Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

17 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Its been three years, but still my favourite ridiculous poppy moment. I think it's the point that pushed me over the edge. I'll wear one, but the whole culture around it is ridiculous.

cookie-monster-poppy.jpg.268a5b75b1e8aa57631a6cabed554d33.jpg

😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That fvcking beer munch advert where it just keeps saying "beer munch". The trouble is it's not funny the first time, so by the time it's said it 8 times I no longer want to try your stupid product

I hadn't heard of this advert before. Googled it. I've now seen the advert. It's crass in it's objective (just repeat the name of the brand over and over, stick it in people's heads) yet I have absolutely no idea what beermunch is meant to be? It's food, yes, but.... what?

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I hadn't heard of this advert before. Googled it. I've now seen the advert. It's crass in it's objective (just repeat the name of the brand over and over, stick it in people's heads) yet I have absolutely no idea what beermunch is meant to be? It's food, yes, but.... what?

Snacks that are are supposedly designed to have with beer, because crisps and pork scratchings aren't trendy enough I guess. Stick some shit in a hipster-style box with fonts you'd expect to find on overpriced beard-care packaging, and idiots will buy it for a couple of months until the whole hipster thing dies out or people realise they can buy halloumi and chop it up themselves for a quarter of the price

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 10:54, bovril said:

Been there a few times. Excellent selection of craft beers available, and their wild garlic and mushroom risotto is to die for, honestly. The landlord is a smashing guy and even turned off the football last week because it was disturbing the board game enthusiasts who were having their monthly meeting in the lounge area. 

Very good indeed, tongue so firmly in your cheek it's come out the other side. 

Horrible pub with horrible right wing punters just up the road from me.  Does a good line in flag days and stabbings though... 

On 09/11/2019 at 11:03, MattP said:

Didn't know you were from around there.

I used to stay in Bristol a lot before Cheltenham and there was cracking pub in the centre called the White Lion near the cenotaph - the landlord was the best pub host I've ever had the company of.

This White Lion is still there and is still a decent boozer. Always full of characters who look like they've been propping up the bar for all eternity. Think it's a Wickwar Brewery pub these days who do some decent ales. 

Love Bristol, so many great bars.

Remember spending most of one of the days in the Crown (our excuse being the weather was awful), stayed on King Street and enjoyed the pubs there too, think there was a microbrewery that was basically a better but cheaper version of brewdog.

Must go back some day.

Glenfield Hospital & my ex-wife ground my gears yesterday.

I was going to post in the "How was your day?" thread, but that's full of people having a cheerful, successful time & I didn't want to be a wet blanket.....whereas this is the thread dedicated to moaning, isn't it? :D

Went to Glenfield yesterday for my heart op (routine but not without risk). Was in the right frame of mind: calm, focused and surprisingly relaxed.

Was in the hospital gown and humiliating paper shorts, body hair shaved, cannula in arm, tests done, forms signed, doctor comes and says they'll fetch me in 10 minutes and then.....

Nothing for about an hour and a half. Then the doctor returns with "bad news, I'm afraid". Hard drive for operating machinery had crashed so op was cancelled.

Then a nurse came to remove the cannula for me to go home, not checking whether I was on blood thinners despite it being in my notes & it being a cardio ward where lots of patients would be.

A large pool of blood quickly appeared in the crook of my elbow, dripping all over my gown. The nurse seemed to freeze and just stare for a few seconds at this growing pool - until a senior nurse passing by told her to apply pressure.

"I'm sorry, I'm quite new and I've never seen so much blood", the nurse said. I actually thought she might faint - and felt like telling her that, interesting though the pool was, I preferred my blood inside my body. lol

Got back and told my ex about my changed availability for the week....and she launched into several minutes of self-pitying whining about what a difficult morning she'd had with our daughter.

Er, this is my ex-wife, who tried to rip me off financially when we split, I've just had a deflating, depressing experience over something obviously serious.... and she's moaning to me, expecting sympathy? :blink:

Bit my tongue for a few minutes, then bit her head off, I'm afraid (metaphorically).

Apparently the hospital gets a big fine if they cancel an operation at the last minute, unless they rearrange it within 30 days....so hopefully shouldn't be too long to wait for a new date.

Mind you, next time I'll be going in with the knowledge that their operating equipment might break down any minute and that at least some nurses are incompetent or inadequately trained....  

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Glenfield Hospital & my ex-wife ground my gears yesterday.

I was going to post in the "How was your day?" thread, but that's full of people having a cheerful, successful time & I didn't want to be a wet blanket.....whereas this is the thread dedicated to moaning, isn't it? :D

Went to Glenfield yesterday for my heart op (routine but not without risk). Was in the right frame of mind: calm, focused and surprisingly relaxed.

Was in the hospital gown and humiliating paper shorts, body hair shaved, cannula in arm, tests done, forms signed, doctor comes and says they'll fetch me in 10 minutes and then.....

Nothing for about an hour and a half. Then the doctor returns with "bad news, I'm afraid". Hard drive for operating machinery had crashed so op was cancelled.

Then a nurse came to remove the cannula for me to go home, not checking whether I was on blood thinners despite it being in my notes & it being a cardio ward where lots of patients would be.

A large pool of blood quickly appeared in the crook of my elbow, dripping all over my gown. The nurse seemed to freeze and just stare for a few seconds at this growing pool - until a senior nurse passing by told her to apply pressure.

"I'm sorry, I'm quite new and I've never seen so much blood", the nurse said. I actually thought she might faint - and felt like telling her that, interesting though the pool was, I preferred my blood inside my body. lol

Got back and told my ex about my changed availability for the week....and she launched into several minutes of self-pitying whining about what a difficult morning she'd had with our daughter.

Er, this is my ex-wife, who tried to rip me off financially when we split, I've just had a deflating, depressing experience over something obviously serious.... and she's moaning to me, expecting sympathy? :blink:

Bit my tongue for a few minutes, then bit her head off, I'm afraid (metaphorically).

Apparently the hospital gets a big fine if they cancel an operation at the last minute, unless they rearrange it within 30 days....so hopefully shouldn't be too long to wait for a new date.

Mind you, next time I'll be going in with the knowledge that their operating equipment might break down any minute and that at least some nurses are incompetent or inadequately trained....  

oh dear, what a day.hopefully they sort that new appointment quicky and give you someone more competant in the ward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Love Bristol, so many great bars.

Remember spending most of one of the days in the Crown (our excuse being the weather was awful), stayed on King Street and enjoyed the pubs there too, think there was a microbrewery that was basically a better but cheaper version of brewdog.

Must go back some day.

Has a great craft ale scene. Ridiculous amount of really good small breweries / bars in the area. Spoilt for choice, the same as with the food scene which is ridiculously good from Michelin star level down to street food. 

Multiple streaming services right now (and by extension multiple suppliers of different TV content) having exclusivity on certain shows and events and therefore making a mockery of the idea of competition. They are a cartel and the consumer is getting shafted any which way.

And then they wonder why people are turning back to pirating content and dubious livestreams.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Multiple streaming services right now (and by extension multiple suppliers of different TV content) having exclusivity on certain shows and events and therefore making a mockery of the idea of competition. They are a cartel and the consumer is getting shafted any which way.

And then they wonder why people are turning back to pirating content and dubious livestreams.

https://thepiratebays3.com/ :)

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It’s just market forces though isn’t it? The highest bidder is bound to want exclusivity and it’s always been like that hasn’t it?

Technically, the consumer gets a better quality product as a result don’t they?

Not sure what you expect really Mac. How does a bidding process for rights make a ‘mockery’ of competition?

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It’s just market forces though isn’t it? The highest bidder is bound to want exclusivity and it’s always been like that hasn’t it?

Technically, the consumer gets a better quality product as a result don’t they?

Not sure what you expect really Mac. How does a bidding process for rights make a ‘mockery’ of competition?

....because the whole intention of proper business competition is to supply the lowest possible price to be attractive to the consumer.

Exclusivity means that one company can set a price they wish for a product, if a consumer wants to consume that particular product, they must instead pay what the company holding the rights demands, seek more dubious solutions, or not consume the product at all. Where's the positive for the consumer there - where is the competition which would mean a lower price for them?

Bidding wars for exclusivity aren't really competition beyond seeing which company gets which product and it all being divvyed up cartel-style. With one-use products like TV shows and sporting events, I'll admit it's tricky to have a competitive model - perhaps bids should be in the form of what they charge the consumer with the lowest winning, as opposed to the highest possible sum going to the producers (maybe a fixed sum on that score can be agreed upon by all companies before bidding starts)?

Right now the current model where a consumer has to buy three different streaming packages in order to just be able to watch all of Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Daredevil is taking the piss.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

TV channels getting their Christmas stuff on in mid-November. Peter Andre's Best Xmas Hits is bad enough on December 23rd, let alone November 12th.

Start all this on December 1st.

It's just as bad walking around the shops having to hear Xmas music seven weeks out.

Was in B&M at the weekend and Bing Crosby's White Christmas was blaring through the PA system. Made me want to turn around and walk out tbh

35 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's just as bad walking around the shops having to hear Xmas music seven weeks out.

Was in B&M at the weekend and Bing Crosby's White Christmas was blaring through the PA system. Made me want to turn around and walk out tbh

I used to bloody hate putting out Christmas stuff to Christmas music when I used to work at a Co-op. Nothing worse than November and having to listen to people scream at me for putting stuff out 

• Like 1