Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

On 11/10/2018 at 23:25, Izzy Muzzett said:

So in further developments, the head coach has now decided to jack it in completely and leave me to run the U10’s on my own this season :o (not really what I signed up for!)

Apparently some of the parents rang the club owner/chairman and complained about him being over aggressive and upsetting the kids so he’s fvcked it off completely lol

I’m off to collect all the balls, bibs and his ‘coach’ jacket from him now before training later - could be a bit awkward :unsure:

Don’t forget to talk to the kids about intensity, I would probably stick the shit winger that never scores upfront on his own to the best team in the league as well.

• Haha 1

My day was good yesterday evening.

Went to see The Men They Couldn't Hang at The Scholar (Leicester Uni). Useless tossers managed to unintentionally lock everyone out for ages, but we'll overlook that.

TMTCH must now be the band I've seen second most often in my life, behind The Mekons but ahead of The Fall. Must be into double figures since 1985.

Excellent evening reminded me of two things:

- TMTCH are an exceptionally good live band. I'd almost forgotten.

- I'm not old yet. Felt truly reinvigorated after that.

Material from new album seemed good, too. Bought but not listened yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

My day was good yesterday evening.

Went to see The Men They Couldn't Hang at The Scholar (Leicester Uni). Useless tossers managed to unintentionally lock everyone out for ages, but we'll overlook that.

TMTCH must now be the band I've seen second most often in my life, behind The Mekons but ahead of The Fall. Must be into double figures since 1985.

Excellent evening reminded me of two things:

- TMTCH are an exceptionally good live band. I'd almost forgotten.

- I'm not old yet. Felt truly reinvigorated after that.

Material from new album seemed good, too. Bought but not listened yet.

The Man Who Couldn't Get In. :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

The Man Who Couldn't Get In. :D

I made that very same joke myself, Buce, while walking up and down a ramp in the dark through a building site (the uni, apparently) with about 20 others, looking for a non-existent gate.

Mind you, when I experienced the support band, I almost asked them to lock me out again. Good night once TMTCH came on, though. Shall play the CD shortly.

6 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

Bad day in Boyjones household. Having to hang up my boots at the age of 66, after 50 years of competitive adult football. 

Had set my heart on playing until I was 70, but my heart has given me a few nudges recently, saying don't take the piss. If I was Billy no mates I would carry on playing, but still got a missus of 46 years in tow, so owe her a bit of consideration. Really  despondent about it, but at least I got to play in the same team as my four lads for 20 years, so I count that as a blessing. 

Just hope that some of my seven grandsons turns out to be talented, so I can watch them develop.

Never played a really decent standard, had informal trials with a city scout in 1968, but he said although I had talent, I was as slow as shit and too skinny. Strangely enough, played my best football in my late 30's in the Lincolnshire Senior leagues - real hard school; our Sunday team had three conference players in it, (two Boston United, who had played at Wembley in The FA Trophy final and one from Blyth Spartans) I refused to play on Saturdays as would rather watch the city. I just love Leicester. 

That chapter of of my life has closed now, but had recently bought a new pair of boots for £75!!?? need to see if my lads can use them! 

Think city is more likely to give you a heart attack lol. 

Least you enjoyed it as long as you  could which is a blessing. On to the next adventure. Baking and old people sex i suppose lol

• Haha 1

Saw Michael Mcintyre last night at the O2 Arena. Top class as expected. 

Off to the NFL today at Wembley to see Seahawks vs Raiders. First time seeing NFL live so should be good fun. Sadly not at Spurs new stadium which we were all looking forward to but Wembley will do.... 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Off to the NFL today at Wembley to see Seahawks vs Raiders. First time seeing NFL live so should be good fun. Sadly not at Spurs new stadium which we were all looking forward to but Wembley will do.... 

I remember in the 80's that the Seahawks v Raiders was a big game. No idea how they're both doing now but I still class myself as a Raiders fan :D

Their '84 Superbowl win over the Redskins was the game that really got me into NFL back then. Joe Thiesmann, John Riggins, Marcus Allen, Howie Long etc, good times.

Enjoy the game Stan, hope the weather hold up for you :thumbup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I remember in the 80's that the Seahawks v Raiders was a big game. No idea how they're both doing now but I still class myself as a Raiders fan :D

Their '84 Superbowl win over the Redskins was the game that really got me into NFL back then. Joe Thiesmann, John Riggins, Marcus Allen, Howie Long etc, good times.

Remember some work trip out in the Eighties to Wembley to watch the Chicago Bears.

They had a bloke playing for them called the Fridge .. he was what is now known as a bit of a unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

weller54 would disapprove this statement..:whistle:

10 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Bad day in Boyjones household. Having to hang up my boots at the age of 66, after 50 years of competitive adult football. 

Had set my heart on playing until I was 70, but my heart has given me a few nudges recently, saying don't take the piss. If I was Billy no mates I would carry on playing, but still got a missus of 46 years in tow, so owe her a bit of consideration. Really  despondent about it, but at least I got to play in the same team as my four lads for 20 years, so I count that as a blessing. 

Just hope that some of my seven grandsons turns out to be talented, so I can watch them develop.

Never played a really decent standard, had informal trials with a city scout in 1968, but he said although I had talent, I was as slow as shit and too skinny. Strangely enough, played my best football in my late 30's in the Lincolnshire Senior leagues - real hard school; our Sunday team had three conference players in it, (two Boston United, who had played at Wembley in The FA Trophy final and one from Blyth Spartans) I refused to play on Saturdays as would rather watch the city. I just love Leicester. 

That chapter of of my life has closed now, but had recently bought a new pair of boots for £75!!?? need to see if my lads can use them! 

We're of a similar vintage.  I was never any good at football but played cricket in local leagues until I was 50 then packed up as my timing had gone and the balls that used to fly out of the middle of my bat flew to slip instead.  Cricket was in my blood and I hated giving it up but it wasn't fair to the team to struggle on and have them carry me.  The mistake I then made was not starting something else.  I was working and busy so I had plenty to occupy my time but I missed sport in my life.

When I was about to retire a colleague suggested that I try bowls.  I found that amusing at first but gave it a go and now wish that I'd tried it years ago.  My club is full of members who played rugby, football and cricket in their younger days.   We enjoy the competitive buzz that a match can bring (it's harder to play well than it looks) and I travel round the county playing other teams on both a friendly basis and in county competitions.  There's also a social side if you go to the right club.  Mine has a bar open three times a week and has regular social events such as quizzes, dances, bingo and visiting singers.  My wife loves it.

There's no harm in giving it a try.  Plus I expect that you'll continue to be involved in football through your family.  And someone with your experience could be a real asset to any local club to pass your knowledge on to the youngsters.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Sad day indeed @BoyJones 

Remember running to catch the tube so we can get our trains after West Ham a few years back.

Being at least 40 years your junior ?,I was blowing out of my arse.

We had both had a skin full mind you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Sad day indeed @BoyJones 

Remember running to catch the tube so we can get our trains after West Ham a few years back.

Being at least 40 years your junior ?,I was blowing out of my arse.

We had both had a skin full mind you.

Will be the same at Fulham in December ?

• Haha 1

EditI said I would share a few pics of the stuff I’ve been doing in Cambodia so here we go.

Before and after pics of the school site. Apparently it will still take another few months to finish.

We worked on it for 4 days in 30 odd degree heat, 85% humidity. Digging holes,  carrying buckets of sand, gravel, rocks and water backwards and forwards, mixing cement by hand, brick laying, dug out vegetable patches and god knows what else. On one of the days I drank 7 litres of water and went for 1 piss all day which shows how much I sweated and on the last full day I felt absolutely rotten. 

The school kids were brilliant and helped to move bricks, played football/volleyball and generally did a better job of any of it than us lot all with smiles on their faces. Two of them had city shirts on which really made me laugh!

I slept in a house on stilts with 3 of the others while the family whose house it was slept in the open. They had dogs, cows, turkeys, chickens and chicks and you heard every one of them from 4am onwards lol 

Edit, that’s only the before photo as the others are too big apparently. I will post a few more later.

F0869915-332F-4442-AF8E-3A066B917C01.png

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

EditI said I would share a few pics of the stuff I’ve been doing in Cambodia so here we go.

Before and after pics of the school site. Apparently it will still take another few months to finish.

We worked on it for 4 days in 30 odd degree heat, 85% humidity. Digging holes,  carrying buckets of sand, gravel, rocks and water backwards and forwards, mixing cement by hand, brick laying, dug out vegetable patches and god knows what else. On one of the days I drank 7 litres of water and went for 1 piss all day which shows how much I sweated and on the last full day I felt absolutely rotten. 

The school kids were brilliant and helped to move bricks, played football/volleyball and generally did a better job of any of it than us lot all with smiles on their faces. Two of them had city shirts on which really made me laugh!

I slept in a house on stilts with 3 of the others while the family whose house it was slept in the open. They had dogs, cows, turkeys, chickens and chicks and you heard every one of them from 4am onwards lol 

Edit, that’s only the before photo as the others are too big apparently. I will post a few more later.

Great work mate. Nice photo - you look different to how I imagined :D

Got a call from my mum yesterday saying one of the cats had been missing since Friday, she rang again later saying he’d came back but had been hit by a car as his jaw was broken and he’d lost an eye. Took him to an emergency vets but he was put down last night :cry:

• Sad 8

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Seen more progress at a smart motorway upgrade.

Pull your finger out Costock.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Seen more progress at a smart motorway upgrade.

Pull your finger out Costock.

If this place actually let me upload a picture I could add the other pictures!

I’m now in the capital, Phnom Pen. Crazy place, glad I’m leaving here for the jungle tomorrow afternoon.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

If this place actually let me upload a picture I could add the other pictures!

I’m now in the capital, Phnom Pen. Crazy place, glad I’m leaving here for the jungle tomorrow afternoon.

You know it’s bad when the jungle seems like a refuge.

Dont worry about uploading the pictures though mate, you’ll have plenty of time when your back in good old Blighty.

On 14/10/2018 at 10:53, Izzy Muzzett said:

Cheers mate. We got drenched but we had the drinks flowing from about 12pm so didn't really care lol.

Never really followed a specific team for the NFL but I've enjoyed watching games when I can on Sky. Was great to be there yesterday - Seahawks fans are brilliant. Great noise created which makes for a quality atmosphere. Raiders didn't really do much on and off the pitch. Fancy adopting Seahawks as a team I can get behind and follow.

• Like 1

Just got an email to confirm the headset I ordered off Game's website has shipped.  :yahoo:

Normally it wouldn't be all that exciting news but there's a bit of backstory here:  I was going through various sites comparing the available low-end sets (I was thinking a budget of at most £30, didn't want to break the bank over it) but for some reason even though I'd sorted the listings in ascending price order there was a name-brand set priced at £89.99 sitting near the top of Game's first page of headsets.  So I clicked on it thinking there must be some error and, sure enough, Game were only selling it for the price mentioned but there in the list of associated vendors is a set being offered for an absurdly low £11.83.  Now this was obviously a decimal error - some of the other 3rd party vendors were offering them for over £100 so I figured it was supposed to say £118.30 or something but I placed a cheeky order anyway expecting to get an email saying something like "sorry there's been a mistake and we can't sell you this product".  Nope.  It's been shipped. :D 

Then again I've had another look at the listing today expecting to see the price shifted upwards and that company aren't even offering the headset anymore so maybe it was their last in stock and they were just trying to flog it quick or something, who knows?  Now I just have to hope when it shows up it's not a completely defective set...