Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Air fryers

19 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Is it trial and error on how long meat takes to do?

Any amazing recipes to make using one?

We've got a 4L Tower air-fryer and I'd say it is a bit of trial and error. 

We've only had it recently so not experimented too much, but we've made some delicious fish and chicken recipes. Only takes about 15-20 minutes with a nice marinate on it, about 180 degrees. 

Cajun chips are tasty too. Feels much healthier without all the oil. 

20 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Forgive my ignorance but are these things just for convenience type foods? 

The term air fryer is a bit misleading. It is a small (and therefore, more efficient - in theory) oven. Ideal for lots of meals.

I've done roasted veg, salmon, steak, chicken spag bol etc in mine.

Very quick for nuggets, fish fingers, chips etc for the kids 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balders65 said:

Arguments galore in our house with these, wife just loves having the oven on whilst I’m always saying “use the air fryer” I think she is genuinely reluctant to walk away from a traditional oven… 🤦‍♂️

I still do stuff on the hob too - once I realised I missed the therapeautic action of stirring a curry/spag bol etc (even though I can do these in the AF)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Barely use our oven over the past year. Everything done in the air fryer. A lot cheaper than using the oven too.

Only time the oven goes on these days is for a large roast, or a pizza. Outside of that it's air fryer all the way. Must have paid for itself 5 times over. 

16 hours ago, Claridge said:

Is it trial and error on how long meat takes to do?

Any amazing recipes to make using one?

I generally shorten the time and lower the temperature. Let's say you have a breaded fish that says do it in the over on 200 for 20 minutes. I'd do it for about 17 minutes at 180. If you followed general guides on packets and recipes for conventional ovens, it will just end up dry. 

• Like 1

Whole family likes this simple recipe.

Cajun Seasoned Butterfly chicken Breast (preferably seasoned the night before or at the latest the morning)

Red Pesto spread on Chicken with slices of Chorizo and Mozzarella and then fold the chicken.

Preheat Air Fryer for 5 mins (I have 2 draw air fryer), line the drawers with Foil and place 2 Chicken Breast in each Draw. 180 degrees for approx 17 mins.

Always comes out tender and juicy.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

• Like 3

On 31/10/2023 at 19:57, jgtuk said:

Forgive my ignorance but are these things just for convenience type foods? 

On 31/10/2023 at 20:02, Unabomber said:

No anything you can cook in an oven you can do in an air fryer. 

As long as it fits.

Imagine the air fryer is about a quarter of the size of an oven. You're not getting your Christmas turkey in that!

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We tried baking bread. Fail unless you like your bread the size of a malt loaf.

We followed the recipe for cheesecake. Fail. Just one hardened lump of stodge.

We did try cooking a small chicken, but it had to be placed in an almost vertical position and it didn't brown off. (Unlike me. Who was very...)

Cooking veg is very hit and miss. 

The problem is for me, it's a great bit of additional kit for the kitchen, cooks things quickly and saves energy and can save using the oven, but it will never replace a conventional oven IMO.