Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

29 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Sounds somewhat self-congratulatory to me. 

By wearing a poppy on a pin?

War is messy. War is a disease - it doesn't discriminate other than often consigning those less fortunate in life to the front line or punitively penalising those that are unable to escape its path. There are many misfits and miscreants that were caught up in the chaos of conflict and many noble souls too, either victims of circumstance who lost their lives in an inglorious way, or died as gallant heroes on the battlefield. 

You mean the last post on a Sunday morning? 

I would contend the opposite.

I think that you'll find that it does.

Without remembrance - there is no memory.

Cliché is inescapable - we all become unwitting parodies of ourselves. Definition is by nature...definitive, a subjective view of meaning and symbolism is not. 

This back & forth is getting increasingly pointless. It's clear you're not getting my point(s) as your answering specific paragraphs by simply restating your view clearly demonstrates.

And - try as I might - I couldn't quite shake any meaning out of that last bit, but let's leave it, eh?

As that great social and cultural commentator Terry Collier put it; 'Some fell on stony ground.'

2 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

This back & forth is getting increasingly pointless. It's clear you're not getting my point(s) as your answering specific paragraphs by simply restating your view clearly demonstrates.

And - try as I might - I couldn't quite shake any meaning out of that last bit, but let's leave it, eh?

As that great social and cultural commentator Terry Collier put it; 'Some fell on stony ground.'

I fully understand your point - to reiterate, that doesn't mean that I am compelled to agree with it. 

I am simply responding to your posts (which incidentally re-state your view) on a point by point basis. 

And as the great pragmatist Bob Ferris duly observed "In the chocolate box of life the top layer's already gone. And someone's pinched the orange creme from the bottom."

9 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Not sure what your point is here really, Trav..

The same way "regular" restaurants offer vegetarian or even vegan dishes in case of special wishes, the same principle should apply for vegetarian restaurants and a few selected meat-based offers.

Great idea, but I can see where the resistance is coming from. lol

It does make me laugh whenever the whole meat option at a vegetarian restaurant debate raises its head.  Tells you everything you need to know about a person's critical thinking skills and frankly should be used as a disqualifier for the right to vote.

It's like going into a boutique bike shop and complaining that they don't sell football boots because "I can get a football boots option at Sports Direct".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It does make me laugh whenever the whole meat option at a vegetarian restaurant debate raises its head.  Tells you everything you need to know about a person's critical thinking skills and frankly should be used as a disqualifier for the right to vote.

It's like going into a boutique bike shop and complaining that they don't sell football boots because "I can get a football boots option at Sports Direct".

Ridiculous isn't it? Imagine going to a vegetarian only restaurant and expecting to be served meat. One doesn't visit a curry house and get annoyed that they don't serve a roast dinner. 

I don't go to carvery's, KFC, steak houses etc as I know the veggie options will be limited to non-existent, not entirely sure why the reverse logic can't be used. Even the biggest fast food chain on earth only has a handful of veggie options, but I've managed to survive the past 5 years regardless.

Generally speaking veggie/vegan only places are in city centres with a myriad of alternatives around the corner. Failing that one could always eat something that doesn't have meat in for one solitary meal, surely! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Izzy said:

Slightly off on a tangent from the poppy debate, when did all this "Thank you for your service" stuff come in?

In my case it was because I was taking a piss in a pub next to a bloke who mentioned he'd just come back from Afghanistan and couldn't really think of what else to say. Wasn't really in a position to just shake his hand. Well I was physically close enough to, but...

4 hours ago, Line-X said:

I fully understand your point - to reiterate, that doesn't mean that I am compelled to agree with it. 

I am simply responding to your posts (which incidentally re-state your view) on a point by point basis. 

And as the great pragmatist Bob Ferris duly observed "In the chocolate box of life the top layer's already gone. And someone's pinched the orange creme from the bottom."

Kudos for the Ferris reference - 

on the whole an interesting discussion.

I'm not going over my position again, though but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Just to add to the poppy debate, saw these on FB earlier. Not sure what to make of them tbqh

ECDC3D04-7CC8-4001-8C03-77E2785B6DF5.jpeg

Last seen sticking to the floor in Spencers while the wearer belts out Wonderwall on the karaoke at 10:58 on a Tuesday morning, four Stellas in. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Last seen sticking to the floor in Spencers while the wearer belts out Wonderwall on the karaoke at 10:58 on a Tuesday morning, four Stellas in. 

I actually own a pair of these lol I’d sooner be caught dead than ruin them with all that nonsense 

6 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I actually own a pair of these lol I’d sooner be caught dead than ruin them with all that nonsense 

To be clear, do you mean you own a red suede pair of Adidas trainers that you wouldn't be caught dead putting lest we forget on. 

Or. 

You own a pair of lest we forget Adidas trainers but you wouldn't be caught dead in Spencers doing karaoke. 

Cos tbf if it's B. then I'm not sure you're in any position to be snobbish about inner city dive bars. 

• Haha 2

If people choose to wear a poppy or not wear a poppy that is a matter for them alone.

There should not be criticism from either side to the other.

If people choose to be vegan or not be vegan that is a matter for them alone.

Live and let live!

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Fair play for admitting you own a pair of red and black trainers as a fully grown adult. Top marks.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

To be clear, do you mean you own a red suede pair of Adidas trainers that you wouldn't be caught dead putting lest we forget on. 

Or. 

You own a pair of lest we forget Adidas trainers but you wouldn't be caught dead in Spencers doing karaoke. 

Cos tbf if it's B. then I'm not sure you're in any position to be snobbish about inner city dive bars. 

I exclusively drink in hipster bars only bro I dunno what you’re on about 

• Haha 1

You have got to be a special kind of cnut to wear a white poppy mind.

The ultimate act of virtue signalling, jump into another campaign and hijack it saying "I'm better than you" - you show your respect whilst I show everyone I'm completely anti-war and only want peace.

Different to all those red poppy wearers who are just gagging for more war of course.

Edited by MattP

25 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

There’s your answer ...   chill ...   there’s more important things to grind your gears about ..   :)

Yeah - like trying to get a builder/roofer to replace a skylight...

2 have said they’ll come and quote, but have now disappeared. One came round two weeks ago, said he’d get back to us and has now also disappeared and one said he’d come round at 4 yesterday afternoon. I’m still waiting. 

I assume that dicking people about is part of their qualification criteria. 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Yeah - like trying to get a builder/roofer to replace a skylight...

2 have said they’ll come and quote, but have now disappeared. One came round two weeks ago, said he’d get back to us and has now also disappeared and one said he’d come round at 4 yesterday afternoon. I’m still waiting. 

I assume that dicking people about is part of their qualification criteria. 

Got mine sorted a while back ..   I’ll send you some details when I sober up ...  :thumbup:

Probably tomorrow ...   :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If people choose to wear a poppy or not wear a poppy that is a matter for them alone.

If people choose to be vegan or not be vegan that is a matter for them alone.

Live and let live!

Claude Puel was a ****ing brilliant manager for Leicester City

• Haha 1