Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

The Occasional 2023-24 Math Thread

2 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

Leicester's match week 31 is complete.

Current points rate is 2.42/match.  1.20 points/match required for the rest of the season (18 points from 15 matches).

We have a 12-point gap over third place (Leeds).

We have 80.6% of the required points for automatic promotion after 67.4% of the season.

You can see Leeds winning 11 of their last 15 so I think 96 is probably more realistically what we’ll need. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

We are still a point behind that mighty Reading team from 05/06.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/spieltagtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2005&spieltag=32

By game week 34 they had 83 points we get 2 wins from our next two games we are well on course to be beat their record imo.

4 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Wow. And yet we're still further ahead of 2nd then they were then. The gap to 3rd, mine was significantly greater for them!

They dropped off after GW 33

From their last 13 games they got 24 out of a  possible 39 points

6 wins

6 draws

1 Loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/02/2024 at 18:31, Lionator said:

You can see Leeds winning 11 of their last 15 so I think 96 is probably more realistically what we’ll need. 

In the present position,we still have to presume all 3 can win every game except

the ones we play against each other..

If one is a neutral,Leeds are that pleasant hard  irritant so I tip until otherwise 13 wins

and Southampton can do the same.

Ipswich the neutrals underdog will be willed by millions to break records.

If one is a fan of any of we four,if Leicester can break records,then why can’t we..!! ?
until the games of dropped points become a reality assume all permutations possible.

I would like to be pushed all the way,that gives Enzo the chance to use,develope and test

his squad and himself until the end of the season…

So far every single squad/Academy player has stood up through 32 games,( not finished yet)

that must also be also some sort of record..

• Like 1

Theoretically, we could seal automatic promotion at home to Southampton in the middle of March - which is bloody insane that it’s even a possibility.

It is however, highly unlikely.

If we were to win our next 6, that would leave us on 96 points, if two of Ipswich, Southampton or Leeds were to lose 4 games (1 against us for Saints and Leeds) we are up! 
As I say highly unlikely, but we are really getting to the business end of the season now.

I think a total of 95 will get automatic promotion. I would guess Southampton, Leeds and Ipswich will all reach 90 or low 90s and we’ll get low 100s. the gap down to fifth could be over 20 points. 

Don’t forget 3 out of the top 4 are still in the FA Cup and I wonder whether that will have some effect. For that reason I think Ipswich may still be favourites for second. 

I Think the worst we will get is 110 points and become the highest EFL points scorers of all time. 

We've dropped 18 points so far. 19% of our available points with over 2/3rds of the season gone. We will hit 110 even if we drop another 10 points (which would be 23% of the remaining points available in the last 3rd of the season). That would constitute a really low key end to the season, winning only 8 of our last 14 games, drawing say 4, and losing our 2 games against our biggest rival, 

I think it's more likely we will drop 7 points and end up on 113 points at the end of the season. There is no reason in our current form that we shouldn't win any/all of Boro, QPR, Sunderland, Hull, Norwich, Bristol City, Birmingham, Millwall, Plymouth, Preston, West Brom, and Blackburn with the bold games being the ones at home. Obviously Leeds and Saints could go either way based on their quality and what's at stake. I'd be surprised if we lost both though. 

I think it will rightly be up there with Leicester's greatest achievements ever to take the massive kick in teeth of falling from Champions League flirtation and FA Cup / Charity Shield wins, to relegation, losing our biggest and best players and then compiling the greatest football league season ever seen as a response.

Edited by FosseSpark

26 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

I Think the worst we will get is 110 points and become the highest EFL points scorers of all time. 

We've dropped 18 points, with 70% of the season gone, so 19% of points have been dropping. We will hit 110 even if we drop another 10 points (which would be 23% of the remaining points available). That would really low key end to the season winning only 8 of our last 14 games, drawing 4 losing 2, 

I think it's more likely we will drop 7 points and end up on 113 points at the end of the season. There is no reason in our current form that we shouldn't win any/all of Boro, QPR, Sunderland, Hull, Norwich, Bristol City, Birmingham, Millwall, Plymouth, Preston, West Brom, and Blackburn with the bold games being at home. Obviously Leeds and Saints could go either way based on their quality and what's at stake. I'd be surprised if we lost both though. 

I think it will rightly be up there with Leicester's greatest achievements ever to take the massive kick in teeth of falling from Champions League flirtation and FA Cup / Charity Shield wins, to relegation, losing our biggest and best players and then compiling the greatest football league season ever seen as a response.

You kinda covered it with your final sentence, but if we get the record, it won't just be the highest ever points total at this level, it'd be the highest ever points total for any team ever in English Football history (but it's kind of a weird stat, since the PL for instance play 8 fewer matches) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

You kinda covered it with your final sentence, but if we get the record, it won't just be the highest ever points total at this level, it'd be the highest ever points total for any team ever in English Football history (but it's kind of a weird stat, since the PL for instance play 8 fewer matches) 

Yeah, it's sort of overclaiming to say in english football history, because there's literally only 114 points up for grabs in the Prem so they are never going to get 110. But it would still be a fact.

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

it'd be the highest ever points total for any team ever in English Football history (but it's kind of a weird stat, since the PL for instance play 8 fewer matches)

It wouldn't be as meaningful as it sounds! Premier League only play 38 matches, top two divisions used to only play 42, and it would disregard any 2 points for a win season when for all I know someone performed just as well. Man City's 100 points in 38 games would take some beating as the best season ever, I imagine.

But still, records are records - let's hope we do it!

2 hours ago, BertFill said:

It wouldn't be as meaningful as it sounds! Premier League only play 38 matches, top two divisions used to only play 42, and it would disregard any 2 points for a win season when for all I know someone performed just as well. Man City's 100 points in 38 games would take some beating as the best season ever, I imagine.

But still, records are records - let's hope we do it!

To equal that man city record over 46 games requires 121 points - so we're not going to hit that mark.

4 hours ago, Dawko said:

It's not bloody math, it's math's in this country.

We are not Yanks.

Apologies mate, I started the thread and I am a Yank.

I thought about using the word 'maths', but I wasn't sure it was correct usage.  I also thought I would come across as a pretentious **** if I used the term wrong.

On 15/02/2024 at 07:26, Aus Fox said:

Theoretically, we could seal automatic promotion at home to Southampton in the middle of March - which is bloody insane that it’s even a possibility.

It is however, highly unlikely.

If we were to win our next 6, that would leave us on 96 points, if two of Ipswich, Southampton or Leeds were to lose 4 games (1 against us for Saints and Leeds) we are up! 
As I say highly unlikely, but we are really getting to the business end of the season now.

Exciting innit…

From last game and these next 6 games,is the start of return fixtures

Where we saw our longest of poor form fixtures,

even though sneaking a couple of results.

Then Southampton who we beat 1-4..

S.Wednesday we reclaimed 3 pts,can we do the same in the next 2.

M’borough & Leeds…We can carry one defeat (Leeds).our buffer allows that,

then even with Southampton down the line,there are no demons down to 

EOS run-in, except to be answered,team discipline and Mental strength..

The skill-set we have…

WBA 0 - 2 Southampton,  last  night, hoped WBA would have at least drawn.

So all 4 top teams are capable of winning all their games,who will be the ones

to blink first..

can you nobble the others,and find me some points

in Fa,cup predictions:whistle:

20 hours ago, Dawko said:

It's not bloody math, it's math's in this country.

We are not Yanks.

We are now an international fan forum..

so some will be so use to typing..there own style of English.,according to their English language Education.. and what’s an s between friends…

When working in America according to correspondent opposite, I always

kept to “English” old school spelling,but in todays world,one has to accept

the varying correspondence from world wide colleagues…

Why some of our commonwealth colleagues,might do a sponsorship in America,or under American education and some will slip after hardy exams into

American,spelling,and pronunciation,even if his normal schooling was originally in English. 

Though despite the various nations colonies, those now independent nations,will

mostly speak 3-4 languages,where most of the British natives still only speak

the one language,even the Americans have taken over the Brits in Europe for picking up 2-3 languages..

Also note more than some languages since WWII, English experts ( doctors) have “documented”, that English grammar,comprehension,word choice,with modern accepted street conversation has seen natural changes ( documented), every 5 years..

So some stiff old fashioned attitudes should open up more…or you get left behind,

by not following the actual strength of English

has always been its flexability.and versatility..

just like Leicester city fans have had to,with the Enzo system…

PS.  I  still do curse sometime,when I see the s in maths, missing

or no “our” where it should be like colour,honour,etc.

The French in the last fourty years have tried to keep their Language,but they are failing because it was never  spoken,has they wanted it written..

through most Provences a lot of new technic saw to that,though like the Germans they keep trying..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

We are now an international fan forum..

so some will be so use to typing..there own style of English.,according to their English language Education.. and what’s an s between friends…

When working in America according to correspondent opposite, I always

kept to “English” old school spelling,but in todays world,one has to accept

the varying correspondence from world wide colleagues…

Why some of our commonwealth colleagues,might do a sponsorship in America,or under American education and some will slip after hardy exams into

American,spelling,and pronunciation,even if his normal schooling was originally in English. 

Though despite the various nations colonies, those now independent nations,will

mostly speak 3-4 languages,where most of the British natives still only speak

the one language,even the Americans have taken over the Brits in Europe for picking up 2-3 languages..

Also note more than some languages since WWII, English experts ( doctors) have “documented”, that English grammar,comprehension,word choice,with modern accepted street conversation has seen natural changes ( documented), every 5 years..

So some stiff old fashioned attitudes should open up more…or you get left behind,

by not following the actual strength of English

has always been its flexability.and versatility..

just like Leicester city fans have had to,with the Enzo system…

PS.  I  still do curse sometime,when I see the s in maths, missing

or no “our” where it should be like colour,honour,etc.

The French in the last fourth years have tried to keep their Language,but they are failing because it was never  spoken,has they wanted it written..

through most Provences a lot of new technic saw to that,though like the Germans they keep trying..

B+, good content but formatting is all over the place, spaces after commas please, and a lot of errant capital letters.