Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Question for DIY experts - I want to hang up some stuff in my flat in a couple of different rooms. It'll involve nails in to the wall. How will I know there's no wiring or piping behind the walls as I really don't fancy causing any damage to my flat lol 

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Question for DIY experts - I want to hang up some stuff in my flat in a couple of different rooms. It'll involve nails in to the wall. How will I know there's no wiring or piping behind the walls as I really don't fancy causing any damage to my flat lol 

Move to another house where they have some stuff hung up!!

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If it's not directly above a plug socket/light switch or a radiator you should be safe.

I've been on jobs where somebody has drilled into electrical wire. It makes hell of a bang.

52 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If it's not directly above a plug socket/light switch or a radiator you should be safe.

I've been on jobs where somebody has drilled into electrical wire. It makes hell of a bang.

Cheers.

Can you just come and do it cos I'm a lazy sod? 

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Webbo's advice is probably sound enough 99 times out of 100 but there will always be tradesmen who like to take shortcuts so if you don't know for sure that the inner workings are done to code and are prone to paranoia like I am then it may be worth investing in a pipe & wire detector (or nicking one off someone) if you have a lot of drilling to do or indeed if you intend to make further home improvements in the future.

On 15/08/2016 at 11:51, Wymeswold fox said:

Is online dating any good, in general?

I had 2 children with the lady I met online and then married her, so it's not without its risks

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Webbo's advice is probably sound enough 99 times out of 100 but there will always be tradesmen who like to take shortcuts so if you don't know for sure that the inner workings are done to code and are prone to paranoia like I am then it may be worth investing in a pipe & wire detector (or nicking one off someone) if you have a lot of drilling to do or indeed if you intend to make further home improvements in the future.

Buy/nick a decent one though.  The one I borrowed off my Dad seemed to be over sensitive, and then I realised it detected wiring virtually everywhere, inside a cake, my cat, my own face, etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

cheers mate (and @Webbo!)

Probably won't be doing any drilling just yet. Just nailing stuff to the wall. 

Is there more likely to be electricals & piping in the walls if it backs on to a bathroom or a boiler cupboard? As opposed to a wall that backs on to a kitchen (the wall in question on the kitchen side only has a fan on it).

Pipes and electrical trunking is usually in straight lines so they'll usually be directly above sockets and valves but if you've moved a radiator or light switch the pipe/ might go across the wall or at an angle. Chances are though that you won't hit anything. 

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

cheers mate (and @Webbo!)

Probably won't be doing any drilling just yet. Just nailing stuff to the wall. 

Is there more likely to be electricals & piping in the walls if it backs on to a bathroom or a boiler cupboard? As opposed to a wall that backs on to a kitchen (the wall in question on the kitchen side only has a fan on it).

If you are only putting nails for pictures etc, you will only need 4 inch nails maximum. So don't worry about the room on the other side of the wall.

Just now, Strokes said:

If you are only putting nails for pictures etc, you will only need 4 inch nails maximum. So don't worry about the room on the other side of the wall.

Thanks.

Not necessarily the room and the nail going through to show on the other side; it's more the stuff between the walls :) 

Seems like I'll be okay though with just nails and given the info above, I don't think I'll be anywhere near any sockets or electrical wiring

Just now, StanSP said:

Thanks.

Not necessarily the room and the nail going through to show on the other side; it's more the stuff between the walls :) 

Seems like I'll be okay though with just nails and given the info above, I don't think I'll be anywhere near any sockets or electrical wiring

Yeah that's what I meant, cables and pipes in a solid wall will be sunk in a maximum of 2 inch from the surface, so you won't have to think about the other room. If it's a stud wall don't use nails as they will come loose, buy some cavity fixings and you won't have any problems.

54 minutes ago, Strokes said:

4" nails to hang a picture!? Jesus, Strokes, I hope you're a better sparks than you are at DIY.

a) you shouldn't be nailing anything into a wall, whether it be plaster, plasterboard or masonry. Rawlplug and screws always,

and, b) depending on the weight of the picture, it shouldn't require anything over an inch and a half, two inch maximum.

The only exception would be if it's a false wall with a gap behind the plasterboard, in which case you should use cavity fixing screws.

Bloody cowboys. lol

Edited by Buce