Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I feel nervous about the positivity, especially since the last time we saw this was after the man city game. However, I trust Ranieri and our players to stay focused, grounded and keep doing what they are doing. I think the experience of the great Escape will actually stand them in good stead. I for one am not taking it for granted, but am not worrying about Jinxing anything. Our best approach as many have said, is to sing and clap our hearts out for 95mins at every one of those 7 games.. That I think will be the difference.. Keep the faith and back them like we did after WBA scored their first goal.. #Fearless

Guest bss9401

Martin O'Neill comparing us to Clough's Forest side that won the league in 1978 - with a few soundbites from Pulis and Andy King:

Leicester like Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest - Martin O'Neill

Leicester: The Impossible Team - a 5 live Sport Special Date: Wednesday, 23 March Time: 19:30-21:00 GMT Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and online

Former Leicester City manager Martin O'Neill says he can see shades of the Nottingham Forest side that became English and European champions in the 1970s in the current Foxes team.

Leicester, bottom of the Premier League a year ago, are five points clear at the top with seven games to go.

O'Neill played for Brian Clough's Forest when they won the top-flight title in 1978, a year after promotion.

"I see a lot of similarities," he said in a BBC Radio 5 live special.

"They are similar with the two players at the back, with Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns, you could go right through the side and see similarities.

"It is remarkable in this day and age - when big clubs with a lot of money to spend are ruling the roost - for Leicester to come and win this championship would be an almighty achievement."

Republic of Ireland boss O'Neill, who managed Leicester for five years from 1995, was speaking on 'Leicester: The Impossible Team', a 5 live Sport Special to be broadcast on Wednesday.

The 64-year-old was an integral part of the Forest squad that followed up their league title win with back-to-back European Cup victories.

Forest's achievements during that period are largely considered one of football's greatest success stories, and O'Neill believes Leicester City winning the title would be comparable.

"Without question there is romance about the story - people are talking about it all over Europe," he added. "I was in France recently for a Uefa meeting and it was the talk of the evening, people are really taking note.

"It is a great story and if they do it, it would be the story of the century."

'Foxes title would outshine Forest's achievements'

West Brom boss Tony Pulis thinks Leicester winning the title would eclipse Forest's 1978 title victory.

"This is a bigger achievement because the difference between the finances are massive compared to what they were when Cloughie was managing Forest," he said.

"I am hoping and praying they do it for everyone outside the top six football clubs. It gives everyone that bit of hope, that freshness and I think it makes this league the best in the world.

"It is brilliant for British football, brilliant for the Premier League and brilliant for everyone connected."

From League One to the top of the Premier League

A Leicester title win would be a particularly memorable achievement for the club's longest serving player.

Andy King, 27, came through the Foxes' youth system and the midfielder has played for them in League One, the Championship and now the Premier League.

He already has title-winning medals from the lower two divisions.

"I can remember playing away at Stockport," he said. "It was the second game of the season in League One and we drew 0-0, Matt Oakley launched a shot late on over the bar and into a river behind the stadium.

"Ultimately we got promoted that year and the rest, as they say, is history.

"There's still 21 points to play for this season. It will be a nice story for everyone but we don't want to think about that. We are just concentrating on our football."

Leicester: The Impossible Team is a 5 live Sport Special that will be broadcast on Wednesday night from 19:30-21:00 GMT

Foxes midfielder Andy King will describe the journey the club have been on and Marcello Lippi, Italy's World Cup-winning coach, will give us the insight on boss Claudio Ranieri.

Martin O'Neill, Tony Pulis, captain Wes Morgan, Gary Lineker and the Hollywood film producer who is planning to make Jamie Vardy: The Movie will also give their thoughts on the team that stands on the threshold of the Premier League title.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35877905

Notts forest are desperately trying to draw attention to themselves over our success so I do not thank MON for this. It was probably led by a journalist but having seen both teams live I believe that notts forest were much more direct and dull anyway.

Goldstein was the one after the Newcastle game going on about how it would be a disgrace if we were the representing the Premier League as its champion in the Champions League . He suggested Tottenham would be much better placed to fill that role, despite getting tonked 3-0 by Dortmund four days earlier.

Wouldn't worry about it.

erm, mods?

I think he's just stating a fact although could be over egging it a bit.

I've got a nephew with Goldxxxxx surname and his fathers heritage is all Jewish, that's not to say or presume this guy is.

Recorded in many forms as shown below, this is a surname of dual nationality. In England the name is usually locational from the villages called Goldstone in the counties of Kent and Staffordshire. The origin in both cases is the same, and sadly does not have anything to do with the mineral gold, being from the female personal name of 'Golda' and '-tun', a farm or hamlet. Perhaps surprisingly the surname has developed many spelling forms including Goldston, Goldstone, Gouldstone, Golston, Goulstone, Goulston, Goldson, Golson, the German and Jewish Goldstein, and the rare Gulston and Guslon. Locational surnames were sunames that were usually given to former inhabitants of the villages after they moved to other areas, even if this was only the next village. The German version though is ornamental. These were names created in the 18th century, because they looked and sounded pleasant. At that time Germany was regarded as the most liberal country in Europe, and they welcomed in refugees from many areas. Early examples of the surname recording include Robert Goldstan in the Pipe Rolls of Bedford in 1202, and Walter Goldstan in the Curia Regis Rolls of Berkshire in 1214. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Goldstein#ixzz43j0IyOca

Steve Walsh on talk sport tonight, absolutely brilliant hour of now and then available as a podcast, well worth a listen!

Listened to it last night, it was brilliant, well worth a listen to those of us old enough to remember the early 90's.

The wife and I were due to watch a film but I turned the tele on and it was on Talksport, I had to massage my wife's feet for the whole time I listened to it as a compromise for me keeping it on. 

More from TalkShite  - http://talksport.com/football/leicester-super-scout-steve-walsh-tells-talksport-kasper-schmeichel-best-goalkeeper-premier

"[Leicester City's] head of recruitment and former captain Steve Walsh..."

Fvck me. They have a different piece, which talks about "the club's head of recruitment Steve Walsh, who was a special guest on Tuesday night's Sports Bar." http://talksport.com/football/leicester-super-scout-steve-walsh-tells-talksport-kasper-schmeichel-best-goalkeeper-premier

Complete halfwits.

Edited by LanguedocFox

I think it's a silly question really, but if I had to answer would say no we wouldn't win la liga or bundesliga... As real Madrid, Barcelona, Dortmund and Munich are too strong.

Having said that, no English team would win those leagues either IMO. From all the English teams, we would have the best chance based on this season's form.

Also, at the start of the season who would have thought we would have a chance of winning the league here, so even though it unlikely, we would still have a chance.

Our strength is we won't go into a game with real Madrid thinking we are already beaten. Arsenal and others are usually already beaten before they begin....

Having said all that, its still a stupid question usually put forward by bitter fans or journalists who just can't accept seeing Leicester on top

Why do you always want the mods in it's your fault my picture of Kate Upton got deleted.

He's the Adrian Durham of foxestalk. Just does and says annoying things to try and get a reaction. When you realise that you can just read his posts and enjoy them for what they are, lovely bait.

erm, mods?

Nothing I wrote was intended to be anti-semitic, you've just taken it the wrong way. Its no secret that Tottenham have a large Jewish following. I'm not saying he's a Tottenham supporter or even Jewish for that matter but its hardly inappropriate to speculate that he is considering his take on the title race and his surname. Its no more offensive then him speculating that we will fail to win the title based on the evidence presented to him, that's his opinion so fair play to him. I'm also free to speculate that a man called Andy Goldstein who doubts Leicester's title chances is a Jewish Tottenham fan based on the evidence presented to me. He might not be but I'm willing to bet he is.

Edited by 4everfox

Nothing I wrote was intended to be anti-semitic, you've just taken it the wrong way. Its no secret that Tottenham have a large Jewish following. I'm not saying he's a Tottenham supporter or even Jewish for that matter but its hardly inappropriate to speculate that he is considering his take on the title race and his surname. Its no more offensive then him speculating that we will fail to win the title based on the evidence presented to him, that's his opinion so fair play to him. I'm also free to speculate that a man called Andy Goldstein who doubts Leicester's title chances is a Jewish Tottenham fan based on the evidence presented to me. He might not be but I'm willing to bet he is.

I don't think you need explain yourself.

I also hope the reply was in jest :rolleyes:

Why do you always want the mods in it's your fault my picture of Kate Upton got deleted.

He's the Adrian Durham of foxestalk. Just does and says annoying things to try and get a reaction. When you realise that you can just read his posts and enjoy them for what they are, lovely bait.

I had no idea that Goldstein is actually a Jewish surname. I merely thought it was a play on the stereotype that Jews crave money.

Just how I read it at the time and I apologise.

For the record though, he's a Manchester United fan.

Edited by AKCJ

I had no idea that Goldstein is actually a Jewish surname. I merely thought it was a play on the stereotype that Jews crave money.

Just how I read it at the time and I apologise.

For the record though, he's a Manchester United fan.

Parps you should join a netball forum or a knitting forum.

We can't say spuds arsenil or mention someone with a Jewish name maybe Jewish.

PC gone fvckin crazy on a football forum.

Incase I have offended someone can the mods please vet this post.

lol lol

Parps you should join a netball forum or a knitting forum.

We can't say spuds arsenil or mention someone with a Jewish name maybe Jewish.

PC gone fvckin crazy on a football forum.

Incase I have offended someone can the mods please vet this post.

lol lol

Not quite the point I was making though, is it?

Tonight on 5 live... Leicester City: The Impossible Team

"Find out how Leicester City made their remarkable year-long rise from the bottom of the Premier League table to the top, with a 5 live sport special - Leicester City: The Impossible Team, Wednesday, 23 March, 19:30 GMT."