Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

4 hours ago, FIF said:

I'm on my 8th consecutive Jo Nesbo book. The first seven were all Harry Hole stories and all but one was very good, this one is a stand alone that has started well.

I've been looking for a new author and I know we like the same kind of thing. I'll give him a try.

4 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Never thought I'd like it but was recommended to me and glad I read it. I've seen the film of the kite runner - don't know whether it gives the book justice or not. 

The film wasn't bad but it didn't have anything like the depth of the book, I would strongly recommend the book as it probably one of the best I've read in recent years.

• Like 1

Finally got round to reading Sapiens and then Homo Deus the last few weeks. Both truly fascinating but felt something was lacking to make them greats.

Got a stack of stuff lined up atm, ordered 7 books the other day from Amazon, getting through them isn't going to be quick. 

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Finally got round to reading Sapiens and then Homo Deus the last few weeks. Both truly fascinating but felt something was lacking to make them greats.

Got a stack of stuff lined up atm, ordered 7 books the other day from Amazon, getting through them isn't going to be quick. 

Not while you keep taking young ladies out on dates!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MattP
On 23/03/2018 at 15:56, Kopfkino said:

Felt exactly the same, it hasn't turned me into a luddite either which I feared.

I've never read any Twain so I'm starting this week with Tom Sawyer before moving onto Huckleberry Finn - great start and some wonderful imagery already in my head of 19th century America.

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Felt exactly the same, it hasn't turned me into a luddite either which I feared.

I've never read any Twain so I'm starting this week with Tom Sawyer before moving onto Huckleberry Finn - great start and some wonderful imagery already in my head of 19th century America.

I think I'd have started with Huckleberry Finn, it felt like a younger read to me - but that was decades ago. Think I had to read it for my English Lit O level.

I've taken the recomendation of someone on here and I'm reading the first couple of Peter James detective series. So far I'm thinking they're okay but not quite at the level of detective stories I've been reading for the last few years so I'm not sure whether I'll continue after the second. Do his books get better or stay the same?

On 23/03/2018 at 23:56, Kopfkino said:

How was Sapiens... its next on my list?

Just finishing this....

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think I'd have started with Huckleberry Finn, it felt like a younger read to me - but that was decades ago. Think I had to read it for my English Lit O level.

My memory of them is the opposite - but I read Tom Sawyer when I was still at school and didn't read Huckleberry Finn until well into adulthood.

The latter seemed more complex and adult to me, though I enjoyed both.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

My memory of them is the opposite - but I read Tom Sawyer when I was still at school and didn't read Huckleberry Finn until well into adulthood.

Of course you're right. Finn was the sequel to Tom. Perhaps it's just the heat confusing my memory.

53 minutes ago, FIF said:

Of course you're right. Finn was the sequel to Tom. Perhaps it's just the heat confusing my memory.

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are both kids books imo but still worth the read.

On 3/25/2018 at 00:12, Milo said:

Great read so far - Fvcking unbelievable era, when you look back on it... 

running-with-the-firm.thumb.jpg.18e9146012c4a6a44902b5a54ef25ecc.jpg

It was a really great read especially that I was living in Catford at the time.  It was even converted into a low budget film but it was so-so. 

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

How was Sapiens... its next on my list?

Just finishing this....

It's great, I can see why it's been a massive hit. Genuinely interesting and insightful. Wasn't a quick read for me, a lot of information packed in and found myself googling lots of stuff for more.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
On 19/04/2018 at 15:47, Alf Bentley said:

Can relate to this, enjoyed both greatly.

Certainly right to do Sawyer first as Huck makes his first appearance in that, was also nice to find out why The Adventures of Tom Sawyer features in Its a Wonderful Life so heavily - has to be to do with him seeing his own funeral. 

• 3 months later...
52 minutes ago, Milo said:

Black Ajax. Great read, and amazing story. 

Language is is a bit tricky to start with, but well worth sticking with. 

603A6BB7-7BA4-4668-BD64-57F7C48133BC.jpeg

I've read all that authors Flashman books and they're a great read. I didn't know hed written anything else. I'll look out for that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...