Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What floats my boat.....

On 07/09/2018 at 17:00, Carl the Llama said:

Civilised creatures are cats, even if they will eat your corpse after you die.

8 out of 10 owners may say their cats prefer Whiskas, but 10 out of 10 cats say they prefer eating humans, with or without whiskers.

The discovery of King Richard III.

Was down at the King Richard III Visitor Centre yesterday and got almost tearful again about the miracle of his discovery. Anyone else get so affected or am I the only idiot who gets like that?

I think it's partly the connection of lives over time that gets me (us who are living now and this bloke from a very different era, 500+ years ago). I think it's also how different kinds of expertise were combined so painstakingly to produce such a miraculous outcome: analysis of historical docs about what happened to him at and after the battle; ancient plans of Leicester & the long-demolished Abbey where he was buried; precise archaelogical digs; carbon dating of remains to identify age & historical period; analysis of diet; analysis of injuries & comparison to contemporary accounts of the Battle of Bosworth; genealogy to locate 2 female-only-line descendants of his sister; DNA comparison between them and Tricky Dicky's skeleton.....astonishing achievement.

I like the element of luck involved, too. The skeleton could easily have been destroyed during subsequent renovations - rubble from a demolished wall fell just a few inches from his skull, but only his feet were lost during building work. Both the identified descendants of his sister are childless, so this might have been the last generation for which a DNA comparison could have been conducted. Plus, they found him in the first trench they dug - after 500+ years, they found him within a few hours of starting to dig. Life and humanity can be amazing at times.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Was down at the King Richard III Visitor Centre yesterday and got almost tearful again about the miracle of his discovery. Anyone else get so affected or am I the only idiot who gets like that?

Nope. I got very emotional the first time I went.

If ever I'm near I'll go into the Cathedral and just to look at the tomb. It's a pretty special thing the City had.

50 minutes ago, MattP said:

Nope. I got very emotional the first time I went.

If ever I'm near I'll go into the Cathedral and just to look at the tomb. It's a pretty special thing the City had.

Didn't go into the Cathedral yesterday but must go again. I think they did a great job with the tomb, too - a very elegant, classy design.

I'm so glad those tossers up in York didn't get their hands on his bones!

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I think it's partly the connection of lives over time that gets me (us who are living now and this bloke from a very different era, 500+ years ago). I think it's also how different kinds of expertise were combined so painstakingly to produce such a miraculous outcome: analysis of historical docs about what happened to him at and after the battle; ancient plans of Leicester & the long-demolished Abbey where he was buried; precise archaelogical digs; carbon dating of remains to identify age & historical period; analysis of diet; analysis of injuries & comparison to contemporary accounts of the Battle of Bosworth; genealogy to locate 2 female-only-line descendants of his sister; DNA comparison between them and Tricky Dicky's skeleton.....astonishing achievement.

I like the element of luck involved, too. The skeleton could easily have been destroyed during subsequent renovations - rubble from a demolished wall fell just a few inches from his skull, but only his feet were lost during building work. Both the identified descendants of his sister are childless, so this might have been the last generation for which a DNA comparison could have been conducted. Plus, they found him in the first trench they dug - after 500+ years, they found him within a few hours of starting to dig. Life and humanity can be amazing at times.

Especially when that spirit of king Dick paired with Rachel, got us that title.....I

And never forget,..if you had ever met "this bloke"...he'd have had your head,just to even dare have your political thoughts....

probably a relation,who unhorsed  him.....Alf!! You traitor..:englandsmile4wf:

Edited by fuchsntf

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Especially when that spirit of king Dick paired with Rachel, got us that title.....I

And never forget,..if you had ever met "this bloke"...he'd have had your head,just to even dare have your political thoughts....

probably a relation,who unhorsed  him.....Alf!! You traitor..:englandsmile4wf:

Extraordinary near-coincidence of two spectacular events in Leicester....

I think my family are in the clear for the 1485 assassination, though. Most of my ancestors would have been peasants digging turf in the west of Ireland (no spuds then, what would they have eaten?).

The one English family line that I know about were in the Royal Artillery at the time of Crimea (no idea about the Wars of the Roses) so I'll thank you to withdraw your dishonourable accusations, you cad! :D

Apparently most of Henry Tudor's army were Welsh, or French mercenaries, so maybe you need to look at Finnegan or FIF?

8 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Extraordinary near-coincidence of two spectacular events in Leicester....

I think my family are in the clear for the 1485 assassination, though. Most of my ancestors would have been peasants digging turf in the west of Ireland (no spuds then, what would they have eaten?).

The one English family line that I know about were in the Royal Artillery at the time of Crimea (no idea about the Wars of the Roses) so I'll thank you to withdraw your dishonourable accusations, you cad! :D

Apparently most of Henry Tudor's army were Welsh, or French mercenaries, so maybe you need to look at Finnegan or FIF?

Happy cad..me

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

The Wuntu app (get it if you're on Three). I just got a 6-pack of Anchor Steam beers for free just for popping into Majestic Wines.

I just got my daughter a SIM only deal with Three and they told me about this app. Apparently you can get free Dominos pizza and Costa coffee too.

If I drank beer and coffee and liked pizza I’d probably switch to Three :)