Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Pub snobbery

Saw the news this morning about Wetherspoons putting half a million beer mats filled with utter BS on the tables of their outlets. Now don't get me wrong, cut me open and I bleed royal blue with gold stars, and I am an ardent remainer, but by golly the utter snobbery coming from other remainers and the left is laughable.

Everyone that goes to Wetherspoons seems to be pigeon-holed into being a brexit voting scumbag who go straight to JD straight from the benefits office (paraphrasing, of course.) It's that kind of ridiculous stereotyping that repulses people from the snobby, I'm better than you attitude that's so unnecessary. I'm a tight bastard, so visiting a Spoons is high on my list. Cheap beer, 9 times out of 10 there's a nice atmosphere, or somewhere to find one, food is what you'd expect it to be.

I think the man running JD is an idiot for politicking in his outlets, it's so stupid and that kind of corporate propaganda is not what I want when I want a drink or some food, but people show their true colours with these things, and it's quite sad to see.

Now if it'd been Lamplighters on the other hand ;)

• Like 1

NatWest. Just tried to order a vacuum cleaner from Shark and they blocked the transaction, no idea why (yes I have enough money to cover the vacuum cleaner)

Tried my other card. Blocked that transaction.

Half an hour later I get a fvcking dodgy-looking text from them saying they've blocked my card(/s). Then a text from a different number with details of the transactions asking if they were requested by me. If I say Yes (to unblock my card) I'm gonna have two fvcking vacuum cleaners turn up. So now the missus is gonna be arsey with me as I said I'll order the fvcking vacuum, and my cards are blocked. Oh and Birstall NatWest is no longer open on Saturdays i.e. the only time normal people can get to the bank. Fvcking thanks you cvntplums.

8 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

NatWest. Just tried to order a vacuum cleaner from Shark and they blocked the transaction, no idea why (yes I have enough money to cover the vacuum cleaner)

Tried my other card. Blocked that transaction.

Half an hour later I get a fvcking dodgy-looking text from them saying they've blocked my card(/s). Then a text from a different number with details of the transactions asking if they were requested by me. If I say Yes (to unblock my card) I'm gonna have two fvcking vacuum cleaners turn up. So now the missus is gonna be arsey with me as I said I'll order the fvcking vacuum, and my cards are blocked. Oh and Birstall NatWest is no longer open on Saturdays i.e. the only time normal people can get to the bank. Fvcking thanks you cvntplums.

I've had this problem with Nat West a couple of times in recent months.

Turned out that they were ridiculous fraud prevention measures.

Their system was set up to block any significant transaction that did not fit my usual pattern of transactions.

One of the transactions blocked was for a bus travel pass for a summer holiday in the Republic of Ireland.....well, yes, living in Leicester, I don't buy a travel pass for Ireland every week! Tends to be a very untypical transaction....

So they block it, covering their backs by depriving me of their service!  Likewise, I don't suppose you buy a vacuum cleaner several times a month....

If you can get their fraud prevention line, they might be able to sort it out. If not, what could be more romantic than his-and-hers hoovers?

Have the same problem with Natwest, every time I use my card abroad the next transaction gets declined, I even take the number with me now.

Never had a problem with a domestic transaction though. 

10 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The benefits system; especially the trend where the more kids you have etc, the more £ you could likely to get.

9 hours ago, Webbo said:

You're really going for it this week aren't you?

Must...... resist...  

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've had this problem with Nat West a couple of times in recent months.

Turned out that they were ridiculous fraud prevention measures.

Their system was set up to block any significant transaction that did not fit my usual pattern of transactions.

One of the transactions blocked was for a bus travel pass for a summer holiday in the Republic of Ireland.....well, yes, living in Leicester, I don't buy a travel pass for Ireland every week! Tends to be a very untypical transaction....

So they block it, covering their backs by depriving me of their service!  Likewise, I don't suppose you buy a vacuum cleaner several times a month....

If you can get their fraud prevention line, they might be able to sort it out. If not, what could be more romantic than his-and-hers hoovers?

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Have the same problem with Natwest, every time I use my card abroad the next transaction gets declined, I even take the number with me now.

Never had a problem with a domestic transaction though. 

This is ridiculous, I've got a feeling Shark vacuums are based in Germany so it could be that. Of course it's outside the usual pattern, how often do you need to buy a new vacuum cleaner, every 5 years?

Will phone their helpline when I get a chance, though the missus had to phone their general helpline yesterday after they ballsed up our new mortgage payment and she gave up waiting after being on hold for over half an hour

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

This is ridiculous, I've got a feeling Shark vacuums are based in Germany so it could be that. Of course it's outside the usual pattern, how often do you need to buy a new vacuum cleaner, every 5 years?

Will phone their helpline when I get a chance, though the missus had to phone their general helpline yesterday after they ballsed up our new mortgage payment and she gave up waiting after being on hold for over half an hour

I had a business account with NatWest a few years ago and they blocked my cards whilst we were working in Hull. I was supposed to pay for 4 hotel rooms for myself and some subbies and it got rejected and i couldnt sort it out. I had to borrow money off one of the guys i was giving a contract too and reimburse him later. A huge embarrassment and I've never banked with them since.

15 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks for that, Crinkly - quite encouraging.

I've already been on beta blockers for several years. They've upped the dose to the max after this latest episode to try to encourage the ticker to self-correct (not worked yet but only 8 days in - self-corrected after 2-3 weeks first 2 times).

That's interesting about the effectiveness of the anti-arrhythmic, though. I was only on an anti-arrhythmic very briefly. Taking those regularly might be the way forward, whether it self-corrects or corrects via cardioversion - or even doesn't correct.

Certainly agree re. strokes. Sounds like your Dad's exit was similar to my Mum's. She was left semi-paralysed by a stroke, seemed set to partly recover but then had a 2nd fatal stroke 8 days later.

Desperately sad though that was, she was 80 and went quickly. I'd be more worried about what happened to my cousin. She had a stroke in her late 60s but lingered on in a desperate state for another 9-10 years.

I'm staying on the Warfarin to minimise the chances of stroke, anyway....no guarantees, but better odds, and nobody gets any guarantees, anyway, AF or not!

Your cousin's experience sounds horrific.  That reminds me that I must tell my children what my father told me - if he was only being kept alive by a machine to turn it off and let him die.  I think that without that instruction they'd find it too hard to do it.

I was off the beta-blockers for many years but was put back on them after a period of continuous af lasting 11 days in 2015.  At that time I was also put on a relatively new drug called Rivaroxaban.  It is an alternative to Warfarin but you don't have to have the level regularly monitored by blood tests (which my mum had for several years).  Might be worth a look.

The 11 day af session was ended on a day when I did quite a bit more exercise than usual.  Not that I'm inactive but in af you'll appreciate that you're restricted as the heart isn't delivering blood around the body efficiently.  However on the day I flipped by into sinus rhythm I'd done quite a bit of walking up and down hills and in the evening I suddenly noticed that my heart had self-corrected.  I've had another significant (shorter) period of af since and I applied the extra exercise method and got back into sinus rhythm fairly quickly.  Just another possibility you might want to consider.

I've taken the Tambocor daily now for over 20 years, straight after the cardioversion, no side effects noticeable.  Apparently long term use can toughen up your arteries but I went for some tests last year to check that out and it hadn't happened.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Your cousin's experience sounds horrific.  That reminds me that I must tell my children what my father told me - if he was only being kept alive by a machine to turn it off and let him die.  I think that without that instruction they'd find it too hard to do it.

I was off the beta-blockers for many years but was put back on them after a period of continuous af lasting 11 days in 2015.  At that time I was also put on a relatively new drug called Rivaroxaban.  It is an alternative to Warfarin but you don't have to have the level regularly monitored by blood tests (which my mum had for several years).  Might be worth a look.

The 11 day af session was ended on a day when I did quite a bit more exercise than usual.  Not that I'm inactive but in af you'll appreciate that you're restricted as the heart isn't delivering blood around the body efficiently.  However on the day I flipped by into sinus rhythm I'd done quite a bit of walking up and down hills and in the evening I suddenly noticed that my heart had self-corrected.  I've had another significant (shorter) period of af since and I applied the extra exercise method and got back into sinus rhythm fairly quickly.  Just another possibility you might want to consider.

I've taken the Tambocor daily now for over 20 years, straight after the cardioversion, no side effects noticeable.  Apparently long term use can toughen up your arteries but I went for some tests last year to check that out and it hadn't happened.  

Thanks again for that.

A bit of vigorous walking up and down hills sounds like an experiment worth trying.

When I get to see the medics, I plan to ask them about anti-arrhythmics as, after 4 episodes in 4 years, it seems reasonable to assume that a vulnerability will remain.

I was fine with Warfarin until this recent disruption. As my blood thickness remained within range for 12-18 months, I was only having to go for blood tests about once every 3 months, which is no hassle.

12 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The benefits system; especially the trend where the more kids you have etc, the more £ you could likely to get.

I like you Wymsey.  I like that you speak your mind! 

Although it’s true what your saying and i do agree that if you can’t afford to have children, don't have them argument but..

Do you feel more aggrieved by the child benefit system or the benefits foreigners recieve ? Not just finacially but the housing they seem to be prioritised to recieving too  

Or the people who wrongfully claim incapacity benefit etc  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I had a business account with NatWest a few years ago and they blocked my cards whilst we were working in Hull. I was supposed to pay for 4 hotel rooms for myself and some subbies and it got rejected and i couldnt sort it out. I had to borrow money off one of the guys i was giving a contract too and reimburse him later. A huge embarrassment and I've never banked with them since.

Jesus that's a pickle. I've never really had any problems before but this was a major annoyance. To be fair, they were trying to protect me and when I phoned the fraud hotline earlier they put me in 5 minutes, answered a few questions and they've unblocked my cards

2 hours ago, sk3since03 said:

I like you Wymsey.  I like that you speak your mind! 

Although it’s true what your saying and i do agree that if you can’t afford to have children, don't have them argument but..

Do you feel more aggrieved by the child benefit system or the benefits foreigners recieve ? Not just finacially but the housing they seem to be prioritised to recieving too  

Or the people who wrongfully claim incapacity benefit etc  

This is my point regarding this subject.

I watch a television show yesterday comprising of Mother's with 9 and 6 children respectively, and that they complained that they "deserve more money and a bigger house" because they've decided to have more children - as if they don't have a care in the world about what others think about them about this but also fail to understand that there's people with less children that would love to have the extra benefits that these Mothers with 6/9 children have/want more of and are struggling as well.

9 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

This is my point regarding this subject.

I watch a television show yesterday comprising of Mother's with 9 and 6 children respectively, and that they complained that they "deserve more money and a bigger house" because they've decided to have more children - as if they don't have a care in the world about what others think about them about this but also fail to understand that there's people with less children that would love to have the extra benefits that these Mothers with 6/9 children have/want more of and are struggling as well.

Yeah i don’t agree with that at all and your right! You have to blame the system though i’m afraid not those that abuse it 

It's my day off and one of my housemate has been at home all day watching the TV since 9 in the morning so I've been leaving her to it because she gets real weird when she watches shows, you can't say a word to her without her treating it like a gross attack on her leisure time.  Just now I got back from a shop run and found the living room gloriously empty for the first time today so I put on an episode of Always Sunny and within seconds she comes back down and starts loudly talking over everything and asking to put Blue Planet 2 on despite having had a conversation earlier where I told her I'd already seen it, she literally couldn't even handle 20 minutes of not having something she chose on the TV.  Unbelievably selfish.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's my day off and one of my housemate has been at home all day watching the TV since 9 in the morning so I've been leaving her to it because she gets real weird when she watches shows, you can't say a word to her without her treating it like a gross attack on her leisure time.  Just now I got back from a shop run and found the living room gloriously empty for the first time today so I put on an episode of Always Sunny and within seconds she comes back down and starts loudly talking over everything and asking to put Blue Planet 2 on despite having had a conversation earlier where I told her I'd already seen it, she literally couldn't even handle 20 minutes of not having something she chose on the TV.  Unbelievably selfish.

Gagging for it, mate. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Gagging for it, mate. 

I bloody hope not, I could make wigs out of the pubes she leaves in the shower, must look like a white Bob Marley down there!

We just had a funny conversation about starting a new cleaning rota - I'm strongly anti since they never work properly, I'm very much a clean as I go or as I spot something nasty kinda guy but having to chase people down to do 'their job' every week is no fun and ruins the mood in the house - I've not mentioned it since we got a new housemate and tore the old one up but she brought it up just now and she seems to have dropped the issue for now because I suggested that she could convince me to change my mind if she put herself on the week before me lol (on the last one she was after me so obviously never had the problem of people not doing their job the week before)