Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Still up trying to write a eulogy to deliver to 200 people on Tuesday at my MIL's funeral.

I was asked by the wife and my brother-in-laws to say something but I'm a bit stuck. 

I'll happily get up in front of 200 business people and talk shite but this is different :(

Edited by Izzy

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Still up trying to write a eulogy to deliver to 200 people on Tuesday at my MIL's funeral.

I was asked by the wife and my brother-in-laws to say something but I'm a bit stuck. 

I'll happily get up in front of 200 business people and talk shite but this is different :(

unlucky mate....

..just remember to write 'deep breath'  in your notes at a few points- the emotion can jump out and catch you when you least expect it.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'd say just speak from the heart and speak about what your memories are mate.

You've been so good to so many people on here and clearly those closest to here have confidence in you to be able to do her justice.

Best of luck mate, try not to overthink it and let us know how it goes! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Its all about being genuine and simple. Im sure you will find the right words. Best of luck and condolences to the family again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I've known you 30+ years mate and I know you'll do this justice.

A eulogy is a tough thing to do. The one for my dad was the worst experience but also the best experience.

Speak honestly, be warm, celebrate their life, share the warmth they brought to their children ... even crack some related funnies if it feels right.

Give me a shout if you want a listening ear, mate x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

When i did my Step dads... I picked a something that epitomised him... and based it around that.. used it as a theme if you will.

He wasnt anything particularly special.. he was just an all round average "Good Man", so i pegged that to my memories and his achievements.

Good luck mate, just speak from what you know and believe and youll be fine :)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

A eulogy praises the departed but it's primarily for the living.  What would your wife want to hear?  She's the one with a hollow space in her life where her mother used to be.

One of your strengths is being able to find the right words, you've done it innumerable times on FT and particularly in the Depression thread.  The eulogy couldn't be in better hands.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LestaAl said:

unlucky mate....

..just remember to write 'deep breath'  in your notes at a few points- the emotion can jump out and catch you when you least expect it.

11 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I'd say just speak from the heart and speak about what your memories are mate.

You've been so good to so many people on here and clearly those closest to here have confidence in you to be able to do her justice.

Best of luck mate, try not to overthink it and let us know how it goes! :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Its all about being genuine and simple. Im sure you will find the right words. Best of luck and condolences to the family again.

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I've known you 30+ years mate and I know you'll do this justice.

A eulogy is a tough thing to do. The one for my dad was the worst experience but also the best experience.

Speak honestly, be warm, celebrate their life, share the warmth they brought to their children ... even crack some related funnies if it feels right.

Give me a shout if you want a listening ear, mate x

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

When i did my Step dads... I picked a something that epitomised him... and based it around that.. used it as a theme if you will.

He wasnt anything particularly special.. he was just an all round average "Good Man", so i pegged that to my memories and his achievements.

Good luck mate, just speak from what you know and believe and youll be fine :)

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

A eulogy praises the departed but it's primarily for the living.  What would your wife want to hear?  She's the one with a hollow space in her life where her mother used to be.

One of your strengths is being able to find the right words, you've done it innumerable times on FT and particularly in the Depression thread.  The eulogy couldn't be in better hands.

Thanks very much chaps for your kind words of support and tips on how to write this - it really means a lot.

I think I've ended up with something that ticks most of the boxes and my main concern now is just holding it all together tomorrow without bursting into tears!

Bless you all. There really are some good people on FT :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks very much chaps for your kind words of support and tips on how to write this - it really means a lot.

I think I've ended up with something that ticks most of the boxes and my main concern now is just holding it all together tomorrow without bursting into tears!

Bless you all. There really are some good people on FT :thumbup:

Good luck mate :)

Also, as a note, if you press your tongue onto the roof of your mouth, it helps prevent choking up/crying

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

My missus has been offered a new job on better hours and pay and closer to home and I'm currently working on nuclear engine parts. 

What a flipping exciting day. :banana:

Congrats to her!

My fella's just had a preliminary offer from a job he applied for almost 9 months ago (he was put on the reserve list at the time). Pay will work out about the same after travel, but its a way out of retail and it'll mean we'll actually have (at least part of) a weekend off together on a regular basis rather than working opposite days all the time.

My work isn't quite as exciting as yours sounds though - I've been debugging the tiniest little glitches with a dashboard I've created and been getting absolutely nowhere lol 

• Like 2

Good timing on the conversation, I’ve got a big interview myself this week that will really help my career progress. 

Just tried my suit on, for the first time in a year, remembered how nice wearing a good suit is. If I get this job, I might put some money aside and look to get a tailor-made suit.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Xen said:

Congrats to her!

My fella's just had a preliminary offer from a job he applied for almost 9 months ago (he was put on the reserve list at the time). Pay will work out about the same after travel, but its a way out of retail and it'll mean we'll actually have (at least part of) a weekend off together on a regular basis rather than working opposite days all the time.

My work isn't quite as exciting as yours sounds though - I've been debugging the tiniest little glitches with a dashboard I've created and been getting absolutely nowhere lol 

Usually my job is fairly boring in all honesty. Mainly standing around thumb twiddling. A nice change of pace making something out of the ordinary. Bit strange having to sign confidentiality nonsense though. lol

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Good timing on the conversation, I’ve got a big interview myself this week that will really help my career progress. 

Just tried my suit on, for the first time in a year, remembered how nice wearing a good suit is. If I get this job, I might put some money aside and look to get a tailor-made suit.

Id love to wear tailor made jogging/track pants at my job.

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Fries supreme. Wake up with the shits?

Love them fries supreme!

System can always do with a good clean out from time to time.

Funny thing, I used to get Taco Bell all the time since there was two of them near where I worked in Oakville. They both closed down. Maybe some people died or something lol.

Now they just have the ones in the food courts at the malls. I'm never usually in the mall, but my counselling is there now in an upstairs that I didn't know existed.

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Love them fries supreme!

System can always do with a good clean out from time to time.

Funny thing, I used to get Taco Bell all the time since there was two of them near where I worked in Oakville. They both closed down. Maybe some people died or something lol.

Now they just have the ones in the food courts at the malls. I'm never usually in the mall, but my counselling is there now in an upstairs that I didn't know existed.

Trafalgar one huh? I used to work off appleby (south service rd area) and me and my buddy would trek down on lunch once in a blue moon to get fries supreme. Was gutted when it closed. There is one in milton (half kfc, half toxic smell) but ive been maybe 3 times in the 8 years i have been  there.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Who's doorstep did you eat it on? :P

If you check the neighbour thread you would know its mine.  The man has no manners!

• Haha 1

Just spoke to my aunty who lives in Bristol, she's currently trying to sell her house to downsize now all the kids have left home. Had someone come round today to view it, they asked for 10% off the asking price because the house doesn't face Mecca.

...Wtf? Is this even a thing? Never heard of any importance on which way houses face bar the whole solar panel thing. :unsure:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Just spoke to my aunty who lives in Bristol, she's currently trying to sell her house to downsize now all the kids have left home. Had someone come round today to view it, they asked for 10% off the asking price because the house doesn't face Mecca.

...Wtf? Is this even a thing? Never heard of any importance on which way houses face bar the whole solar panel thing. :unsure:

If they're strongly religious then it maybe something they find important in a house. 

Muslims pray towards Mecca so potentially due to that. 

23 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If they're strongly religious then it maybe something they find important in a house. 

Muslims pray towards Mecca so potentially due to that. 

So they should look for a house facing mecca, not expect people to give them a discount because it doesn't. I mean if a house has major work needed on it fair enough, but that's a bit cheeky.

• Like 1