Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

VAR

Said it before, IF you are going to have VAR, it needs to be done by AI and decisions be nigh on instant. It should be there to support the officials not undermine them or put them on the stage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think there is a chance that some fundamental VAR changes might come from that Liverpool offside blunder. If it happened against say Wolves or Brentford I'm sure it would be swept under the carpet after a day or so but such a blatant mistake happening against the darling Scousers means it will get far more media attention. Liverpool themselves are also gonna complain harder than most clubs (it means more remember!) and are less likely to be fobbed off by the authorities with them not wanting to offend one of their golden geese.

Edited by Gubbins
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Spudulike said:

This latest VAR mistake would've been forgotten by the next day if it wasn't Liverpool. Loving the whinging by the pretend scousers from Milton Keynes but what an hilarious farce that match was. 

Absolutely spot on, if this happened to Leicester in the Premier League we would hardly have got a mention at the end of motd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Unabomber said:

VAR is horrific and ruined the game. Loving this season so far without it. Bittersweet that promotion will result in that shite again. 

So much about the premiership that ain’t all that. Certainly positives and negatives if we do go up. 

If they cannot get VAR right then get rid. It is ruining games. One of the great joys is celebrating goals. Now you have to wait 5 minutes (sometimes) before they can make a decision. I watched a bit of Villa game v Brighton. The issue was did the ball go over the byline (for Brighton goal) but they checked and checked and tried to find a reason not to allow the goal. For me it was clear that if the ball was in play it was a goal. Liverpool offside was just a joke. I would prefer a red to get it wrong than there be VAR and they still get it wrong.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Said it before, IF you are going to have VAR, it needs to be done by AI and decisions be nigh on instant. It should be there to support the officials not undermine them or put them on the stage.

Yes, this is my issue with it. We're putting rubbish referees behind video screens, the same rubbish decisions are still gonna be made.

11 hours ago, MalletFox said:

Serious question, does anyone genuinely think that the Premier League and/or Premier League officials, including VAR has been subject to corruption (either in the past or currently)?

Some of these decisions are so obscene, it’s beyond gross negligence.

VAR and the PL officiating is blatantly corrupt!  You'd have to be thick as s**t not to recognise the facts/evidence in front of you every week.

Edited by weller54
  • Like 1

The problem with the Premier League is the same as with any other business I’m sure we've all experienced it at work. You've got small customers and big customers. Everyone knows without being told you bend over backwards for the big customers. You pull a small customer's job and tell them the machines broken for a big customer who wants something quickly.

The Premiere League now has 7 rich clubs who are the big earners for them. The fan bases around the world are massive they want to watch Man U against Liverpool, not Fulham against Leicester. Same with Sky, they both benefit if the rich 7 are doing well and referees are effectively employed by the Premier League, no matter how many layers you put between them.

That's, a massive conflict of interest, even if you don’t believe corruption exists.

The fact is, the more money and power, the more corruption, so why you think football is exempt when every other big organisation has it, is your choice.

Remember the 2019/20 season where Man City were banned from the Champions League for the following season. If we finished in the top 5 we’d be in the Champions League instead of Man City. We all knew that couldn’t be allowed. Was anyone surprised when the rule was changed halfway through the season to allow Man City to take our place?

Remember when the then big 6, tried to break away from the Premier League? They returned to be told they would all face huge punishment. What punishments did they receive?

VAR has made it even worse. Another poster mentioned last week that it's almost got to pantomime levels. Every time people start to make comments about VAR being biased toward the rich teams, somehow a report appears that points out it's not true. It somehow says that smaller clubs have benefited from VAR, not the big teams!

And before anyone says we all think the refs are against us. I’m 57, but apart from the odd game, I’ve never thought the refs were biased against us. That's changed since 2015/16. The 2019/20 season when it looked nailed on for a top-four finish, yes we didn't play well in the run-in, but the amount of decisions that went against us was pantomime.

This season there have been a few bad decisions but I don’t feel any bias against us.

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 21:13, MalletFox said:

Serious question, does anyone genuinely think that the Premier League and/or Premier League officials, including VAR has been subject to corruption (either in the past or currently)?

Some of these decisions are so obscene, it’s beyond gross negligence.

I used to say it half jokingly but I'm increasingly thinking that it's scripted. Creative a narrative around X team and then give them every helping hand they can get. This is a league driven by image and reputation, it is no good for either of those things if Man City turn this into a Bayern / PSG situation which is getting nearer and nearer for what it's worth. It looks to me like Spurs are flavour of the month. Coincidentally Man City had an absolute howler decision against them at the weekend as well.

I could be wrong but I'm baffled that people can watch this lack of professionalism week in, week out and yet be so convinced that there's no way there's anything dodgy going on.

• Like 2

If the offside rule went back to being “daylight between players”, VAR might actually work better. 

The handball rule in current form works. If the ball is smashed at you from point blank range, a bit of common sense needs to apply. Anything below the elbow is not handball. 

Some decisions like penalties, red cards etc are always going to be subjective. I’d argue that waiting on a penalty call, adds to the drama. 

If used correctly, VAR works. 

I would like to see it used more like it does in rugby, with direct discussion with the VAR official. 

• Like 1

Also case in point, Liverpooo have benefitted from many VAR decisions. The one time they’ve been screwed, the world is ending. 

I was reading something earlier, that at the end of February last season, without VAR, Liverpool would have only been 6 points above the relegation zone. 

• Like 3

How anyone can say VAR isn’t better in the game, I will never understand. Yes how it’s managed isn’t great, however surely not conceding from an unfair goal is better? 

what has annoyed me about the Liverpool non goal, is they have rightly requested audio and created a storm (as they should). I wish we had done that over some of our dubious Officiating over the last few seasons. 

Officials now being blasted for not breaking rules of play to give the goal having realised the issue. 

Releasing the audio, whilst needed for a complete picture, is now just being used to hit the PGMOL. 

Ffs I'm seeing them being slated for using nicknames or names rather than "official titles". They've ****ed up, apologised, move on.

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turkish14 said:

How anyone can say VAR isn’t better in the game, I will never understand. Yes how it’s managed isn’t great, however surely not conceding from an unfair goal is better? 

what has annoyed me about the Liverpool non goal, is they have rightly requested audio and created a storm (as they should). I wish we had done that over some of our dubious Officiating over the last few seasons. 

People say that because football should be geared towards the enjoyment of people watching in the stadium. Without the fans in the stadium football wouldn't have the TV audiences it currently has.  VAR has tainted the match day experience. 

• Like 1

Im seeing rumours that betting companies are getting involved as they stand to lose money.  Probably a massive conspiracy theory and listening to the audio released by PGMOL for the Liverpool Spursy game, its a shambles yes, and doubtful its consoired to make sure betting companies dont lose out.  However, I would not put it past SKY, betting companies and PGMOL working to ensure companies dont lose out.   

• Haha 1

One of the issues is that the people who use the system don't have any logic, common sense and the majority of them don't have a clue about this job or football in general. It's even worse when you realise they're paid thousands per game. 

The VAR job should be open to any citizen of the country, not only refs, with a logical and not excessive salary. For most people it will take just a 1h training to learn to use the system. Everyone should be able to apply. Do they think at PGMOL, FIFA, FA etc their incompetent corrupted refs are rocket scientists or nuclear engineers? 

The elitism is destroying this beautiful game. They're behaving like a cult, they're all wannabe dictators. The more power and exclusivity they have the more our beloved sport will be destroyed. 

We fans must unite eventually. A weekend boycott from all football games must take place. Let them play alone, let them feel like idiots including all these spoilt footballers who are embarrassing the sport with their behaviour. 

3 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Some things you can't see with the naked eye live. Just let it flow and the ref/linesman decision to stand. CM offside is a pharce. 

Without  VAR the Liverpool decision would have still been wrong as offside was given and not sure it would have just been accepted as one of those things tbh

They need to have clear guidelines of communication and let each other talk when discussing an incident as every video seems to show the VAR team shouting and talking over each other so things will get mis heard and people panic .

The trouble is really a lot of decisions are very subjective and whilst there have been a lot of shockers that really shouldn’t happen a lot are calls which simply come down to the lottery of what said officials on the day think unfortunately.

Except now rather than just one or two we now have 4/5 giving their opinion often putting pressure on the man in the middle .

• Like 1

I can understand the argument for binning off var so you can celebrate goals without var checks etc.

The amount of people that talk as though there are just as many if not more bad decisions then before var is ridiculous.  If you want to bin it off fine but the standards of refs will still remain the same.  Without var you have to accept more bad decisions affecting games.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Officials now being blasted for not breaking rules of play to give the goal having realised the issue. 

Releasing the audio, whilst needed for a complete picture, is now just being used to hit the PGMOL. 

Ffs I'm seeing them being slated for using nicknames or names rather than "official titles". They've ****ed up, apologised, move on.

Still don't know how they haven't looked at other sports and made it better. Rugby a prime example. The ref makes a decision which is clearly communicated to the TMO (VAR), e.g. on field decision is offside, is there a reason I should award the goal or can you confirm if there was no offside. Communication and understanding of the on-field decision seems to have been the issue for the weekend's call.

• Like 2

The other issue var has is fans don't understand it. The amount of people saying that it's for clear and obvious errors when refering to a possible offside shows fans just don't do enough reading of rules and policies to appreciate when and where errors are being made in Var

3 hours ago, Sly said:

If the offside rule went back to being “daylight between players”, VAR might actually work better. 

The handball rule in current form works. If the ball is smashed at you from point blank range, a bit of common sense needs to apply. Anything below the elbow is not handball. 

Some decisions like penalties, red cards etc are always going to be subjective. I’d argue that waiting on a penalty call, adds to the drama. 

If used correctly, VAR works. 

I would like to see it used more like it does in rugby, with direct discussion with the VAR official. 

How the hell would they implement that lol

Drawing lines to find day light when the angle isn't aligned with play. Yeah good luck.