Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's my day off and one of my housemate has been at home all day watching the TV since 9 in the morning so I've been leaving her to it because she gets real weird when she watches shows, you can't say a word to her without her treating it like a gross attack on her leisure time.  Just now I got back from a shop run and found the living room gloriously empty for the first time today so I put on an episode of Always Sunny and within seconds she comes back down and starts loudly talking over everything and asking to put Blue Planet 2 on despite having had a conversation earlier where I told her I'd already seen it, she literally couldn't even handle 20 minutes of not having something she chose on the TV.  Unbelievably selfish.

Sorry dude but stories like that remind me that I dont missed shared living one bit. Served a purpose at a time mind....

On 11/2/2017 at 12:08, Wymeswold fox said:

This is my point regarding this subject.

I watch a television show yesterday comprising of Mother's with 9 and 6 children respectively, and that they complained that they "deserve more money and a bigger house" because they've decided to have more children - as if they don't have a care in the world about what others think about them about this but also fail to understand that there's people with less children that would love to have the extra benefits that these Mothers with 6/9 children have/want more of and are struggling as well.

There is an entirely separate debate and thread to be had about people with large amounts of children. At what point does a non working single mother with many children not only become an unnecessary drain on the benefits system, but it's grossly unfair on the children in question, too. Inevitably, the older kids will become surrogate parents for the younger kids, and that is a responsibility they shouldn't have to face in their youth.

The introduction of Universal Credit is going to put a stop to this. I think it's every child you have more than two (might be three) kids will no longer be counted when benefits claims are made. It'll make time horrifically tough for those beginning their life as a baby machine (not existing, only counts to kids born after the date of introduction) but might also install some discipline in them.

Might also deprive babies of things they actually need to have a half decent chance of thriving. You're punishing babies at the end of the day. Seems a bit inhumane to actively support punishing babies in order to save a negligible amount of public money (which is always spent by the recipients anyway so isn't actually lost), especially when there are so many businesses, wealthy individuals, tradesman and so on evading tax at every opportunity. I know Tories like soft targets but come on, babies?

Edited by Rogstanley

Follow up to my previous comment:  She's actually gone ahead and put herself on the rota before me.  Winning. :D

6 hours ago, Nalis said:

Sorry dude but stories like that remind me that I dont missed shared living one bit. Served a purpose at a time mind....

Yeah it's hell at times but honestly even if I could afford a place of my own I think I'd lose my mind even more.

Finally a proper gear grinder:  Going to your car after a long day at work and finding it in urgent need of a trip to Kwik Fit for the flat tyre then when that's getting fixed being told by the mechanic that the other front tyre is dangerously low on tread and also needs replacing.  And I was planning on swinging by the bank to cash my tax rebate today but now I've already spent it four times over.  End of the month's going to be rough.

3 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Seems a bit inhumane to actively support punishing babies in order to save a negligible amount of public money (which is always spent by the recipients anyway so isn't actually lost), especially when there are so many businesses, wealthy individuals, tradesman and so on evading tax at every opportunity. I know Tories like soft targets but come on, babies?

It's all we think about. 

Some people disguise the thoughts by saying things like we need to get a grip of government borrowing or saying its sensible to try and not load debt onto the next few generations but what we really are thinking is how can we attack the babies. 

3 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Might also deprive babies of things they actually need to have a half decent chance of thriving. You're punishing babies at the end of the day. Seems a bit inhumane to actively support punishing babies in order to save a negligible amount of public money (which is always spent by the recipients anyway so isn't actually lost), especially when there are so many businesses, wealthy individuals, tradesman and so on evading tax at every opportunity. I know Tories like soft targets but come on, babies?

'Kinell really? It's not about punishing babies jesus christ. 

The state makes a significant contribution to most children and I have no doubt there are a lot of people who have a couple of kids, get what they are entitled to and get by ok because child benefit exists, which is fine. But there comes a point where people have to take responsibility for their actions. You can't just keep having children you can't afford because you know the state will foot the bill for them all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

'Kinell really? It's not about punishing babies jesus christ. 

The state makes a significant contribution to most children and I have no doubt there are a lot of people who have a couple of kids, get what they are entitled to and get by ok because child benefit exists, which is fine. But there comes a point where people have to take responsibility for their actions. You can't just keep having children you can't afford because you know the state will foot the bill for them all. 

I don't think piling up the kids is really a profit spinner and even if you could make a few quid out of them I doubt many people actually do in reality. How are you going to prevent people who can't afford children from having them? Means tested sex? It's not possible Gary. People make bad decisions and having kids they aren't ready for is a common one. Once the kid is born the state can't just not help out where it's needed, that would be awful for the child.

24 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I don't think piling up the kids is really a profit spinner and even if you could make a few quid out of them I doubt many people actually do in reality. How are you going to prevent people who can't afford children from having them? Means tested sex? It's not possible Gary. People make bad decisions and having kids they aren't ready for is a common one. Once the kid is born the state can't just not help out where it's needed, that would be awful for the child.

I don't think it's a profit spinner either and I'm not suggesting any form of regulation that literally stops people from having kids. I don't begrudge people having kids they can barely afford; I know a fair few who have.

People make bad decisions and accidents happen and that's fine, but I don't think we should fund having children ad infinitum.

Anyone having 6, 7, 8 + state funded kids is being selfish and putting a huge strain on the system. It's doing no-one any favours.

It's an arbitrary line I know but for me it's one that should be drawn somewhere. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 08:48, Crinklyfox said:

I was off the beta-blockers for many years but was put back on them after a period of continuous af lasting 11 days in 2015.  At that time I was also put on a relatively new drug called Rivaroxaban.  It is an alternative to Warfarin but you don't have to have the level regularly monitored by blood tests (which my mum had for several years).  Might be worth a look.

The 11 day af session was ended on a day when I did quite a bit more exercise than usual.  Not that I'm inactive but in af you'll appreciate that you're restricted as the heart isn't delivering blood around the body efficiently.  However on the day I flipped by into sinus rhythm I'd done quite a bit of walking up and down hills and in the evening I suddenly noticed that my heart had self-corrected.  I've had another significant (shorter) period of af since and I applied the extra exercise method and got back into sinus rhythm fairly quickly.  Just another possibility you might want to consider.

Looks like I owe you some more thanks....

48 hours ago I gave your exercise remedy a brief try and spent 30 minutes speed-walking up and down the steeper local hills. Got home and put on my blood pressure/heart rate monitor.....

Back in sinus rhythm (regular heart rhythm) after 9-10 days of atrial fibrillation/atypical atrial flutter! :D

Looks like I might have cheated the cardioversion team out of some work zapping a heart for the third time, though I'm sure they'll get me in there eventually.

Great news in itself but also gives me something that I can try whenever the ticker goes wrong again, before resorting to hospital treatment. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2017 at 13:34, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

MUGS - different shapes some parallel some tapered, different heights, large handles, small handles. When it's my turn to make them it's a pain in the backside carrying them down the stairs, scolded fingers and then the lads moaning they only have half a cup!! Rant over!!

Before anyone says "how about a tray" Don't you think I've enough to carry:D

Only just noticed your username now- I used to live in Bilsthorpe until three months ago.  Even lived opposite a Forest fan :nono:

On 02/11/2017 at 00:52, MattP said:

Have the same problem with Natwest, every time I use my card abroad the next transaction gets declined, I even take the number with me now.

Never had a problem with a domestic transaction though. 

You can log wherever you are going on your online banking account now.  I have not tried it out yet mind as I usually just take prepaid currency cards.  

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

Only just noticed your username now- I used to live in Bilsthorpe until three months ago.  Even lived opposite a Forest fan :nono:

Moved from Melton 8 years ago, live next door to one the last few years have been brilliant, don't need to say anything must be the smug look on my face when I see him :D

12 hours ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

Moved from Melton 8 years ago, live next door to one the last few years have been brilliant, don't need to say anything must be the smug look on my face when I see him :D

Hahaha- imagine if it turned out that we actually lived opposite of each other.  I lived on Kirklington Road- really liked Bilsthorpe and surrounding countryside.  

Edited by The Blur

2 minutes ago, separator said:

Supermarket christmas TV ads... FVCK OFF.

I passed a few houses this evening with Xmas lights and stuff in the garden.

It's November 8th you fvckin morons

• Like 2

Normally don't find (although rarely use the brand) shopping in Aldi a particularly comfortable experience.

The staff there often work their socks off and sometimes aren't available to deal with your query etc as they're fully-focussed on re-stocking the shelves etc. As if they're being judged on selling as much stock as possible etc, scanning as many customer-purchased products as quick as possible and it does sometimes feel like there that customers aren't of much importance compared to these responsibilities etc.

But at a supermarket like Marks and Spencer, for example, you'll very much notice a member of staff who is present to be the opposite of the above and are actually willing to leave their duties for a minute or so and deal effectively with the customer's needs/query.

Edited by Wymeswold fox