Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

19 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

There was an old bloke at our local park this morning picking up dog shit.

So I shouted over "It's good to see there's at least one responsible dog owner around here mate!" and gave him the thumbs up.

Then I noticed he didn't have a dog.

Or a bag.

:D 

That still doesn't explain why he was picking up your girlfriend:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Meh.  This is not different from saying you or I spend money on a new car or a night out when there's children starving in the world and not getting basic healthcare.

I think your sense of scale is broken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What do you eat during breaks to keep you going during those shifts?..

whatever I want bro. 

did debate joining the queue in a dirty kebab gaff on my way to work last week with all the folks being kicked out the bars but couldn’t do it. one day, man, one day. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think perhaps there's a difference in spending a little cash on something either materially or psychologically necessary (like a car or a night out) and splurging eight or nine figures on variegated layers of paint simply because they can and because the person who painted it happens to be the flavour of the time.

Yeh, that fly-by-night Leonardo Da Vinci. Come tomorrow, he'll go back to the pit of obscurity where he belongs.

• Like 1

People who use the word "austerity" in the Politics thread, but don't know what the word means. 

Ok, I am an old timer, from an era where you worked for a living and didn't expect something / everything for nothing. But it really gets my goat, when well healed agitators with the latest iPhones pontificate about how they are disadvantaged. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BoyJones said:

People who use the word "austerity" in the Politics thread, but don't know what the word means. 

Ok, I am an old timer, from an era where you worked for a living and didn't expect something / everything for nothing. But it really gets my goat, when well healed agitators with the latest iPhones pontificate about how they are disadvantaged. 

10 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Old people parroting cliche’s about younger people and iPhones as if that explains everything.

Baby boomers pretending they’ve lived through hard times when in fact they’re the most privileged generation in the history of humanity.

I guess its not really as black and white as 'one generation have it better than another', it depends how you gauge what 'better' is.

For example, our generation (I'm technically a millennial albeit on the older side) have more opportunities to travel and connect with the rest of the world (at minimal cost) than others before us. When it comes to owning your own home however...

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

For example, our generation (I'm technically a millennial albeit on the older side) have more opportunities to travel and connect with the rest of the world (at minimal cost) than others before us. When it comes to owning your own home however...

I genuinely think the reason a lot of people cannot afford their own homes, is they cannot identity and give up luxuries. I see plenty of people complaining that they cannot save a deposit but they are out every weekend, have the latest iPhones, xboxes, Sky TV, boast about having the quickest internet connection etc etc. I bought my house 6 years ago and was on just above minimum wage, the wife was on a bit more but only part time. We gave up every non necessity to get it done.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I guess its not really as black and white as 'one generation have it better than another', it depends how you gauge what 'better' is.

Fair point. Personally I'd give up some of my economic freedom for my parents' economic security. 

Just now, Strokes said:

I genuinely think the reason a lot of people cannot afford their own homes, is they cannot identity and give up luxuries. I see plenty of people complaining that they cannot save a deposit but they are out every weekend, have the latest iPhones, xboxes, Sky TV, boast about having the quickest internet connection etc etc. I bought my house 6 years ago and was on just above minimum wage, the wife was on a bit more but only part time. We gave up every non necessity to get it done.

Outside London I don’t think houses are as unaffordable as some make out, but it’s a fact that they’re significantly more expensive on a multiple of average income basis than they were a couple of decades ago. 

14 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Outside London I don’t think houses are as unaffordable as some make out, but it’s a fact that they’re significantly more expensive on a multiple of average income basis than they were a couple of decades ago. 

Interesting fact (well i think) and im in no way denying the absurdly outrageous house pricing, but when i first went to buy a house in the early 80s my wife and i were both working so we could easily afford to buy a cheaper end home..BUT, the bank would not take my wifes income in to account as she was a woman and therefore they couldn not assume her wages would continue into the future as she would probably get pregnant etc.

I only mention it as, while it seemed much easier for us to buy a house, there were some different problems.

20 hours ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Yeh, that fly-by-night Leonardo Da Vinci. Come tomorrow, he'll go back to the pit of obscurity where he belongs.

:D Thankfully da Vinci was also known for other stuff than painting.

Probably just an issue with me, but I honestly don't get why people spend vast sums on artwork by particular artists throughout history, other than to prove simply that they can. It's all so...subjective.

23 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Parents who let their children scan and pack items of their shopping thinking it’s a game. 

I’ve got 20 minutes left of my lunch break and I’m wasting 10 minutes of it stood in a fvcking queue waiting for little Jonny to scan some fvcking washing tablets. 

I find this a real pain in the arse. Especially at the weekend when whole families seem to go shopping together, like people used to go to the park. I never shop in a supermarket in the daytime or at weekends.

On 17/11/2017 at 18:10, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Parents who let their children scan and pack items of their shopping thinking it’s a game. 

I’ve got 20 minutes left of my lunch break and I’m wasting 10 minutes of it stood in a fvcking queue waiting for little Jonny to scan some fvcking washing tablets. 

Supermarkets in general are a pain in the arse. Today I encouted two blokes having a catch up in the veg section for what seemed like an eternity, them and their trolleys blocking half the produce. A couple getting in the way because they needed to have a huge discussion about which yoghurts to buy. Along with numerous other people who didn't seem to realise other people where in the store, just meandering around aimlessly or looking one way and walking the other. The worst two though were the old guy who when I was getting my trolley at the start arrives just after to put his back. As I'm putting my quid in he literally walks right up behind me with his trolley. I've got a line of trolleys one side and a barrier the other, and I can only go backwards, where the **** did he think I was going to go? I stepped back not knowing he was there and ended up nearly sending him flying. Then inside I'm in a busy egg aisle, just put a box in my trolley and I'm waiting for someone to move theirs so I can carry on to the bread. A woman on the other side of the trolley I'm waiting to move, immediately steps in as soon as it does and then starts struggling to get some eggs from the shelf I'm stood by. If she'd let me go she could have stood where I stood and I'd have been on my way. Instead she blocked me in and couldn't reach what she wanted. People are becoming more and more impatient and more and more oblivious to those around then.

• Like 1

I absolutely do not understand mothers/fathers who PLASTER social media with pictures of their new child. I'm not a father, so maybe the below makes me heartless and I just "don't understand"

By all means, pose for a picture of your newborn after they're born. Of course, maybe after six months or a year you'd like to show us all how they're progressing. Let's face it, you're child in the first six months looks like any other baby, so it's only special to you and immediate family really.

What I do not want to see are any pictures of the following...

• Their first sleep
  • Every single outfit they wear
  • Posing with EVERY SINGLE family member
  • The first time they're outside in a buggy
  • When they have a funny hat on
  • When they're laughing
  • DEFINITELY not when they're crying
  • When you're relaxing when your child is asleep "First date night since INSERT NAME HERE arrived into our world"
  • When it's sitting in a buggy whilst you're eating out
  • Your baby with another baby I've seen countless times on my timeline already
  • Pictures of it "celebrating" its ONE WEEK (WTF)/One month/two month birthday

There are literally only so many times someone can like/love/wow your Facebook photos, and only so many generic comments about how cute/beautiful/gorgeous/sweet your baby looks before it gets old. Document your child's formative years, just don't inflict this on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram so publically.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I absolutely do not understand mothers/fathers who PLASTER social media with pictures of their new child. I'm not a father, so maybe the below makes me heartless and I just "don't understand"

By all means, pose for a picture of your newborn after they're born. Of course, maybe after six months or a year you'd like to show us all how they're progressing. Let's face it, you're child in the first six months looks like any other baby, so it's only special to you and immediate family really.

What I do not want to see are any pictures of the following...

• Their first sleep
  • Every single outfit they wear
  • Posing with EVERY SINGLE family member
  • The first time they're outside in a buggy
  • When they have a funny hat on
  • When they're laughing
  • DEFINITELY not when they're crying
  • When you're relaxing when your child is asleep "First date night since INSERT NAME HERE arrived into our world"
  • When it's sitting in a buggy whilst you're eating out
  • Your baby with another baby I've seen countless times on my timeline already
  • Pictures of it "celebrating" its ONE WEEK (WTF)/One month/two month birthday

There are literally only so many times someone can like/love/wow your Facebook photos, and only so many generic comments about how cute/beautiful/gorgeous/sweet your baby looks before it gets old. Document your child's formative years, just don't inflict this on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram so publically.

I ageee I mean dogs fair enough but babies? No thank you