Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Does anyone use Open Office?

I'm having a problem with the Spellchecker - It's highlighting incorrect spellings but I'm not getting options to replace the word.

Edited by Buce

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Does anyone use Open Office?

I'm having a problem with the Spellchecker - It's highlighting incorrect spellings but I'm not getting options to replace the word.

Right click on the word.

Go to Language

Then 'English (U.K.)' should be default.

Or you can set Proofing Language. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Right click on the word.

Go to Language

Then 'English (U.K.)' should be default.

Or you can set Proofing Language. 

Thanks, Stan, that's working.

What is 'Proofing Language' and how do you set it?

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Hello everyone. Cheese here. I'd just like to inquire into the reason behind me being banned for the last few weeks?

Apparently you'll be told when they have made a Butter Käse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Thanks, Stan, that's working.

What is 'Proofing Language' and how do you set it?

basically checks your document for the language you want it to check it in. It'll use the dictionary for the language you set. 

When you go to set Proofing Language, if there's an 'ABC' with a tick next to it alongside the language listed, then that dictionary is installed in your computer and will recognise any words you type in that language.

If you set it to French, and type in French (with all the accents etc) it won't give you that red squiggly line. If you set it to French and type in English, it will give you that line. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

basically checks your document for the language you want it to check it in. It'll use the dictionary for the language you set. 

When you go to set Proofing Language, if there's an 'ABC' with a tick next to it alongside the language listed, then that dictionary is installed in your computer and will recognise any words you type in that language.

If you set it to French, and type in French (with all the accents etc) it won't give you that red squiggly line. If you set it to French and type in English, it will give you that line. 

Got it.

Thanks, Stan.

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

Hello everyone. Cheese here. I'd just like to inquire into the reason behind me being banned for the last few weeks?

Your posts must have grated on somebody.

Anyone done a McQuaig test before? Had to do one earlier and it seemed really straightforward, but one question stood out.

"If B was the first letter of the alphabet, which letter would be the last?"

How are you supposed to interpret that!? If B were the first letter of the alphabet, there'd be no reason to believe that any of the other letters go in the order they actually go in. Is B the first letter because A is no longer used? In which case the last letter would still be Z? If A is still used and for whatever stupid reason is no longer at the start, then how the hell am I supposed to know where it goes now? There's no more reason to think it would be after Z then any other place.

I know I overthought it but I still have no idea what answer they're hoping for.

11 hours ago, Hollism said:

Anyone done a McQuaig test before? Had to do one earlier and it seemed really straightforward, but one question stood out.

"If B was the first letter of the alphabet, which letter would be the last?"

How are you supposed to interpret that!? If B were the first letter of the alphabet, there'd be no reason to believe that any of the other letters go in the order they actually go in. Is B the first letter because A is no longer used? In which case the last letter would still be Z? If A is still used and for whatever stupid reason is no longer at the start, then how the hell am I supposed to know where it goes now? There's no more reason to think it would be after Z then any other place.

I know I overthought it but I still have no idea what answer they're hoping for.

I'd have put '14' and let them do some lateral thinking too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Finsbury said:

I'd have put '14' and let them do some lateral thinking too

lol I even asked if there were different levels of 'wrongness'. Like 'X' might be the wrong answer, but a batman symbol would be very wrong.

But no, apparently every questions has a correct answer :/

If you just think of the Alphabet as a continuous line of letters with an arbitrary start/finish where you want it to be, then the answer would be A....

UVWXYZA-BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZA-BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZA-BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Seems the simplest logical explanation to me. Not that that means it's correct mind...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

359e9a55-a162-4005-ad39-09da4c032d64_zps

2016-08-06%2011.10.16_zpsiivb1pjc.jpg

I've been moving a big pile of boulders today that I've had in the corner of my garden for a few years & I found this.  I live near a brook, so I thought it could be a newt, but I've never seen one this colour before.  Anyone know what it is?

Chop its leg off. If it grows back, it's a newt. Or a salamander.

15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Chop its leg off. If it grows back, it's a newt. Or a salamander.

I nearly did

It tried hiding by burying it's head in the soil, with it's arse sticking out.  I dug it out with a spade (trying not to cut any legs or it's tail off), put it in a plant pot & took it over the other side of the road & left it at the side of the brook.  The ducks have probably eaten it.