Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I thought they were remarkably gracious, under the circumstances:

" They walked this division, now they're walking the championship. Fair play to them. What was that thread on bentleys roof when they dropped to this league? Think they deserve a similar thread by way of congratulation when promotion is clinched. (Today?)"

Yes. One of the reasons many fans were so pissed off last season. Whilst we haven't spunked away the cash others seem to believe there is this notion among some City fans that Nige has done this on a shoe-string. He hasn't.

And how much did he raise in player sales?

And how much did he raise in player sales?

No idea but he has no influence over that. Clubs pay what they are willing to pay. That is no skill on Pearson's part. It will be the same the other way around, of course. The fees won't be negotiated by Pearson himself. All I'm saying is that he has had generous resources to play with and he has used them. People getting their backs up at the suggestion that he's had more to spend than most of his contemporaries at this level are being silly. He has spent money (well) and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

Edited by LJS

No idea but he has no influence over that. Clubs pay what they are willing to pay. That is no skill on Pearson's part. It will be the same the other way around, of course. The fees won't be negotiated by Pearson himself. All I'm saying is that he has had generous resources to play with and he has used them. People getting their backs up at the suggestion that he's had more to spend than most of his contemporaries at this level are being silly. He has spent money (well) and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

You seem to be missing the point.

A rather large chunk of what he was spent has come from player sales, his net spend over the last 2/3 years is actually pretty average for for a dozen or so more teams in this league.

Guest ttfn

A rather large chunk of what he was spent has come from player sales, his net spend over the last 2/3 years is actually pretty average for for a dozen or so more teams in this league.

I think net spend is a decent metric but it needs to be put in the context of what the platform is from which to build.

Schmeichel, Nugent and Konchesky have all been huge players under NP and obviously he didn't have to bring them in.

I think it's pretty pointless measuring NP in a financial sense - the fact is that we haven't had to worry about finance until this season. Instead it's the personnel side - the dross and the divisive characters he's shipped out have been almost as important as those he's brought in

I'm not missing the point, I'm addressing it. I think 'net spend' is a nonsense measure against which to judge the performance of a manager. They have no influence on the fees they reap. They do have some influence on what of their budget they're willing to spend on incoming players.

I'm not slagging Nige off here. I think he has done brilliantly with his resources, I'm just honest enough to acknowledge that the resources he has been given have been very generous compared to the vast majority of other second tier clubs.

For some reasons a large proportion of our fanbase seem a bit embarrassed by this. It's bizarre. For years we craved a bit of money and now we have that in combination with a manager who is capable of spending it effectively we seem to want to hide from the facts. Perhaps it's a bit of lingering sensitivity from administration and from our more recent reckless spending under Sven's stewardship.

I find it odd, is all. These are very good times, both off the pitch and on it. The two things won't come together often for a club like ours. Lets just enjoy it whilst also being confident enough to be honest about where it has come from.

Whoever Babsy is, you're an idiot. 

Don't go onto someone else's forum who are singing our praises and then go and knock them down about financial fair play! Especially when we HAVE spent the cash over the years, even if our wage bill now isn't quite the same eye sore. ;-)

Don't go onto someone else's forum who are singing our praises and then go and knock them down about financial fair play! Especially when we HAVE spent the cash over the years, even if our wage bill now isn't quite the same eye sore. ;-)

Yeah that was poor from him.

It's Babs, and he seems to spend a lot of time correcting people who have no clue what they're talking about (seems this sub-forum isn't enough for him). While we have spent some money, we're not big spending leicester, bank-rolling promotion like QPR have attempted to, like most fans seem to think. Correcting them is fair enough.

To be fair if Forest had done what we had this year I would have to say fair play. I wouldn't be at all happy but you can't take it away from them.

I'll be the same about Derby if they go up although it's a bit easier to say when we're already up.

Even Palace fans giving is credit on Talksport "first of all congratulations to Leicester a proper big club back in the big time"

Good. I hope they stay up as well.

Even Palace fans giving is credit on Talksport "first of all congratulations to Leicester a proper big club back in the big time"

Ive been Forum surfing for the past couple of hours and we have been mentioned in just about all of them, we even have our own threads. This feels great!!!

I knocked one person down, an idiot who had no idea what he was talking about and trotting out the usual shite. The others I thanked.

So how exactly does that make me an idiot?