Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

The Occasional 2023-24 Math Thread

12 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Leeds aren’t at all, Ipswich have two big players away - Luongo with Australia and Morsy with Egypt - those two make their midfield tick over. 

Our recruitment will therefore be vital this coming window.  Wilf and Abdul will be huge losses.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

And yet George Elek's tongue was firmly up their arse 

Could this be because they couldn't quite believe that someone of Vincent Kompany's stature in the game was managing in their division, someone who's been touted as a top manager since retiring as a player at the very top of the game?

Also, the fact that he turned Burnley from Sean Dyche's Brexitball merchants to swashbuckling, libertine, tiki taka conquerors of the second tier?

With us it's a bit different. Maresca wasn't an elite player, not many had heard of him, he failed at his previous job in management and nobody in the media was following him with interest.

Also, it would have been regarded that we were too good to go down, too big and too successful in very recent memory, with too many PL quality players for a swift return to the Prem to be a romantic story, despite the change in playing style.

Could it be that these weird opinions from some pundits are based on feeling and context rather than the cold, hard facts?

• Like 4

You really have to hand it to Ipswich as a newly promoted team. Obviously we're having a monster season so far, but the fact that they've kept pace and continue to keep pace - absolutely astonishing. I wonder if there's ever been a newly promoted team that's had a better start to life in a new league than them? Would be very happy if we both went up automatically at the expense of the likes of Leeds.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Could this be because they couldn't quite believe that someone of Vincent Kompany's stature in the game was managing in their division, someone who's been touted as a top manager since retiring as a player at the very top of the game?

Also, the fact that he turned Burnley from Sean Dyche's Brexitball merchants to swashbuckling, libertine, tiki taka conquerors of the second tier?

With us it's a bit different. Maresca wasn't an elite player, not many had heard of him, he failed at his previous job in management and nobody in the media was following him with interest.

Also, it would have been regarded that we were too good to go down, too big and too successful in very recent memory, with too many PL quality players for a swift return to the Prem to be a romantic story, despite the change in playing style.

Could it be that these weird opinions from some pundits are based on feeling and context rather than the cold, hard facts?

This is all very nice and flowery but it's probably giving too much credit to Elek. 

Running any online content platform is about engagement and one of the best ways to get engagement is ragebait, which works especially well with a fanbase like ours that's big enough to trigger reactions from but not big enough to miss if we turn off (hence why Sky and BT only ever pander to Liverpool and United fans.) 

Saying controversial things about Leicester just drives their revenue. Same reason TalkSport were absolutely full of it last year. 

Do think there's also just a part of them that resents when clubs like Leicester come down and make the league look easy because it defies the narrative that the Championship is this amazingly difficult, competitive, perfect league that's somehow magical and the peak of entertainment and peddling that idea is a big part of their shtick. 

They desperately want to make out we're struggling or finding it harder than we are because they want to keep up the notion that the Championship is turbulent and dramatic. Where as actually we're waltzing through it in 3rd gear at the moment winning a fair few of our games in autopilot and still absolutely trouncing Burnley's (who did struggle a bit at first) track record.

• Like 3

Average play off spot for the past 5 season is 73 points. 

So if we win 7 of our last 25 games, that'll probably guarantee 6th place. To put it another way, if we draw every single game until the end of the season, or win 1 and lose 2 of every 3 games, we would reach the play offs.

9 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

I hate to be an old stick-in-the-mud.

But it's ****ing 'Maths', not 'Math'....

How much Netflix are we watching that no one has immediately pointed this out.

I actually thought about which word to use quite a bit.

I didn't use 'Maths' because I wasn't sure it was appropriate in context.  I also figured I would look like a pretentious **** if I used the word incorrectly.

And now I am stuck with the thread title.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Just looking into it further, I think there's a chance we may have an outlier season.

So Burnley had the same number of points as Leeds do after 21 games, before kicking on and taking 60 points in their remaining 25 matches, including a 10-game winning run, to finish on 101 points.

Are Leeds likely to replicate that? No. But do they have the means to do so? Absolutely.

Ipswich are certainly capable of amassing over 100 points, you could be looking at 96-98 being required for automatics this year. Unlikely but it'd be so Leicester to finish 3rd on 95 points.

Just like it was so Leicester to be relegated from the Championship on a record high of 52 points in 2008. Sorry to bring up the bad memories, but like @wardyfox86 said, weird things happen when Leicester is involved.

16 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Just looking into it further, I think there's a chance we may have an outlier season.

So Burnley had the same number of points as Leeds do after 21 games, before kicking on and taking 60 points in their remaining 25 matches, including a 10-game winning run, to finish on 101 points.

Are Leeds likely to replicate that? No. But do they have the means to do so? Absolutely.

Ipswich are certainly capable of amassing over 100 points, you could be looking at 96-98 being required for automatics this year. Unlikely but it'd be so Leicester to finish 3rd on 95 points.

I was thinking something similar to this. I was thinking that so many people have been saying Ipswich can't keep this up, and they have!

Reminds me of our 2015-16 season. It would be ironic if we did a Spurs.

40 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was thinking something similar to this. I was thinking that so many people have been saying Ipswich can't keep this up, and they have!

Reminds me of our 2015-16 season. It would be ironic if we did a Spurs.

They've got the quality and the momentum. No reason they can't stay the course if injuries are kind to them. As always with these things, the winter schedule will be a big test for all teams in the division and their respective ambitions.

7 hours ago, indierich06 said:

You really have to hand it to Ipswich as a newly promoted team. Obviously we're having a monster season so far, but the fact that they've kept pace and continue to keep pace - absolutely astonishing. I wonder if there's ever been a newly promoted team that's had a better start to life in a new league than them? Would be very happy if we both went up automatically at the expense of the likes of Leeds.

Happy for us to both go up at Leeds' expense but Ipswich are really annoying at the minute. Need them to drop off and soon.