Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

20 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Normally don't find (although rarely use the brand) shopping in Aldi a particularly comfortable experience.

The staff there often work their socks off and sometimes aren't available to deal with your query etc as they're fully-focussed on re-stocking the shelves etc. As if they're being judged on selling as much stock as possible etc, scanning as many customer-purchased products as quick as possible and it does sometimes feel like there that customers aren't of much importance compared to these responsibilities etc.

But at a supermarket like Marks and Spencer, for example, you'll very much notice a member of staff who is present to be the opposite of the above and are actually willing to leave their duties for a minute or so and deal effectively with the customer's needs/query.

How many queries do you typically have when visiting a supermarket?

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

How many queries do you typically have when visiting a supermarket?

I'm thinking in general terms.

Every customer is different, some are willing to find the answers they want themselves whilst others will need to rely more on staff assistance; and for the latter, you'll certainly have some that will have sophisticated queries/questions about a product/s and fully expect a staff member present to answer it effectively.

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

I'm thinking in general terms.

Every customer is different, some are willing to find the answers they want themselves whilst others will need to rely more on staff assistance; and for the latter, you'll certainly have some that will have sophisticated queries/questions about a product/s and fully expect a staff member present to answer it effectively.

Quite right. Aldi is not the place for sophisticated product queries. It’s like Halfords or PC World, you don’t really expect the staff to have a clue, but with any luck you might bag a bargain.

29 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Normally don't find (although rarely use the brand) shopping in Aldi a particularly comfortable experience.

The staff there often work their socks off and sometimes aren't available to deal with your query etc as they're fully-focussed on re-stocking the shelves etc. As if they're being judged on selling as much stock as possible etc, scanning as many customer-purchased products as quick as possible and it does sometimes feel like there that customers aren't of much importance compared to these responsibilities etc.

But at a supermarket like Marks and Spencer, for example, you'll very much notice a member of staff who is present to be the opposite of the above and are actually willing to leave their duties for a minute or so and deal effectively with the customer's needs/query.

I've recently converted from Tesco to Aldi.

Last week I did the weekly shopping on my own and eventually got to the till with the conveyor belt full end to end of my stuff. When I'd parked my trolley by the till and opened the bags, the woman at the checkout said "Are you ready?" - like it was the start of a race..

She scanned at the speed of light and the food stacked up - I couldn't catch up. I looked at her and said "Do you mind slowing down a bit please?"

She replied "No sorry, we're timed"

I thought about saying something back but realized she's just doing her job and is under pressure. Eventually half the bags got packed and the rest just chucked on top as I left the store sweating and out of breath (still about £30 a week cheaper than Tesco's though so worth the grief I think)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Last week I did the weekly shopping on my own and eventually got to the till with the conveyor belt full end to end of my stuff. When I'd parked my trolley by the till and opened the bags, the woman at the checkout said "Are you ready?" - like it was the start of a race..

She scanned at the speed of light and the food stacked up - I couldn't catch up. I looked at her and said "Do you mind slowing down a bit please?"

I thought about saying something back but realized she's just doing her job and is under pressure. Eventually half the bags got packed and the rest just chucked on top as I left the store sweating and out of breath (still about £30 a week cheaper than Tesco's though so worth the grief I think)

You get used to it, you will be watching others soon and getting annoyed with them for not being prepared or quick enough. I can do a weeks shopping in 20 minutes, you couldn’t do that in Tesco if you had Dale Winton running round with you cheering you on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And yet I get cashiers doing weird sleight of hand stuff with my food, shifting it as i go to trolley it. Stop pissing around with my deli meats fer Christ's sake. 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I hate Aldi. 

I don't WANT to be a snob but I also don't want to buy my food in a place that always stinks of cheap disinfectant and awful BO. 

It's just not appealing. 

Must admit my Polish has improved dramatically since shopping there :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I hate Aldi. 

I don't WANT to be a snob but I also don't want to buy my food in a place that always stinks of cheap disinfectant and awful BO. 

It's just not appealing. 

It's alright for bits and bobs but could never imagine doing a big shop in there. Have you tried their ketchup? I've had infectious discharges that have tasted better.

10 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

It's alright for bits and bobs but could never imagine doing a big shop in there. Have you tried their ketchup? I've had infectious discharges that have tasted better.

Who the **** goes Aldi for ketchup. 

You go for cheap meat. That's it. The steaks are bang tidy and about half the price of Asda. 

24 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Who the **** goes Aldi for ketchup. 

You go for cheap meat. That's it. The steaks are bang tidy and about half the price of Asda. 

It's actually a myth that the meat in Aldi is drastically cheaper than Asda tbh. I'm not saying some stuff isn't a bit cheaper but the major savings in Aldi are if you buy their own brand imitation shit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I hate Aldi. 

It's just not appealing. 

Their shops do look bland, as well. I rate them, in terms of quality, as the same as the Co-Op - they think they're better than the rest, but are actually quite average.

Not bad money if you work for them, though.

The cashiers etc get paid around £10 hourly.

My Step-Sister was on their graduate scheme and was on £40k.. - which would have increased to £70k after 3 years' service.. - PLUS an Audi A4 (which I have to admit made me quite jealous at the time..) until she packed it in after just over a year, as she felt that they were pushing her too hard and she started to dread it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox