Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Ha ha, so bitter!

COMMENT: It's Tottenham's Title! Leicester Winning It Would Be An Injustice

Written By

Oly Lister - @OlyLister

Published

24/03/2016 16:58

It was obviously going to happen.

Everything was lined up perfectly; Manchester City, Man United, Chelsea and, to some extent, Arsenal, having a season so off the boil they won’t even blanch; Spurs, driven by a newfound defensive solidity not seen for generations, walking through opponents like they weren’t there, guided by a manager who, for once, united fans and players. Glory beckoned. What could go wrong?

Cue Leicester City.

This will sound like sour grapes, but I can’t stand them. Let me clarify: I do not begrudge them their success. For a team built on journeymen to have achieved what they have is nothing short of incredible. They’ve stuck to their game plan, and at the time of writing, they find themselves five clear at the summit. Kudos, Claudio. While commentators have fallen over themselves to lavish praise on them, there is an unspoken truth: they are revolting to watch.

"Long ball merchants", as hackneyed as it is, is not inaccurate. Their game-plan of being a resolute defensive unit and taking their opportunities on the break -- often with long hopeful balls into the channels -- has undone nearly all in their path, Spurs included.

And this is what irks me. Their success has been largely based on the fact they’ve avoided playing football at all costs. I don’t think it’s overly romantic to want the leading team in the league to have dominated at least one match.

Perhaps what irks me further is the hubris of all the teams you’d expect to beat them falling for the same trick time and again. Again, Spurs included. The old “it won’t happen to us” attitude. This is where it went wrong. This is where Leicester won the title.

Of course, this should (and still could) be Spurs' title. We’ve been the best team, played the best football, scored the most goals and conceded the fewest. This should be our fairytale; the youngest squad in the league; players honed through the ranks of the youth setup being the leading lights; a team shaped without spending huge amounts of money; and, ahem, a hugely likeable squad capable of going on tour without becoming embroiled in racist abuse.

It feels like we’re losing a beauty competition to a troll that escaped from beneath its bridge.

It would be a tragedy to miss out on the title to them, but that said, it should not distract from what has been the most exhilaratingly beautiful Spurs team of my lifetime. I’ve never felt so connected with the club and so sure that finally it is on the right track. Quite simply, we’ve been incredible. No one expected this, but no we’re there, we might as well do it. There is very little that is untainted in football, Spurs winning the league could be that reminder that good can prevail.

Please, Tottenham, save football from this injustice.

http://thetottenhamway.com/article/comment-its-tottenhams-title-leicester-winning-it-would-be-an-injustice-

Sounds like it's been written by a 17 year old kid who's struggling to come to terms with his sexuality. Nob

I remember in 2012/13 that I thought we played some of the best football in the Championship. Plenty of possession, chances created, attacked in numbers, quite prolific in front of goal, some big victories. We were better to watch than Cardiff. But they won the league. How was that fair? I know they won more games and got more points but didn't we pass the ball more? I know they are probably celebrating hard and enjoying the open top bus tour whilst we sat contemplating another year in the Championship but seriously, look at the chances we created. We scored 6 goals twice and only finished 6th? Total injustice.

Edited by Corky

Does the time when we rocked up to one of the favourites home ground, and beat them so hard that Danny Simpson has another domestic abuse charge to face not count?

We've dominated plenty of matches. Sunderland at home, Norwich away, West Brom away, Newcastle away, Swansea away, Stoke at home, Liverpool home, Man City away, West Brom home, Watford away. 

Just because we don't piss about with 80% of possession and telling everyone how pure our football is doesn't mean we haven't dominated many matches.

Edited by Corky

You'd think they would be used to it, after all they grew up watching Arsenal winning 1-0 every week.

Maybe they could have the George Graham Cup. ( Arsenal could win 1-0 every season and Spurs could have 80% possession, everyone goes home happy)

Atletico Madrid won their league few years ago with an average possession of 48% which put them 9th in the possession table in La Liga. Currently they've conceded 13 league goals this season in La Liga. Diego Simeone has been in charge of 240 games for Atletico since he arrived and he's got 125 clean sheets. I guess Atletico Madrid are anti football.

The state of some football supporters.

Remember that thread a few months ago where some on here were praising Spurs fans for their choir boy angelic singing of 'When the Spurs go marching in'? I got slated for calling them a bunch of cvnts, so glad to see folk are eventually seeing them for what they are. Spurs fans are indeed, in the main, with the odd exception, a bunch of cvnts.

• Like 1

Atletico Madrid are currently better than any English team by a mile but if they played in our league we'd have Spurs fans calling them anti football because they keep clean sheets for fun and don't dominate possession lol

Remember that thread a few months ago where some on here were praising Spurs fans for their choir boy angelic singing of 'When the Spurs go marching in'? I got slated for calling them a bunch of cvnts, so glad to see folk are eventually seeing them for what they are. Spurs fans are indeed, in the main, with the odd exception, a bunch of cvnts.

The biggest bunch of cvnts ever.

Rather be in a pub full of sheep n tree's than spend time with one of them cvnts.

• Like 3

The fact they can sing a football song in time and not at a trillion miles an hour unlike the vast majority of our fans doesn't make them cvnts...

...just all the other stuff.  :thumbup:

All the BS about is not playing football or being anti-football or just plain lucky...is usually spouted off by sore losers.

A lot of these spurs fans are deluded into think possession equates to beautiful football...ask those going to old Trafford if that's true.

Also the myth that the most difficult team to play against means you are the best team. As a prime example proving this theory incorrect is Marcelo bielsa (mentor of pochetinos pressing style) athletic Bilbao team were widely acknowledged as difficult team to play against with guardiola saying they were the hardest team to play against, yet they finished mid table and lost the finals in the cups they reached.

About being embarrassment in Europe, then Dortmund certainly hammered them home and away. Excuses of not playing their first team is quite pathetic, Dortmund are challenging for the title in bundesliga they weren't worried about playing two games a weak and even they play high intensity style... What will happen if they rest their players next season in the CL because the softies can't play two games a week? More 4-0 hammerings I think. A big embarrassment for English teams.

Spurs fans are the type of people who clap when the plane lands. Cvnts.

Actually do want them to win it if we can't but the arrogance they are showing and bitterness towards us is unbelievable