Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

21 minutes ago, Beliall said:

its just a bottle of coke or orange juice, in the queue, while im waiting to pay, no one cares. drink some, stick it on the conveyor. 

Doesn't mean it's technically not legal.

I'm not arguing against people doing it per se, just that they are factually committing an offense - they can't complain if they're being caught, fined or reprimanded.

You've used a service before paying for it - and technically, that's against most store policies. It is theft, as the content "has left the store". :ph34r:

In the end, it depends on the leniency of the store, its manager or cashier in question.

30 minutes ago, Beliall said:

its just a bottle of coke or orange juice, in the queue, while im waiting to pay, no one cares. drink some, stick it on the conveyor. 

Exactly. Not sure why you'd have to hide at any time in the shop lol

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

It's 2019 so obviously it's time for a poppy moan.

• Poppies on lampposts, and those from neighbouring villages moaning because there are no poppies on their lampposts
  • Every football club needing to do a minute's silence, no matter how far away from Remembrance Sunday it is.
  • The forced poppy wearing on TV is an old one, so won't go into that. Safe to say it gets earlier and earlier

I guess this year's gripe really is the lamppost one. More and more Parish Council's plundering hundreds/thousands of pounds into putting plastic, non-recyclable poppies on every lamppost they can find in their area. Why? Why do we need to have these on show, it just feeds the weird outrage when those from neighbouring areas don't have them.

I'm only 30. Tell me, how disrespectful was everyone 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago over this period? You know, when there were no poppies on football shirts, optional choice on TV, no minute's silence at football grounds. Why has the fervour increased so rapidly over the last decade to the point everyone seems to want to "our remember" each other? It's almost embarrassing.

Well the football thing is Leicesters fault. We started years back against Blackburn with the poppy on the shirt thing, and it grew from there. Must have been 2003.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Well the football thing is Leicesters fault. We started years back against Blackburn with the poppy on the shirt thing, and it grew from there. Must have been 2003.

It was! Think Blackburn at home was the debut of them. I remember as a kid when we were lauded for how much of a good idea it was, and how we were the leaders. Imagine if a team announced they weren't going to do them now, though...

Just now, Footballwipe said:

It was! Think Blackburn at home was the debut of them. I remember as a kid when we were lauded for how much of a good idea it was, and how we were the leaders. Imagine if a team announced they weren't going to do them now, though...

It's a nice idea to auction the shirts for charity but it's grown into a huge event now, spread over two weekends, soldiers at each game, us bringing the ball in by helicopter was another gimmick. It's just got silly and got away from what it was originally, a show of respect and a bit of money for charity.

3 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

• Poppies on lampposts, and those from neighbouring villages moaning because there are no poppies on their lampposts
  • Every football club needing to do a minute's silence, no matter how far away from Remembrance Sunday it is.
  • The forced poppy wearing on TV is an old one, so won't go into that. Safe to say it gets earlier and earlier

I guess this year's gripe really is the lamppost one. More and more Parish Council's plundering hundreds/thousands of pounds into putting plastic, non-recyclable poppies on every lamppost they can find in their area. Why? Why do we need to have these on show, it just feeds the weird outrage when those from neighbouring areas don't have them.

I'm only 30. Tell me, how disrespectful was everyone 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago over this period? You know, when there were no poppies on football shirts, optional choice on TV, no minute's silence at football grounds. Why has the fervour increased so rapidly over the last decade to the point everyone seems to want to "our remember" each other? It's almost embarrassing.

I say this most years, but there was a time not that long ago - in between the two Gulf wars, which may or may not be a coincidence, when it was really low profile - to the point where some years I actually wanted to buy a poppy but couldn't find a poppy seller anywhere

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's a nice idea to auction the shirts for charity but it's grown into a huge event now, spread over two weekends, soldiers at each game, us bringing the ball in by helicopter was another gimmick. It's just got silly and got away from what it was originally, a show of respect and a bit of money for charity.

We’ll never see the helicopter bring the ball again now will we.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Saw somebody losing their proverbial on Twitter because Kevin Maguire wasn't wearing a poppy on tv on the 3rd November. It's slowly being appropriated in the same way that the Union Jack and St George's cross have been.

I can't remember the last time I wore a poppy so I'm probably a terrible person who is ungrateful for my ancestors and want to see Britain burn, I have campaigned against war, an advocate of free speech and given money to war related charities over the year but I don't think that actually counts for anything in the long run. 

I did quite enjoy the replies to Omid Jalili's tweet about this picture too, with some people sticking up for the gentleman in question by pointing out that the swastika was of course a symbol of peace. That is definitely why this chap got it tattooed on his neck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Saw somebody losing their proverbial on Twitter because Kevin Maguire wasn't wearing a poppy on tv on the 3rd November. It's slowly being appropriated in the same way that the Union Jack and St George's cross have been.

Seriously? I just can't see that at all. At work today I saw people of every age, colour and religion wearing poppies - the idea this is being appropriated in the same way the Union Flag was by groups like the NF etc is crazy to me. Personally I like the solemn respect the wearing of the poppy shows, I can see why some people see it as overkill though and I don't want to to see twats like that guy at the KP a couple of years ago who was covered head to toe in them making it about themselves rather than those who is metn to show respect towards.

People moaning about the poppy are becoming more tedious and annoying as those who moan about people not wearing it though now.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Seriously? I just can't see that at all. At work today I saw people of every age, colour and religion wearing poppies - the idea this is being appropriated in the same way the Union Flag was by groups like the NF etc is crazy to me. Personally I like the solemn respect the wearing of the poppy shows, I can see why some people see it as overkill though and I don't want to to see twats like that guy at the KP a couple of years ago who was covered head to toe in them making it about themselves rather than those who is metn to show respect towards.

People moaning about the poppy are becoming more tedious and annoying as those who moan about people not wearing it though now.

The true reasoning behind it is still fantastic and, providing of course that the funds reach the appropriate destinations, the money raised through it must be incredible. It just seems to get bigger and earlier each year and not always for the right reasons. 

As I mentioned, if anybody pops up on TV, particularly on BBC, not wearing a poppy even on the 1st November you will see some loon on Twitter calling them everything under the sun and said tweet will generate upwards of 500 odd likes and comments from some cretins. The same sort of people who are proud that we beat the Nazis but share more in common with the Axis than the Allies and share made up articles about X Muslim being offended by a kids television programme that features a pig etc. I feel for those who wear the poppy as a badge of honour for the fallen who have their genuine respect stolen by these God awful people. Not to mention said gentleman who wore that bloody poppy suit. 

There is something dignified and respectful about a regular sized poppy on your outfit, but the ones tied to lampposts and the like just look a little over the top, for me. 

As you say, it's a little toxic on both sides (much like numerous topics). I don't particularly like the people who make a real point of not wearing a poppy either, I used to be friends with someone who wore a white poppy and I had to listen to the same speech every year about why she did and why it was 'better' than the red. This same woman once called me a hipster for mentioning a French film when she was a polyamarous, bisexual (though never actually expressed any interest in women), selective vegetarian, and neither her nor her boyfriend owned a car for environmental reasons but traveled around the world on numerous occasions

I appreciate that last part isn't relevant, but man she annoyed me. 

• Like 3

The above photo makes me wonder if there are any laws governing what can and cannot be put on tattoos. What ground my gears today was the sight of huge pile of household junk that had been fly-tipped at the side of, and partially on, a narrow country lane going from South Croxton towards Syston. The rubbish was right in front of a 'No tipping' sign. What sort of pond life does this sort of thing?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

By and large people only ever seem to moan about it in reaction to the accusations and criticisms they receive though. Think I've told the story on here before about how we played Stoke away a couple of years ago on 4 November (if I recall correctly), and I was questioned in a pub by a Stoke fan (who was a serving soldier and who I'd actually thanked for his service to the country!) why I wasn't wearing one. To be honest, as someone who was brought up understand the symbolism of the Poppy, as the vast majority of us were no doubt, I was really taken aback and it's sadly made me question its relevance since.

I've not let it put me off wearing one every year (on dates of my choosing of course) because I often think about what my ancestors had to go through and the sacrifices they and their comrades made, but it's really left me disheartened about how people view the symbol now. My mate who's currently in the RAF actually never wears one because he doesn't agree with how it's been hijacked by certain sections. I mean, check out the nerve on that UVF nobhead on here trying to flog LCFC-themed Poppy flags the other week. It's sickening.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

On 02/11/2019 at 22:41, Tuna said:

The ****ing Deliveroo advert.

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I hate her so, so, so much. 

Honestly the most annoying voice in a current advert. Makes me wildly, disproportionately angry. 

3 hours ago, Langston said:

Fully agree with the Deliveroo advert shouts. 

Sticking a jaunty northern woman on an ad and having her being cheeky seems to be a trend a few seem to be following recently. Banks bloody love it.

The worst thing on the tv at the minute. 

‘No carbs before marbs eh Karen!’

2B9372F1-A4A2-4198-B8B0-7A65A8CB54B1.gif

• Thanks 1

People staring at their phones whilst they're walking around - seen so many near misses with people stepping off the pavement glued to their phones.

And the amount of people who basically walk right in to you is untrue. Bunch of totally unaware zombies.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

"a new tv show I've developed" that looks incredibly like the same format as the one Amazon has done with Man City and various other teams. 

Because I'm a petty individual, I still hold a grudge against him for this Tweet years ago:-

https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/170916647211761665

I get that it's probably a little tongue in cheek, but Norwich! I'm happy for Newcastle, Leeds, Forest or even Sheffield Wednesday to play the 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad' b*llocks, but Norwich? No dice. 

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Because I'm a petty individual, I still hold a grudge against him for this Tweet years ago:-

https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/170916647211761665

I get that it's probably a little tongue in cheek, but Norwich! I'm happy for Newcastle, Leeds, Forest or even Sheffield Wednesday to play the 'my Dad's bigger than your Dad' b*llocks, but Norwich? No dice. 

God I've never seen that and now I'm annoyed at it. Small club pfft, even in 2012 we weren't a small club, just a normal sized club.  

• Like 1