Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window 2024

Thought I'd start a Leicester specific January thread.

Will we make moves for any players or is that dependent on sales and getting some more off the wage bill?

Will we go for a left footed defender or an actual player that can do the Winks role as we don't want him burning out?

All I would say about the club is that it should be planning ahead.

IF (Big) we are still setting the pace that we are now, the purchases if there are any, should be players expected to perform or be squad players in the PL.  We'll need a good 6 players across the next 2 windows - 1st team/squad to ensure we stay up without any panic next year, to kick on afterwards.

We don't want to buy Championship players for half a season.  All focus should be on PL standard players.

Edited by The boy Linacre
  • Like 2

I think it'll mainly be a selling window. getting some of the high earning deadwood off the wage bill (if clubs will take them), which would likely happen towards the end of the window. so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a very quiet window up until the last few days.

The only position I can see us buying, bizarrely enough, is a left footer to cover Doyle. but by that time, Justin may have excelled.

• Like 1

Disagree about outgoings only. We will need to add a couple of faces to keep things fresh. Look at the seasons we were missing top 4 due to standing still in January. Yes we have more depth relatively speaking than we did then but the principle applies still. If you stand still, you go backwards.

Position wise, as others have said, left sided defender and those ‘full back/inverted full back’ roles generally.

The fact there is a fear around a Winks injury highlights the need for more depth there as well. Even the number 8 positions may need looking at depending how Casadei settles as we are a bit light there.

Wingers are fine (unless we suffer another injury or two) and strikers of Cannon has come back fit. We will be light during AFCON but we can only account so much for this. This point also applies to the number 8’s as Ndidi will be missing.

I’d be looking at young players who can step up or loans with options for the summer, both with an eye on Premier League if we are still looking comfortable in January.

I just don't think it is logistically feasible that Nacho and/or Daka leave in January with AFCON going on. Not impossible, but highly improbable imho. The tournament runs from Jan 13th until Feb 11th. Their countries might, if they are nice, allow them to play the FA Cup 3rd round with us before leaving to prepare for the tournament. So that means that any potential transfers would have to completed in the first few days of the window. Possible, but unlikely given football clubs usually aren't so proactive. Or, their respective countries would need to be knocked out of the tournament early in the group stages. Also possible, but unlikely given 16 of the 24 participants will advance from the group stage to the 2nd round. Maybe their countries would allow them to fly back to Europe to complete a transfer between games during the tournament - again possible, but again I would say unlikely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I just don't think it is logistically feasible that Nacho and/or Daka leave in January with AFCON going on. Not impossible, but highly improbable imho. The tournament runs from Jan 13th until Feb 11th. Their countries might, if they are nice, allow them to play the FA Cup 3rd round with us before leaving to prepare for the tournament. So that means that any potential transfers would have to completed in the first few days of the window. Possible, but unlikely given football clubs usually aren't so proactive. Or, their respective countries would need to be knocked out of the tournament early in the group stages. Also possible, but unlikely given 16 of the 24 participants will advance from the group stage to the 2nd round. Maybe their countries would allow them to fly back to Europe to complete a transfer between games during the tournament - again possible, but again I would say unlikely.

So if Dana is to leave anyway and Nacho away at AFCON will we go for another striker in the window or try and survive the games with Canon and Vardy? Hmm.

Only sign a player that we'd sign if we go up. Thats the rule really as we know we will get better in the summer. Otherwise focus on getting the players out who dont want to be here. 

Hopefully we are still looking sure things and theres no risk of players being poached. 

How do we tackle this?

Do we sell the ones that still need to go?

Do we not touch anything?

Do we sign players for the potential Premier League season next year?

Do we sign players for the final push this year? 

I feel it could be a good window to get people on the cheap under the radar for next year. I think we'll have a shortlist of people that we could get a bit cheaper maybe rather then waiting to next season. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

As we currently stand (injuries etc), I don't think we need anyone.

Ward, Iversen and Daka to leave, maybe Casadei too if Chelsea decide they'd rather have him somewhere where he's first choice. 

I've been a bit underwhelmed with Cascade's cameo's so far to be honest - there's a player in there for sure but maybe still settling in to a new style of play and appears a tad sloppy / less assured in passing during slower possession based build up play but okay going forward at pace?

25 minutes ago, Nick said:

I've been a bit underwhelmed with Cascade's cameo's so far to be honest - there's a player in there for sure but maybe still settling in to a new style of play and appears a tad sloppy / less assured in passing during slower possession based build up play but okay going forward at pace?

Same! Was really keen on getting him, convinced that pairing him with KDH as 8s would be a cheat code in this league.

He's looked poor on the ball and not fully switched on. Still convinced he can and most probably will come good though 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sylofox said:

I hope Rudkins started on all the deals now. Not a fvcking chance he completes a deal in 31 days let alone for or five. With ins and outs.

Bit unfair after this summers transfer dealings isn't it? He (or whoever does that job) managed 9 in 4 out a new manager and about 5 coaches. 

Edited by The whole world smiles

34 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Bit unfair after this summers transfer dealings isn't it? He (or whoever does that job) managed 9 in 4 out a new manager and about 5 coaches. 

I'm not going to slaughter him for that specifically but the fact that's considered noteworthy. That should be absolutely your capability in that position.

For what it's worth our recruitment in the summer looks really good.