Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

80 bar on the spot fine today. Lovely stuff, week before pay day - that was 100% on the top of my list of things that I wanted to have to pay for today. Oh well, we live and learn :)

What was it for?

Just now, Milo said:

What was it for?

Just a small misdemeanour...

In my defence I didn’t think anybody could see me down this alley way, and I’ve shit in the street loads of times...

Parking fine mate. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Manini said:

Just a small misdemeanour...

In my defence I didn’t think anybody could see me down this alley way, and I’ve shit in the street loads of times...

Parking fine mate. 

:D

Worth appealing? 

Just now, Milo said:

:D

Worth appealing? 

I was blocking access to a private storage unit apparently, only left it for a minute or two to drop something off. Not worth the hassle, pay it and move on I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

Mate, if your current employer was struggling they'd drop you like a hot potato, and don't kid yourself they wouldn't.

Do what's right for you.

You're totally right. I do payroll for an external site, theyve owned it since last march, but its paid weekly rather than monthly like the rest of the business. I know I'd be gone if they decide to offload the site or if they decided to bring them all onto line and pay monthly. 

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

In all seriousness mate, I do admire your values.

And...you’re not an arsehole for wanting to better yourself and earn what you deserve.

And also...you’re not really leaving them in the lurch. Dealing with staff turnover is all part of running a business and that’s why there’s notice periods.

Plus...I’m sure your current manager has other people to support them in dealing with their family issues so no need for you to feel guilty.

Again you're right Izzy. 

As for the issues she's having, her husband has just recovered from Pneumonia and has now been diagnosed with cancer. It was only this morning she mentioned about stuff being passed my way as she has time off to deal with it. So I do feel sorry for her, because they'll need someone new in and they'll need training up. But as you both say, I need to look after myself first and foremost, and they'll have to get help from elsewhere or even find a temp.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

You're totally right. I do payroll for an external site, theyve owned it since last march, but its paid weekly rather than monthly like the rest of the business. I know I'd be gone if they decide to offload the site or if they decided to bring them all onto line and pay monthly. 

Again you're right Izzy. 

As for the issues she's having, her husband has just recovered from Pneumonia and has now been diagnosed with cancer. It was only this morning she mentioned about stuff being passed my way as she has time off to deal with it. So I do feel sorry for her, because they'll need someone new in and they'll need training up. But as you both say, I need to look after myself first and foremost, and they'll have to get help from elsewhere or even find a temp.

Is there a pressing need for you at the new gaff? Can you accept an offer but start work several weeks (months?) down the line if that's possible?

23 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Is there a pressing need for you at the new gaff? Can you accept an offer but start work several weeks (months?) down the line if that's possible?

Think the person leaving is going pretty soon, I'll find out more tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Jobs are like buses. Lost my job in February, was back in work by March. Now I've basically been head hunter by a former colleague who's contacted my about a role where she now works. Her bosses seems keen to see me, and should be seeing them tomorrow.

I'd feel bad leaving after such a short time, and my current manager is going through some pretty bad family issues, but its potentially a £4k pay rise and going back to what I really enjoy, and a busy, vibrant office. I know people will say look after number one and if it's worth it go for it, but doesn't make me feel any less of an arsehole for leaving people in the lurch.

Your life, your decision. Sounds like decent pay increase and a job you'll prefer more. It's a no-brainer. The right decision is not always the easiest decision.

6 hours ago, Manini said:

Parking fine mate. 

Why did you get a ticket if your parking was fine??????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Jobs are like buses. Lost my job in February, was back in work by March. Now I've basically been head hunter by a former colleague who's contacted my about a role where she now works. Her bosses seems keen to see me, and should be seeing them tomorrow.

I'd feel bad leaving after such a short time, and my current manager is going through some pretty bad family issues, but its potentially a £4k pay rise and going back to what I really enjoy, and a busy, vibrant office. I know people will say look after number one and if it's worth it go for it, but doesn't make me feel any less of an arsehole for leaving people in the lurch.

That arse hole feeling well wear off soon enough. It might take a day out might take a week but that extra 4k is every year and the better work environment is every day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Got offered the job ??

Many congratulations.

Am glad you've accepted it, as think am right in thinking you weren't overly keen with the company/job you had that you started in March (?).

2 job offers to decide on over the weekend. What variables do people consider when trying to decide on one, particularly at an early stage in career? One has a significantly higher financial reward (much higher base salary, better benefits and equity), the other just feels more suitable and draws me in more besides the financials.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

2 job offers to decide on over the weekend. What variables do people consider when trying to decide on one, particularly at an early stage in career? One has a significantly higher financial reward (much higher base salary, better benefits and equity), the other just feels more suitable and draws me in more besides the financials.

do the one that is going to make you want to get up every morning.

money is nothing if you hate your job. satisfaction first and foremost - all day long,.

unless you have any pressing financial issue which mean you need the extra money - and as you're asking how to decide, I'm assuming it's not an issue.

so yeah, the one that feels right and is going to put a smile on your face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Nice to have two !!  ...   go where the fancy takes you ...   do what you want to do ..   no need to worry about which pays best ..  especially early in your career ..  other things in life are probably more important ..   :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Also depends how ambitious you are and what your ultimate goal is.

I assume the job with the higher salary has more responsibility? Think about your CV because if you start your career at a 'higher' level you could fast track to a top job much quicker. Assuming the jobs are with different companies, I'd also consider which has a stronger name and reputation in the marketplace which would appeal more to future prospective employers.  

Most young people don't stay in jobs for more than a few years these days. If you're a bit selfish/ruthless at this stage, you could accelerate your career quicker than going with the job that 'feels' more suitable right now. Does it draw you in because it's easier and more comfortable or are you prepared to step out your comfort zone and face the challenge of a better paid job?

You've got your entire working life to find jobs that you enjoy, but while you're young and full of energy you might want to think about how this decision could have a knock on effect later.

Just a different perspective that's all...

• Thanks 1