Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

21 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Seems to me these days that if you don’t follow the same train of thought as the supposed populist opinion then you’re a racist, sexist, bigot, Neanderthal- whichever slur people want to throw at you.

Using those slurs because someone is of a different opinion to you doesn’t undermine the person with that opinion. It undermines the person throwing around those slurs, and highlights their inability to accept other viewpoints. Who are the Neanderthals again?

On the flipside, the people that are racist, bigots etc. are mostly the ones getting offended here because they're ignorant and don't even perceive or want to admit their own flaws.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Daggers said:

And there we have it. 

Pre-Brexit, people like you had the good grace to know that you were anachronistic dinosaurs with foul opinions but had the good grace to STFU about it in public. Now you all believe you can go all weird Uncle Brian at a family dinner where and whenever you like in the name of “free speech” and “it’s my opinion”.

Thank fvck for the block function for whenever these pinheads out themselves so I don’t have to read their gash views again.

tHesE dAyS

• Haha 1

On 05/01/2024 at 23:23, FoyleFox said:

Some women pundits and commentators are good, some are appalling. The and the same with male commentators and pundits. The half time thoughts of Joe Cole, really?! That's not going to fill 15 minutes, is it!

Being good should get you the job. Sadly, it often doesn't. That's how Barton gets jobs. 

In the same breath, there are a lot of male pundits/commentators who are appalling. 

The men’s and women’s game are different, even though it’s exactly the same concept.

The technicality, the physicality in the men’s game is certainly at a level way ahead of the women’s. There are some fantastic female broadcasters, and I think generally the better ones are those that have seemingly worked their way up, rather than just been put there to “tick boxes”. 

If you were a seasoned pro at the top of your game, would you be able to take the criticism from someone who hasn’t played at that level? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bert said:

In the same breath, there are a lot of male pundits/commentators who are appalling. 

The men’s and women’s game are different, even though it’s exactly the same concept.

The technicality, the physicality in the men’s game is certainly at a level way ahead of the women’s. There are some fantastic female broadcasters, and I think generally the better ones are those that have seemingly worked their way up, rather than just been put there to “tick boxes”. 

If you were a seasoned pro at the top of your game, would you be able to take the criticism from someone who hasn’t played at that level? 

This is the case in virtually every sport as well. So it obviously irks some men more when it's football than e.g. figure skating or equestrian.

34 minutes ago, shen said:

This is the case in virtually every sport as well. So it obviously irks some men more when it's football than e.g. figure skating or equestrian.

Yes of course. But I think that’s down to the exposure of them sports and that football was originally seen as a working class game. You’d be hard pushed to find someone that takes part in equestrian have viewpoints similar, majority of them are rich upper class people/upbringings with a bit of respect. 

5 hours ago, Bert said:

Who criticises players the most? Fans.

41 minutes ago, shen said:

The scale is quite obviously different. Serena Williams can confidently talk and live with men's tennis players, zara tindall with men's equestrian equivalents, figure skating has mixed events at major championships, surely it cannot be long before we see an F1 female driver. It's a disgrace that hasn't already happened with the trash on the grid in the past few years. Female WSL players are nowhere near PL players. Mens championship players are nowhere near PL players.

Barton is an idiot that should get a good slap soon, but arguments like this are so ill-thought out and ripe for Jeremy Clarkson types to jump on. The argument should be kept to 'Barton is an idiot' and that's it.

On 07/01/2024 at 01:17, Bryn said:

People like Year of the Fox and Jon the Hat are dying out. They know it, that's why they're causing as much trouble as they can before they go.

I'm not sure what I've done to be in this post, but I hope to live for another 4 decades at least!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

The scale is quite obviously different. Serena Williams can confidently talk and live with men's tennis players, zara tindall with men's equestrian equivalents, figure skating has mixed events at major championships, surely it cannot be long before we see an F1 female driver. It's a disgrace that hasn't already happened with the trash on the grid in the past few years. Female WSL players are nowhere near PL players. Mens championship players are nowhere near PL players.

Barton is an idiot that should get a good slap soon, but arguments like this are so ill-thought out and ripe for Jeremy Clarkson types to jump on. The argument should be kept to 'Barton is an idiot' and that's it.

I think the point with commentary is that the idea you need to have played the game at a high level to be able to talk about it is patently crap, so the idea that a female footballer cannot talk about the mens game is by definition patently crap and comes from misogyny.  

F1 is an interesting point, I have a friend who trains racing drivers, and the physical demands are unbelievable.  I am not saying that is the only reason why there has not been a female F1 driver, but it may be a factor just as much as in football at elite levels.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bert said:

Yep, but not live on TV with millions of viewers. 

The great thing about such exposure is that when those with it turn out to be complete knobs, everyone can see it, and those who defend then also have the chance to be seen.

I come back to my original point. 

If you understand the game and have an ounce of charisma, it’ll be be more interesting to listen to than someone waffle on. 

If you have ever listened to a Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger etc speak when they’re providing analysis, it’s far more insightful than the likes of Joe Cole, Robbie Savage or Clinton Morrison. 

Sky Sports is largely to blame for this, as they generated an ethos where we needed an hour pre game, then 30 minutes post game, discussing it. Once you factor in that they are covering maybe ten matches over a weekend, the quality is going to get diluted. This is why we’ve ended up with the grumpy and funny pairing of Keane and Richards. Is it insightful viewing; not really; is it funny; it can be. 

Every show needs an anchor and that person doesn’t need to know sport that week, but be charismatic and entice questioning etc (Laura Woods, Gary Lineker).

This however isn’t about men vs women, or ticking a box, it should be about raising the overall quality of sports insight. All TV companies have potentially got to improve and potentially invest in educating whoever they bring in. The challenge for them is they’re just subcontractors in reality, so why would they bother. 

21 hours ago, Bert said:

Couldn't agree more with this post. I don't get his tirade against female pundits when we have the likes of Clinton Morrison commenting on the game. There are a lot of poor male pundits, why not attack them too.. is Clinton Morrison entitled to critique someone of the ilk as say Haaland? The technicality and level of such a player is far beyond some pundits (like Morrison).

If people are going to berate female pundits, there's a few male ones you can have a dig at too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm not sure what I've done to be in this post, but I hope to live for another 4 decades at least!

Yeah to be fair I don't agree with a lot of your posts on here but I'd hardly call them backwards or bigoted, just a bit more right-wing than the common consensus on here? 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Gotta feel for the families here. The system has shafted them. Deliberately befuddled by the CPS legal process into tolerating a.manslaughter charge, he effectively gets let off under the grounds of insanity.

Yet was pretty.much proved in court he recognised the gravity if what he was doing and aware of the consequences. I'd suggest pretty much anyone who commits murder is under some cloud of temporary insanity - crimes of passion etc. So how comes he gets a free ride? No parole board, no minimum term. No longer under the judicial system, but health. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Gotta feel for the families here. The system has shafted them. Deliberately befuddled by the CPS legal process into tolerating a.manslaughter charge, he effectively gets let off under the grounds of insanity.

Yet was pretty.much proved in court he recognised the gravity if what he was doing and aware of the consequences. I'd suggest pretty much anyone who commits murder is under some cloud of temporary insanity - crimes of passion etc. So how comes he gets a free ride? No parole board, no minimum term. No longer under the judicial system, but health. 

It’s an absolute tragedy for the families but this man is a schizophrenic who will likely spend the rest of his life 

in a secure mental institution. To suggest than anyone who has committed murder must be suffering from a 

mental health illness is wrong.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

It’s an absolute tragedy for the families but this man is a schizophrenic who will likely spend the rest of his life 

in a secure mental institution. To suggest than anyone who has committed murder must be suffering from a 

mental health illness is wrong.

Doesn't wash for me. He knew what he was doing was wrong, no matter how many voices were in his head. Schizophrenia may have caused it, but doesn't excuse it. 

Can see why they're gutted as a murder sentence did seem appropriate.  At least he's going to spend the rest of his days in Ashfield which I can't imagine is much of a laugh.