Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

6 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Yep. Although I vaguely knew about the Post Office IT scandal this programme has been a real eye-opener about how the PO and Fujitsu covered up their crap IT system and threw 100s of sub postmasters under the bus. 

If you lie in court and people go to jail as a result, surely that is at the very least perverting the course of justice, and you should go to jail.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

Personally, can't help but feel people in normal cars who drive through flood waters need to accept a little bit of responsibility for their action.

Absolutely.  They also need to respect people who are prepared for such eventualities and sensibly bought a 4X4 and scoured social media for a flood to drive through to demonstrate their prowess!

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Absolutely.  They also need to respect people who are prepared for such eventualities and sensibly bought a 4X4 and scoured social media for a flood to drive through to demonstrate their prowess!

I don’t need their respect - I demand their fielty 

14 hours ago, Daggers said:

Personally, can't help but feel people in normal cars who drive through flood waters need to accept a little bit of responsibility for their action.

Imagine if common sense came for free. 

12 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

The general point he's making is right but of course no one is going to listen because it's Joey Barton and it's predictably got out of hand, but at least he gave it a go, who else is going to? Eni Aluko is an absolute waste of time, have no option but to mute whenever she appears as she did last night. I find Lucy Ward painful on commentary also. But there are good women presenters, Laura Woods and Emma Paton especially, it's the box ticking that people don't like. The best qualified pundits for the job should get the job.

Agreed on your thoughts on all 4 you mention. Its a shame the decent female pundits and hosts are bundled with the shite like Aluko and Lucy Ward. In the same breath, I am aware Gareth Crooks still has a job in football punditry and is probably worse than everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

And Andy Townsend's Tactics Truck.

That was simply a beautful piece ahead of its time, both man and vehicle. Like having electric car in 2001.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Agreed on your thoughts on all 4 you mention. Its a shame the decent female pundits and hosts are bundled with the shite like Aluko and Lucy Ward. In the same breath, I am aware Gareth Crooks still has a job in football punditry and is probably worse than everyone.

A shame, but really surprising?

I don't think so.

Barton is for the most part 100% correct

The two sports are completely different.

You wouldn’t want me analysing Rory McIlroy’s golf swing on his 16th tee shot slice at The Masters. Why? Because I’m crap at golf.

Unfortunately Joey Barton doesn’t have a reputation to tarnish. There will be many many more closet fans of his who are pundits though. 

This whole thing reminds me of Brexit. Celebrities coming out in support of ‘Remain’ after the result- not because they necessarily believed it, but because it was the popular way to publicly be- anyone who’d come out and say they’d voted Leave would have their reputation tarnished. Not a good PR move. It’s exactly the same here.

• Like 1

Some women pundits and commentators are good, some are appalling. The and the same with male commentators and pundits. The half time thoughts of Joe Cole, really?! That's not going to fill 15 minutes, is it!

Being good should get you the job. Sadly, it often doesn't. That's how Barton gets jobs. 

Edited by FoyleFox

People like Barton talk about women's football being different so they shouldn't speak on the men's game, but people will happily listen to male journalists talk about the game, or other sports, and they never played professionally. Nobody bats an eyelid when Sky get Butch Harman on talking about the golf despite his actual playing career being very short and unsuccessful.

How far are we going to drill down on this not seeing pundits as qualified? Sky's main two pundits are Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, both defenders for successful teams. Why should I have to listen to them talk about the art of scoring a goal, or saving a shot, or even a relegation battle as they've never been in one? 

Got no problem with female pundits, can we just get rid of any awful pundits both male and female as there are plenty.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I don’t think that is the point though. He’s going after those women because he’s a horrible sexist pig and those who support him are also horrible sexist pigs. Aluko and Ward maybe terrible but so are Agbonlahor, Jenas, Savage etc etc, he’s highlighting the women because he hates women.

Nah, apparently we've "solved" sexism in the media in this country and so Barton was clearly referring to those two women alike and not women in the profession in general.

Apparently.

(Pardon the barrage of sarcasm on this particular matter but I find it utterly ludicrous that someone can look at what has happened here and not see the man has a bias against women being involved in "his sport".)

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

If you complain about “box ticking” then you aren’t that far removed from Barton or his ilk. Do you also get narked by the sight of blended families on adverts? Does the sound of the lesbian couple on The Archers being happy increase your blood pressure? Do you not like having things ‘forced down your throat’?

We have a proud history of shite ITV sports commentary and long may it continue. If you’re focussing on the colour or sex of the commentator because of “box ticking” then, sorry to break it to you,  you’re a bit of a bigot.

No I do not, and if that's what I am so be it. It's not ITV that's the problem here this has been buiding for a few years across all channels.

Everyone is different, you're different and very aggressive poster, at times funny but also offensive. You don't care who you offend, and neither do I here however I don't think it should offend given its just an opinion but this is where we're at. Not everyone is going to think the same and agree with how things are being forced these days, it seems I'm on of those and I'm fine with that. If you want to do the whole holier-than-thou thing then good for you 👍 

• Like 2

Seems to me these days that if you don’t follow the same train of thought as the supposed populist opinion then you’re a racist, sexist, bigot, Neanderthal- whichever slur people want to throw at you.

Using those slurs because someone is of a different opinion to you doesn’t undermine the person with that opinion. It undermines the person throwing around those slurs, and highlights their inability to accept other viewpoints. Who are the Neanderthals again?

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

No I do not, and if that's what I am so be it. It's not ITV that's the problem here this has been buiding for a few years across all channels.

Everyone is different, you're different and very aggressive poster, at times funny but also offensive. You don't care who you offend, and neither do I here however I don't think it should offend given its just an opinion but this is where we're at. Not everyone is going to think the same and agree with how things are being forced these days, it seems I'm on of those and I'm fine with that. If you want to do the whole holier-than-thou thing then good for you 👍 

15 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Seems to me these days that if you don’t follow the same train of thought as the supposed populist opinion then you’re a racist, sexist, bigot, Neanderthal- whichever slur people want to throw at you.

Using those slurs because someone is of a different opinion to you doesn’t undermine the person with that opinion. It undermines the person throwing around those slurs, and highlights their inability to accept other viewpoints. Who are the Neanderthals again?

And free exchange of opinion on matters like this should be encouraged - someone should be able to give the opinion Barton is a bigoted tw@t, someone should the likewise be able to call that person an arsehole for thinking Barton is a bigoted tw@t in the first place, because that Tweet isn't conclusive and can be viewed subjectively. No harm, no foul.

The problem is (and this is something that is happening more and more these days) is people using the same arguments when it comes to matters of established fact. And it's so easy for one to bleed over into the other given the huge amount of digital platforms that exist today.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

People like Barton talk about women's football being different so they shouldn't speak on the men's game, but people will happily listen to male journalists talk about the game, or other sports, and they never played professionally. Nobody bats an eyelid when Sky get Butch Harman on talking about the golf despite his actual playing career being very short and unsuccessful.

How far are we going to drill down on this not seeing pundits as qualified? Sky's main two pundits are Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, both defenders for successful teams. Why should I have to listen to them talk about the art of scoring a goal, or saving a shot, or even a relegation battle as they've never been in one? 

Got no problem with female pundits, can we just get rid of any awful pundits both male and female as there are plenty.

Wouldn’t think about it too much, joey Barton has presumably huge financial troubles given his past life and his advisors have given him a few arrows to sling, of which one may hit the target. This one has hit the target. It will ensure he gets appearance slots on many wild right wing media outlets and presumably a book too.