Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

The "Oh **** it's Christmas next week" thread

I break up today for Christmas and don't go back till the 8th Jan! Really looking forward to a nice relaxed extended break from work. 

kids are at an age now where they "just want money" for Christmas and Me and My Wife have decided our present to each other for Christmas is to book a week in Seville in March.... so I haven't had to overly think about that much. 

Just taken Delivery of the Away shirt though for my 14 year old, as he normally gets the new Kit at the glamour friendly in pre-season, which obviously didn't happen this year! 

I'm hosting Christmas day though.... so it'll be a 05:00 trip to the supermarket on Saturday to get everything bought and a trip to the Butchres Thursday. - I've gone controversial this year and I'm cooking a Forerib of beef for Christmas lunch as 3 of the people coming can't stand Turkey. 

• Like 3

We have gone the opposite of what everyone else seems to do this year. 

We are buying each other 1 gift each and only our parents and siblings something. 

Not going crazy like people think they need to and not buying all of the utterly ridiculous food they bang out these days. Keeping Xmas dinner nice and traditional for once. 

It's exhausting if you buy into all of the bullocks that's pushed on you these days. 

Not started food shopping yet though 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

We have gone the opposite of what everyone else seems to do this year. 

We are buying each other 1 gift each and only our parents and siblings something. 

Not going crazy like people think they need to and not buying all of the utterly ridiculous food they bang out these days. Keeping Xmas dinner nice and traditional for once. 

It's exhausting if you buy into all of the bullocks that's pushed on you these days. 

Not started food shopping yet though 

For the last five years or so my family has done a secret santa with approx £50 budget. We all still get our spouses stuff obviously and my 8 yr old niece, but it reduces the amount of stuff we have to think of and money spent, while we all still get something to open. 

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

All organised, everything sorted. Just need to finish work Friday now.

When I was a kid each Christmas I would get a Beatles album. I always knew what it would be, because I had requested it. As I recall, the most excited I got was for Revolver when I was eleven. I was allowed to play it that morning before visitors arrived and it spirited me away somewhere so special, I'm not sure I ever returned. 

• Like 2

I’ve convinced the whole family to cop out on the all-day in the kitchen tradition for Christmas dinner, with absolutely no regrets.

The culinary school that is our home away from home is owned and run by a native of Bologna.  She's about the best person we know, and her lasagna Bolognese is heaven on earth.  This year they are selling hotel pans of it for carryout on Christmas Eve.

Three pans ordered  :)  You saved some turkey’s life, Loretta  :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

What’s everyone’s fave festive cheeses? 

I love some of the Drunken Cheese selections from Borough Market. Their Barolo Comte is epic. 

Got a mixed platter from them last Christmas that I just didn’t want to share. Highly recommend. 

I’d like to try black Brie and (possibly) the maggoty Sardinian cheese…but not sure how that would fit in with my happy clappy veggie sensitivities. 

Food shopping done today, everything successfully bought. Apart from chantenay carrots. I'll go on the hunt for some tomorrow.

Praying for @FoxesDeb in her hunt for a red cabbage. The struggle is real lol

I've got 10 cheeses for my cheeseboard. Possibly been a bit over the top, but ah well, it's Christmas. 

I'm particularly looking forward to the Port Salut (I could live off it) and the Long Clawson Stilton.

Trying a Gordon Ramsey recipe for the turkey this year, done in a garlic, parsley and lemon butter.

I normally do it in cider, but think it's time for something new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Food shopping done today, everything successfully bought. Apart from chantenay carrots. I'll go on the hunt for some tomorrow.

I've got 10 cheeses for my cheeseboard. Possibly been a bit over the top, but ah well, it's Christmas. 

I'm particularly looking forward to the Port Salut (I could live off it) and the Long Clawson Stilton.

Trying a Gordon Ramsey recipe for the turkey this year, done in a garlic, parsley and lemon butter.

This gives you the right to tell everyone to fook off and get out of the kitchen on xmas day. You need to look and act the part 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What cheeses you got? One thing I always make is a chilli jam. Goes so ****ing well with a cheeseboard 

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What cheeses you got? One thing I always make is a chilli jam. Goes so ****ing well with a cheeseboard 

Well, I've got some chilli jam, tomato and habenero chutney, apple and pear chutney, caramelised onion chutney.

Cheeses are nothing special, just from Sainsbury's. I should have put more thought in to it.

Stilton, Port Salut, Brie, a roule, goats cheese, red leicester, wensleydale with cranberry, that soft cheese with pineapple and almond...and I genuinely can't remember the others now!

Got some Parma ham and salami to serve with it.

As well as grapes, apples and obviously a selection of crackers.

Said it before, I'll say it again, this is the real main event of Xmas day. You can keep your turkey lol

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Just got back from Tesco and Morrisons in search of chantenay carrots.

Nothing.

Tesco was mental, at 11.15.

I might have bought more cheese in Mozzas though :ph34r:

A white Stilton and a Shropshire blue.

Get regular carrots like the rest of us

I'm sure I think this every year, but it REALLY doesn't feel like Xmas this year.

Can't quite put my finger on it. The turkey is in the fridge, the presents are wrapped...

Maybe the milder weather? Or the wind?

I don't know, just feeling very unfestive.

Its probably because I can't get the right carrots!

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm sure I think this every year, but it REALLY doesn't feel like Xmas this year.

Can't quite put my finger on it. The turkey is in the fridge, the presents are wrapped...

Maybe the milder weather? Or the wind?

I don't know, just feeling very unfestive.

Its probably because I can't get the right carrots!

My wife and I have been saying this for the last week. Just said it 2 hours ago.

It's the first year our kids know santa is fake but i don't even think that's it. The weather is weird over here. Usually cold but on xmas day its going to be 9 celsius.  That's just feckin odd for this time of year. No bloody snow in the forecast either until at least january some time.

• Like 1