Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

The "Oh **** it's Christmas next week" thread

Anyone else extremely unorganised and still needs to buy lots of presents?

Please could you share with us all what you've bought your loved ones this year for some (much needed!) inspiration?

Got plenty to buy and cannot for the life of me think what to get.

Quite a bit of stuff still to get but mainly small bits. Main pressie for the other half is sorted though, and that's always the most difficult (slash expensive) 

Going to the folks' for Xmas day and boxing day so they're sorting all the scran out which is awesome. 

Presents all sorted, being wrapped by one of the kids as we speak.

I just need to do the food shopping.

I'll go to Sainsbury's on Friday or Saturday to get it all.

I'm old school, none of this delivery malarkey.

I'm fully prepared to fight with Sandra for the last pork pie in the chiller.

I've been in training since early August for that exact situation. 

Edited by tom27111

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Presents all sorted, being wrapped by one of the kids as we speak.

I just need to do the food shopping.

I'll go to Sainsbury's on Friday or Saturday to get it all.

I'm old school, none of this delivery malarkey.

I'm fully prepared to fight with Sandra for the last pork pie in the chiller.

I've been in training since early August for that exact situation. 

Masochist!

• Like 1

All my present shopping is done, and I haven't set foot inside an actual shop, just how I like it. 

Food shopping here won't get done until the end of the week, the Spanish have their main celebration in January so thankfully it will be like doing a normal food shop really, turkeys don't reach the supermarkets until Thursday at the earliest. I am fully expecting to spend most of the weekend trawling southern Spain for red cabbage and sausagemeat, everything else is easy to get.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

All my present shopping is done, and I haven't set foot inside an actual shop, just how I like it. 

Food shopping here won't get done until the end of the week, the Spanish have their main celebration in January so thankfully it will be like doing a normal food shop really, turkeys don't reach the supermarkets until Thursday at the earliest. I am fully expecting to spend most of the weekend trawling southern Spain for red lights and sausage, everything else is easy to get.

:o

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Food shopping here won't get done until the end of the week, the Spanish have their main celebration in January so thankfully it will be like doing a normal food shop really, turkeys don't reach the supermarkets until Thursday at the earliest. I am fully expecting to spend most of the weekend trawling southern Spain for red cabbage and sausagemeat, everything else is easy to get.

I can just picture you, getting slightly irate, shouting "No, Rojo!!!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I can just picture you, getting slightly irate, shouting "No, Rojo!!!"

After the debacle last year, it won't surprise you to hear that my husband very nonchalantly announced a couple of days ago that he saw some red cabbages the other day 'somewhere', but didn't buy one. Fvck knows why, I could have strangled him lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

I’ve long been of the opinion that Xmas has become an insane waste of money. It’s become the holiday equivalent of ‘thoughts and prayers’ - goodwill to all…as long as no effort has to be made outside of watching Home Alone. 

We are gifting to charities instead of presents. I’m volunteering, so we’ll just have a family meal and drinks in the evening. No huge credit card bill, no mountains of plastic crap and packaging to take to a refuse centre. Really looking forward to it for once. 

miserable sod lol

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

miserable sod lol

He's not wrong though. An insane amount of money gets spent by people that often can't afford it on absolute crap, just for the sake of it. And you see people buying ridiculous amounts of food, it's one meal. Yes, have a few extra treats but masses must go to waste and that's ridiculous. 

Had both of our watches not broke last month, we wouldn't have presents either. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

miserable sod lol

The expectation on families to deliver some kind of Hollywood Xmas to their families is ridiculous. People go into debt just for one day of consumerist bollocks. 

I’m not miserable. I’ll be delivering a snatch of joy for people who’d not otherwise getting it and having a lovely evening with my kids. If that makes me a miserable sod, bring it the **** on. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

I’ve long been of the opinion that Xmas has become an insane waste of money. It’s become the holiday equivalent of ‘thoughts and prayers’ - goodwill to all…as long as no effort has to be made outside of watching Home Alone. 

We are gifting to charities instead of presents. I’m volunteering, so we’ll just have a family meal and drinks in the evening. No huge credit card bill, no mountains of plastic crap and packaging to take to a refuse centre. Really looking forward to it for once. 

And Elf, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, 3x Santa Clause movies, Arthur Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street.  Its take commitment.

We have a savings account for bithdays and christmas so we spread the cost out over 12 months.  It actually works really well as food and beverages in late December and early January is covered as part of the savings.  No sky high amounts of money to find and we have the amount of money we spend on everybody covered.

Only have the veggies, yorkshires and deserts to get.  Will be up at 7am on Saturday to finish the shopping.

Edited by Basildon Fox

With Daggers on this one, its turned into a load of commercialized  old bo11ox and most people dont give a flying feck about what it's supposed to be about.

I let my Mrs deal.with it all and she can tell me where we are going to get mostly bored, over eat or just argue with someone!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Quite a bit of stuff still to get but mainly small bits. Main pressie for the other half is sorted though, and that's always the most difficult (slash expensive) 

Going to the folks' for Xmas day and boxing day so they're sorting all the scran out which is awesome. 

https://x.com/soverybritish/status/1736786002885153149?s=46&t=FrTLum9IRk5RFyMpPnxd_g

• Haha 2