Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

6 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

The interest we are supposed to have in womens sport - football cricket etc. I just can't be interested in it. Don't get me wrong they have done well but it's not for me. With the expection of beach volleyball womens sport doesnt do anything for me!!! 

It's like the ashes coming up I'm looking foward to watching it but the womens one is being played now and I couldnt care less. 

Tbf I clicked a BBC goals reel from women's football earlier thinking it would just be more slow, high shots flapped at by useless keepers like in the world cup a few years ago but there were some legit screamers in there.  I'm not keen on the way we're expected to enjoy it equally or else we're sexist but I'm happy for the powers that be to keep pushing it because with more exposure they're clearly attracting better players and improving the level of the sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

I get being annoyed at someone for taking time off all the time for questionable problems but surgery I mean come on? I know someone who broke there back in the course of their work and got so much grief for being off for a month. 

I know, right? Total lack of any kind of empathy.

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf I clicked a BBC goals reel from women's football earlier thinking it would just be more slow, high shots flapped at by useless keepers like in the world cup a few years ago but there were some legit screamers in there.  I'm not keen on the way we're expected to enjoy it equally or else we're sexist but I'm happy for the powers that be to keep pushing it because with more exposure they're clearly attracting better players and improving the level of the sport.

That's what annoys me that were expected to enjoy it otherwise were sexist - maybe it's more to do with the media pushing it. I remember watching the news before motd and the sport section started with highlights of a womens fb match!!!! Obviously I hope they improve but youve got to be fair and balanced 

Fvcking heart arrhythmias!

After 18 months of regularity, my heart went out of rhythm again a week ago - 4th time in 4 years. Happened off the back of a month-long chest infection and despite a recent heart review showing the ticker in good nick.

No big disaster in the short-term. Can hardly notice it. A barely perceptible flutter and marginally less energy than usual. Slightly increased chance of a stroke, that's all.

I was still overtaking lots of people half my age walking back up the hill to Welford Rd after the match.

It might self-correct (happened after 2-3 weeks the first 2 times, but didn't happen last time). If not, I'm heading for cardioversion (planned defibrillation) within 2 months. That doesn't bother me either, though I'd prefer to avoid it.

Apparently it takes 10 minutes, is done under sedation and you don't even stay the night. Very low risk, 80-90% chance of correcting rhythm....though only 20-25% chance it'll still be regular in a year's time.

2 aspects grind my gears:

- It feels like the 1939-40 phoney war. Common sense suggests that if it goes wrong 4 times in 4 years, just triggered by a chest infection or pushing a box then worse problems await. Don't like the idea of ending up debilitated (or worse) when I'm still in my 50s....I still have the energy and desire for at least 15 years more active fun and adventures yet. :thumbup:

- The last 3 years have been one disaster after another (deaths of both parents, marriage breakdown/divorce and minor heart surgery, to mention a few) but I was just feeling positive about getting on track again.....then this! :dry:

Not after sympathy (well, not much) as I pride myself on being an obstinate, defiant, resilient bloke. I just cannot believe this run of bad luck.....though I know a lot of people have a lot worse, and I had very little bad luck for my first 52 years....

I know you don't exist, God, but just give me a fvcking break, you beardy arsehole! :D

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

After 18 months of regularity, my heart went out of rhythm again a week ago - 4th time in 4 years. Happened off the back of a month-long chest infection and despite a recent heart review showing the ticker in good nick.

No big disaster in the short-term. Can hardly notice it. A barely perceptible flutter and marginally less energy than usual. Slightly increased chance of a stroke, that's all.

I was still overtaking lots of people half my age walking back up the hill to Welford Rd after the match.

It might self-correct (happened after 2-3 weeks the first 2 times, but didn't happen last time). If not, I'm heading for cardioversion (planned defibrillation) within 2 months. That doesn't bother me either, though I'd prefer to avoid it.

Apparently it takes 10 minutes, is done under sedation and you don't even stay the night. Very low risk, 80-90% chance of correcting rhythm....though only 20-25% chance it'll still be regular in a year's time.

- It feels like the 1939-40 phoney war. Common sense suggests that if it goes wrong 4 times in 4 years, just triggered by a chest infection or pushing a box then worse problems await. Don't like the idea of ending up debilitated (or worse) when I'm still in my 50s....I still have the energy and desire for at least 15 years more active fun and adventures yet. :thumbup:

- The last 3 years have been one disaster after another (deaths of both parents, marriage breakdown/divorce and minor heart surgery, to mention a few) but I was just feeling positive about getting on track again.....then this! :dry:

Not after sympathy (well, not much) as I pride myself on being an obstinate, defiant, resilient bloke. I just cannot believe this run of bad luck.....though I know a lot of people have a lot worse, and I had very little bad luck for my first 52 years....

I know you don't exist, God, but just give me a fvcking break, you beardy arsehole! :D

You've had a shitty run of luck Alf, I hope things get better for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The Jeremy Kyle Show.

A stageshow comprising of trying to solve guest's problems (often the same-old topics covered), but just with different oddballs..

Only seen it the odd time but always seemed to involve a lot of savages shrieking at one another and sometimes hitting one another, while Jeremy baits them and the audience lap up the debauchery.

Sunday lunch with the full set of my in-laws involves strikingly similar conduct, just a bit more middle-class. Won't have to attend those again now! :D 

2 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Keeping up with the kardashians - a reality show with talentless egocentric family. And yet theyve made millions over the years. I have no interest in what they do or don't do. But theres always one of them in the media doing something. 

I'm proud to say that I know almost nothing about the Kardashians, I honestly wouldn't be able to identify a photo of any of them.

Sum total of my knowledge: They are famous for promoting their own fame, one of them is named Kim and some of them have large breasts.

Please don't enlighten me any further. :D

• Like 1

Twitter when breaking news breaks.

I should know better than to follow a story on there but it never ceases to amaze me how some people respond.

An incident in NYC now and folks jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Like a race to be first with the latest numbers of dead and injured. Bizzare.

And all the ‘pray for Manhattan’ tweets before the police or authorities have released any info.

The world is in such a rush. Slow the fvck down people...

• Like 2

A bit late this time, but I will still keep try to keep posting it every six months.

Stop pissing around with the clocks!

It's a remnant of world war two. Move them half an hour an leave them alone.

If the Scots want to moan, let them have their independence and set their own time.

Till March then.

MUGS - different shapes some parallel some tapered, different heights, large handles, small handles. When it's my turn to make them it's a pain in the backside carrying them down the stairs, scolded fingers and then the lads moaning they only have half a cup!! Rant over!!

Before anyone says "how about a tray" Don't you think I've enough to carry:D

22 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

The Jeremy Kyle Show.

A stageshow comprising of trying to solve guest's problems (often the same-old topics covered), but just with different oddballs..

When I was lying in bed at 5 this morning having a choccy bar and a cup of coffee guess what I was watching on the box for 10 minutes before I sprang into action ..   good old Jezza ! ..   and very entertaining he was too.   I was only sorry I couldn't stay for the end to find out who was the baby daddy ...     mind you if I was the young sprog I would have had my little fingers crossed that it wasn't the throwback that was being tested ...   :)

1 hour ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

MUGS - different shapes some parallel some tapered, different heights, large handles, small handles. When it's my turn to make them it's a pain in the backside carrying them down the stairs, scolded fingers and then the lads moaning they only have half a cup!! Rant over!!

Use a tray you mug !   Why do you think god invented them !!

2 hours ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

A) learn to make a proper full cup

B) if someone moans then either drink their tea or better yet pour it on them and tell em to do one.

C) Wear gloves

D) Stop masterbating so much and your hands wont shake causing tea to spill

Edited by Jattdogg

21 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I contracted atrial fibrillation (af) 20 years ago, cause unknown.  I had a DC cardio version at that time and it put me back into sinus rhythm.  It was done under general anaesthetic so I can't give details but it wasn't invasive and I wasn't unconscious for too long.  I went home a few hours after waking.

It wasn't the end of the story though, I kept flipping in and out of af for a couple of years after the procedure, beta blockers finally sorted me out plus I've been on Tambocor (flecanide acetate) to prevent recurrence since then.  So you may need pills as well as a procedure but I'm still around 20 years after the event so they work.  These days I'm in sinus rhythm over 99% of the time with just the odd relapse.  

Strangely enough I found that coughing helped me get out of short bursts of af on some occasions.

I've seen the impact of a stroke and it's well worth avoiding.  My father had one, he spent a week in the Royal paralysed with tubes going in and out of him before he died.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

I contracted atrial fibrillation (af) 20 years ago, cause unknown.  I had a DC cardio version at that time and it put me back into sinus rhythm.  It was done under general anaesthetic so I can't give details but it wasn't invasive and I wasn't unconscious for too long.  I went home a few hours after waking.

It wasn't the end of the story though, I kept flipping in and out of af for a couple of years after the procedure, beta blockers finally sorted me out plus I've been on Tambocor (flecanide acetate) to prevent recurrence since then.  So you may need pills as well as a procedure but I'm still around 20 years after the event so they work.  These days I'm in sinus rhythm over 99% of the time with just the odd relapse.  

Strangely enough I found that coughing helped me get out of short bursts of af on some occasions.

I've seen the impact of a stroke and it's well worth avoiding.  My father had one, he spent a week in the Royal paralysed with tubes going in and out of him before he died.

Thanks for that, Crinkly - quite encouraging.

I've already been on beta blockers for several years. They've upped the dose to the max after this latest episode to try to encourage the ticker to self-correct (not worked yet but only 8 days in - self-corrected after 2-3 weeks first 2 times).

That's interesting about the effectiveness of the anti-arrhythmic, though. I was only on an anti-arrhythmic very briefly. Taking those regularly might be the way forward, whether it self-corrects or corrects via cardioversion - or even doesn't correct.

Certainly agree re. strokes. Sounds like your Dad's exit was similar to my Mum's. She was left semi-paralysed by a stroke, seemed set to partly recover but then had a 2nd fatal stroke 8 days later.

Desperately sad though that was, she was 80 and went quickly. I'd be more worried about what happened to my cousin. She had a stroke in her late 60s but lingered on in a desperate state for another 9-10 years.

I'm staying on the Warfarin to minimise the chances of stroke, anyway....no guarantees, but better odds, and nobody gets any guarantees, anyway, AF or not!

On 31/10/2017 at 15:51, glenny_fox said:

The price of going to the cinema.

Haven't been for quite a while, but went the other day to see Thor. Just for me and the missus, it cost around £35.00 just to get in and get a drink. ridiculous money.

what cinema was that?

I went to watch Bladerunner 2049 in glorious 3D in the Director's Lounge at Showcase with a 'free' popcorn and soft drink and it was like £17 a ticket.

If you paid £35 for standard tickets and a drink you got done. 

Edited by lifted*fox

5 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

what cinema was that?

I went to watch Bladerunner 2049 in glorious 3D in the Director's Lounge at Showcase with a 'free' popcorn and soft drink and it was like £17 a ticket.

If you paid £35 for standard tickets and a drink you got done. 

Yeah a family ticket at our local cineworld is £20, we buy ourselves and the kids popcorn and drinks etc and it just about hits £35 for four of us. Great value.

• Like 1

If you want to save extra money you can buy popcorn from a supermarket and sneak it into the cinema by pouring it out of the bag and into your pants. 

They'll never find it there but it does make it extra salty and you rustle a little as you walk. 

Don't do this with your drink though - it doesn't work. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

If you want to save extra money you can buy popcorn from a supermarket and sneak it into the cinema by pouring it out of the bag and into your pants. 

They'll never find it there but it does make it extra salty and you rustle a little as you walk. 

Don't do this with your drink though - it doesn't work. 

Ah the drink trick is empty it in a balloon and where it under your hat. Nobody will notice.