Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

We have no money. The media darling Kahn's legacy is shilo.

Azad's a good find but losing Raine and Chappell last season has knackered us. Tom Taylor injured really hasn't helped.

We need to kick out 4 of the "seasoned" pro's and replace them with players in their mid 20's who have a point to prove.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

We have no money. The media darling Kahn's legacy is shilo.

Azad's a good find but losing Raine and Chappell last season has knackered us. Tom Taylor injured really hasn't helped.

We need to kick out 4 of the "seasoned" pro's and replace them with players in their mid 20's who have a point to prove.

Agree. Said pretty much the same last week. Not changed my mind. 

Horton, Dexter, Hill to start with

19 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Cosgrove too.

Had high hopes for the bowling attack but it hasn't happened.

Correct. 

Griffiths, Mike gone backwards. Klein 4 ball every over, Lilley never plays. 

Taylor injured. Davis done ok I think. Sticks to it and rarely bowls badly. 

Abbas class but not been the superhuman he was last year. 

Need a seamer and a spinner desperately and I think 3 bats. 

We're destined for this second division purgatory until we're kicked into the Minor Counties. I don't see the team getting promoted any time soon.

And to think some moaned back in the early 2000's that fifth place in Division One was "accepting mediocrity".

15 minutes ago, Corky said:

We're destined for this second division purgatory until we're kicked into the Minor Counties. I don't see the team getting promoted any time soon.

And to think some moaned back in the early 2000's that fifth place in Division One was "accepting mediocrity".

We just can’t seem to break out of the doldrums, the 2011 T20 winning side broke up really quickly and since then it’s been dire straights on the whole, I don’t know how long the ECB will tolerate us.

When Nixon took over I thought he would need three years to genuinely improve things, because he inherited a mess in terms of squad balance (too many unmotivated ageing pros on big wages; too many in their mid to late twenties without the skills for pro cricket). He has already got rid of 6 or 7 players last year, but a similar number in the current squad need to move on either this year or next. As others have suggested: Horton, Hill, Dexter, Ali, Javid, Cosgrove, Klein all need to leave and free up space and finances at the club. While Abbas is an incredible bowler, we are a club that perhaps needs an overseas player who can contribute in all formats (open the batting, open the bowling, take 30 catches!).

Hopefully the ECB won't be relegating any clubs to the minor counties soon as they are very smug with England's World Cup win and preoccupied with creating their beloved city franchises for The Hundred. We are also still producing players with England potential, as Zak Chappell was on the Lions tour over the winter and Harry Swindells has played for England under-19s

8 hours ago, Cake said:

Correct. 

Griffiths, Mike gone backwards. Klein 4 ball every over, Lilley never plays. 

Taylor injured. Davis done ok I think. Sticks to it and rarely bowls badly. 

Abbas class but not been the superhuman he was last year. 

Need a seamer and a spinner desperately and I think 3 bats. 

Former England spinner Simon Kerrigan on trial for Northants 2nds scored 81 and took 2/67 against us in the current match why aren't we looking at these players.?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaidstoneFox said:

When Nixon took over I thought he would need three years to genuinely improve things, because he inherited a mess in terms of squad balance (too many unmotivated ageing pros on big wages; too many in their mid to late twenties without the skills for pro cricket). He has already got rid of 6 or 7 players last year, but a similar number in the current squad need to move on either this year or next. As others have suggested: Horton, Hill, Dexter, Ali, Javid, Cosgrove, Klein all need to leave and free up space and finances at the club. While Abbas is an incredible bowler, we are a club that perhaps needs an overseas player who can contribute in all formats (open the batting, open the bowling, take 30 catches!).

Hopefully the ECB won't be relegating any clubs to the minor counties soon as they are very smug with England's World Cup win and preoccupied with creating their beloved city franchises for The Hundred. We are also still producing players with England potential, as Zak Chappell was on the Lions tour over the winter and Harry Swindells has played for England under-19s

If Northants could afford Jason Holder for a bit earlier this season, then surely we could too? Agree a genuine all-rounder would do wonders for us.

25 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

If Northants could afford Jason Holder for a bit earlier this season, then surely we could too? Agree a genuine all-rounder would do wonders for us.

Northants have turned things around big time made a massive profit last year can't remember the  figures off hand

27 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Northants have turned things around big time made a massive profit last year can't remember the  figures off hand

1 minute ago, everton carr said:

Just looked it up profit last year over £287k

I notice on our website 13 coaching staff are listed. I'm not suggesting any of them don't work hard, but that seems like a lot for the size we are. We do have to learn to live within our means, and the way in which contracts have been handed out on and off the field over the last 10 years has often been profligate. As others have said some high earners will come to the end of their contracts this year and next. We need some experience in our ranks (Ackermann fits the bill, as does Wright) but we should aim to become the destination for talented English youngsters not getting a look in elsewhere. A bit like the model down the road at the City. The Hassan Azad story shows young talent is out there if you look. Indeed he was at Loughborough, so not that far down the road. Hassan, by the way, is now the third highest run scorer in division 2. He's closing in on 2000 balls faced. Next in the list are Ackers and Horton on around 1100. His commitment is fantastic and sets the standard. Others, who are better paid and more experienced, could learn plenty from his example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

I notice on our website 13 coaching staff are listed. I'm not suggesting any of them don't work hard, but that seems like a lot for the size we are. We do have to learn to live within our means, and the way in which contracts have been handed out on and off the field over the last 10 years has often been profligate. As others have said some high earners will come to the end of their contracts this year and next. We need some experience in our ranks (Ackermann fits the bill, as does Wright) but we should aim to become the destination for talented English youngsters not getting a look in elsewhere. A bit like the model down the road at the City. The Hassan Azad story shows young talent is out there if you look. Indeed he was at Loughborough, so not that far down the road. Hassan, by the way, is now the third highest run scorer in division 2. He's closing in on 2000 balls faced. Next in the list are Ackers and Horton on around 1100. His commitment is fantastic and sets the standard. Others, who are better paid and more experienced, could learn plenty from his example.

Just read that Derby have got Darren Stevens for nothing for the T20 Kent will still be paying his salary why on earth we didn't sign him I've no idea sure he would have loved to play for the Foxes again

The commentator for Radio Gloucester is living up to his name "Hunt". Bob Hunt described WG Grace as not that good. Took nearly 3000 wickets at 18 and averaged 39 with the bat...

Edited by Cake

33 minutes ago, Cake said:

The commentator for Radio Gloucester is living up to his name "Hunt". Bob Hunt described WG Grace as not that good. Took nearly 3000 wickets at 18 and averaged 39 with the bat...

Also said earlier he had never heard of Ian Sutcliffe