Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

On 14/05/2024 at 08:18, Chocolate Teapot said:

Genuinely baffled Owynn and Pipes let him get away with this. They're better than that.

Piper might be. Owynn definitely isn't.

He's still starry eyed at being allowed a bit of access at the club. They could serve him a turd, call it a meat-log and he'd eat it. Let's not pretend he's some kind of proper journalist. 

On 13/05/2024 at 20:36, Gamble92 said:

I thought the first 10-15 minutes of the interview were much better than last time. Matt Piper joked about being scared of Guillem last time and I love Piper so I didn't say that on here, but he definitely gave Enzo rightful criticism this time.

Guillem though. My word. You have to ask yourself if Enzo is as good as he says and is so sought after why he feels the need to do this role he's doing for him? It comes across as slimy and a way of almost forcing his demands above the clubs best interests. There was a lot of "it's nothing like Brendan" from the three of them but I'm getting massive Brendan vibes from it. 

It's genuinely quite staggering how much the narrative can change because of a couple of wins. No one is more happy than me we achieved what we did but don't take Leicester fans or any football fans for fools. We know what we watch. We aren't knuckle dragging, brain dead morons who just want a return to the good old days. We are very patient, we have given him more than enough of that. But don't piss on our shoes and call it rain. We can see there's been absolutely appalling errors in management and absolute stubbornness this season. 

To just gloss it all over now and say if you want Europe stick with him, if not maybe you should realise why you ended up in the Championship? Nah that don't wash with me mate. Like a used car salesman, and not a very good one. 

Brenda Enzo peas in a pod. The only difference upto now is Enzo takes responsibility for whatever happens on the pitch. But I'm guessing time will come when he won't.

Then I'm guessing just like Rodgers even Doris the tea lady will be to blame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's a very interesting quote. I think I do align with that belief talking entirely personally more than I do the Pep way and that's while having total admiration for how good Pep actually is. I think there's a lot in that - Pep is of such a level that so many try to emulate what he does but I do think it's too common nowadays that coaches will stifle the flair somewhat. I think it's made for a poorer spectacle. I'm glad Ancelotti with this mindset is still producing loads of success. I can't help but think Vinicius wouldn't be anywhere near both as effective and as fun under most other managers.

Ancelotti's methods allow players to standout. To improvise, to be allowed to go for individual moments of brilliance rather than stay cemented to their responsibility within the system.

Which one is more effective comes down to whether the total sum of the parts with extremely technical players, swallowing their egos to become footballing robots (Pep's style) will trump a team of extremely talented players who are empowered to play the game how they see fit (Ancelotti's style).

Looking at the records of the teams these two manage in recent years it's very close, Pep probably shades it but you lose something playing this way in my opinion. The magic that got you in to football as a spell bound kid lends itself more to footballing freedom.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Ancelotti's methods allow players to standout. To improvise, to be allowed to go for individual moments of brilliance rather than stay cemented to their responsibility within the system.

Which one is more effective comes down to whether the total sum of the parts with extremely technical players, swallowing their egos to become footballing robots (Pep's style) will trump a team of extremely talented players who are empowered to play the game how they see fit (Ancelotti's style).

Looking at the records of the teams these two manage in recent years it's very close, Pep probably shades it but you lose something playing this way in my opinion. The magic that got you in to football as a spell bound kid lends itself more to footballing freedom.

I do think at Real Madrid where the objective is simply buy the best players, where they can attract nearly anybody it's bound to work better there, but I still think it's a force for good. Its why in a perverse way I actually don't mind Real Madrid winning things because it's a victory for this type of almost freestyle. Watching everybody play the same mechanical football just ensures less upsets, ensures repeat winners etc... I wish more upcoming coaches had that Ancelotti mindset in a way.

This is no call for hoping Ancelotti or Real Madrid dominate everything but more a counterbalance. Football is healthier for variety.

• Like 4

I do wonder what promises/assurances Maresca has been given after his meetings with Top / the board.

The financial problems don't vanish overnight and I really hope there's a strategy in place that's achievable. If it requires player sales to raise funds for Enzo then I'm hugely wary. This is an area we have been diabolical in. We've moved on only 5 or so players in the last 4 years for any sort of transfer fee that weren't key 1st team players and/or whom we wanted to sell.

We didn't manage to move on a single players who's contract was close to expiring either and yet there must have been forecast tens of millions of pounds of such players going as part of the previous x years strategy.

It probably rests purely on selling KDH and we're told this is likely to be required just to comply for 2023/24, so what that will mean for 2024/25 squad build remains to be seen. It's hard to see where we can raise serious profit, even selling players such as Daka for £15m would only make us £5m profit and who's going to pay that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I do wonder what promises/assurances Maresca has been given after his meetings with Top / the board.

The financial problems don't vanish overnight and I really hope there's a strategy in place that's achievable. If it requires player sales to raise funds for Enzo then I'm hugely wary. This is an area we have been diabolical in. We've moved on only 5 or so players in the last 4 years for any sort of transfer fee that weren't key 1st team players and/or whom we wanted to sell.

We didn't manage to move on a single players who's contract was close to expiring either and yet there must have been forecast tens of millions of pounds of such players going as part of the previous x years strategy.

It probably rests purely on selling KDH and we're told this is likely to be required just to comply for 2023/24, so what that will mean for 2024/25 squad build remains to be seen. It's hard to see where we can raise serious profit, even selling players such as Daka for £15m would only make us £5m profit and who's going to pay that?

If we can sell KDH and make PSR for 23/24, we have some decent head room for 24/25.

Mainly due to the worse year (21/22) dropping out of the calculations and our amortisation being down to around 20m from a all time high of 77m and a massively reduced wage bill.

We could easily spend 50-75m and only add 10-15m annually to the amortisation.

But we massively need to learn from our mistakes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I do find it baffling that a guy whose had 1 good season as a manager has apparently had so much interest in him from around Europe. 
Imo I still think we have a better chance of stopping up next season with someone else in charge. 

I agree

28 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I do find it baffling that a guy whose had 1 good season as a manager has apparently had so much interest in him from around Europe. 
Imo I still think we have a better chance of stopping up next season with someone else in charge. 

Depends who the someone else is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

you have to imagine that, if he is staying, Top has promised him more control over the football operation / decision making in the immediate term (scouting, recruitment etc) and longer term that funds will be made available.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

you have to imagine that, if he is staying, Top has promised him more control over the football operation / decision making in the immediate term (scouting, recruitment etc) and longer term that funds will be made available.

Would hope that is not the case, but more that a plan was presented on how we modernise the structures within the club and in this process he will have his part to play.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would hope that is not the case, but more that a plan was presented on how we modernise the structures within the club and in this process he will have his part to play.

If there is a grain of truth in what Balague is saying it appears Enzo has very clear expectations on what he wants / expects which of course could turn out to be great if it worked. 

You just worry giving away too much control, so soon after the Rodgers and Congerton debacle (after initial success) combined with the disconnect with Rudders that it could go spectacularly bad.  

I don’t see Rudders going away but maybe a sporting director will be appointed who Enzo respects and Rudders redeployed.

Edited by JimmyC74

1 minute ago, JimmyC74 said:

If there is a grain of truth in what Balague is saying it appears Enzo has very clear expectations on what he wants - which of course could turn out to be great if it worked. 

You just worry, so soon after Rodgers and Congerton and the disconnect with Rudders that it could go spectacularly bad.  

I don’t see Rudders going away but maybe a sporting director will be appointed and Rudders redeployed.

Agree on Rudkin, don’t see any way he goes as he clearly has some value to Top et al,  but the shifting of him sideways within King Power seems quite feasible, replacing his position with a more qualified individual or even team of qualified personnel. I am guessing this is what Enzo is looking for.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

If we can sell KDH and make PSR for 23/24, we have some decent head room for 24/25.

Mainly due to the worse year (21/22) dropping out of the calculations and our amortisation being down to around 20m from a all time high of 77m and a massively reduced wage bill.

We could easily spend 50-75m and only add 10-15m annually to the amortisation.

But we massively need to learn from our mistakes.

But as the worst year drops, so has the limit after relegation for the first year in the accounts, before any changes on last years accounts happen a 16% percent reduction will be needed on permitted losses. That could be the 10-15m you mention.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

But as the worst year drops, so has the limit after relegation for the first year in the accounts, before any changes on last years accounts happen a 16% percent reduction will be needed on permitted losses. That could be the 10-15m you mention.

The positive impact of the worse year dropping out of the 3 year calculation period far out weighs the impact of  reduction in the PSR limits.

If we broke even for 24/25, the positive impact of 21/22 season dropping out would be around 72m.

The negative impact of the reduction in PSR limit due to relegation is 22m.

Posted (edited)
On 16/05/2024 at 09:01, foxile5 said:

Piper might be. Owynn definitely isn't.

He's still starry eyed at being allowed a bit of access at the club. They could serve him a turd, call it a meat-log and he'd eat it. Let's not pretend he's some kind of proper journalist. 

Bit harsh on Owynn. Think he's done a good job under circumstances. Started off too much of a Stringer prototype but he comes across well and he asks a lot of good questions. 

The pandering to Guillem was way too much in both interviews but guess it's the price you pay to have a "big name" interview. It's all in the ground work for Enzo to relay his message to local radio though. Brendan's tactics were more to get them onside personally by pretending to befriend them all. Enzo is just using Guillem as a mouthpiece.

Edited by Gamble92
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@moore_94 Personally think Brighton have peaked.

It going to take some going to get them back to the levels of De Zerbi first season. 

Not sure he gets any more backing there in the medium to long term.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

It going to take some going to get them back to the levels of De Zerbi first season.

Depends how they spend really, going to have a lot of money for the new manager to improve the squad with

Certainly going to be a lot more "comfortable" for a manager compared to us for a few seasons

Edited by moore_94

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure he gets any more backing there in the medium to long term.

The model they use basically has them stuck for now.

They'll sell Mitoma this summer, Ferguson and Joao Pedro can't seem to stay fit. They'll need another gem or two to continue holding their place or they'll gradually drop down.

PSR rules basically stop any teams ability to kick on from here. 

20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Will Brighton try for Enzo?

I thought this straight away he fits there model! But I think Brighton have had there moment now and it’s come to an end.

• Like 1