. 

But 20/21, eh. The Big Six closed the gap and despite that Liverpool and Chelsea started poorly. They went on the rampage late in the season and just caught us up. The last game of the season we definitely bottled it but on the whole our form was consistent all year it's just those two hugely improved their points per game. 

I think Rodgers delivered below par in 19/20 and par in 20/21 given the quality of our team vs where we finished. 

United were a shambles pre covid that season no way on earth should we have finished below them that year.

We should have had top 4 and a cup final as a minimum that year 

Edited by MattFox

30 minutes ago, MattFox said:

United were a shambles pre covid that season no way on earth should we have finished below them that year.

30 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Wasn’t this “FernandesTime” when every time anyone went near him he went down rolling round in agony and getting numerous free kicks/penalties?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MattFox said:

all i remember from utd in covid 2020 season was them getting a dodgy penalty in every game lol them and chelsea were quite poor and we really should've finished third. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I always said, always thought, the Norwich home game in 19/20 was the one that seemed to kill us. Then lost to Man City and Liverpool (battered by them). Just inconsistent ever since those games. The Bournemouth, Spurs and Man Utd games at the end of the season especially were shocking and littered with player mistakes.

The following season was like a copy, the last three games Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs. Even worse that Chelsea lost to Villa on the last day! Winning the FA Cup was superb, and beyond wildest dreams, but also helped cover over the bottling of 4th.

We got 24 points from the last 22 games in the 19/20 season, it wasnt inconsistent, it was consistently lower midtable form for over half the season. 

For example if we had that form in this PL season we would be between Bournemouth and Crystal palace. The 19/20 season is incredibly overrated, a run of games where Vardy was finishing every chance that landed to him masked the fact that we were poor for the majority of that season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

We bottled 19/20 big time. We went from being in a title race to absolute collapse. Our form in the second half of the year was embarrassing, it's easy to blame COVID but we actually started dropping off before then.

And I'll die on this hill, we had the 3rd best team in the league that year. We were up there on merit. People forget how shit Arsenal, United, Chelsea et all were. This is Chelsea with a transfer ban having to start all their kids ffs. Tammy Abraham vs a peak Jamie Vardy? Come on. 

But 20/21, eh. The Big Six closed the gap and despite that Liverpool and Chelsea started poorly. They went on the rampage late in the season and just caught us up. The last game of the season we definitely bottled it but on the whole our form was consistent all year it's just those two hugely improved their points per game. 

I think Rodgers delivered below par in 19/20 and par in 20/21 given the quality of our team vs where we finished. 

Thrashing Villa was the last game pre-Covid wasn't it? That could of actually helped us turn things round, but Covid took away any possible momentum we could of taken from that result.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Thrashing Villa was the last game pre-Covid wasn't it? That could of actually helped us turn things round, but Covid took away any possible momentum we could of taken from that result.

Yeah quite possibly. We will never really know. I just think it's too easy to completely blame covid though. 

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think on par for 20/21 is a bit harsh. 5th + trophy with some of the injuries we had was a good achievement. 

On 13/03/2024 at 10:40, Babylon said:

You can only trade if people are interested, let's not forget that when we probably would have wanted to sell, the drop in spending across Europe was a billion or two lower than normal due to covid. Then you had huge ups and down in form and injuries. 

Ideally I think we'd have loved a decent offer at the right time, doesn't always work like that though. 

You present this argument as if the club (specifically rudkin) have no responsibility for selling players and they just sit there waiting for bids to come in. Speak to anyone who works in football and they'll tell you it's the exact opposite of this - there's many ways you can do this.

It's the clubs responsibility to generate interest, many clubs have been able to do it with average players but our inability to do this has cost us. Largely due to Rudkins lack of ability (and in many cases refusal) to deal with certain agents and the our inability to market players (use of loans, incentive based deals, etc...). 

• Like 1