Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I happened to catch this in a column by Rod Liddle in last week's Sport section of The Sunday Times. He's talking about a guy called Ali Dia, who conned his way to a trial with Southampton when Graeme Souness was their manager, and what happened to him afterwards:

"Dia played one game for Blyth Spartans Reserves and a few for Gateshead before giving up the ghost, his audacious con now common knowledge, so that even Nigel Pearson would have thought twice before signing him."

In addition to the ST, Liddle writes for The Spectator and The Sun. I've read a bit of what he produces, and he seems to take pride in proving that he is rather less intelligent, contemplative and self-aware than Richard Littlejohn. He's also a lifelong Millwall fan, and has admitted to posting allegedly racist and misogynist comments on their fans forum.

Even so, that really is a particularly twattish thing to say, isn't it?

I happened to catch this in a column by Rod Liddle in last week's Sport section of The Sunday Times. He's talking about a guy called Ali Dia, who conned his way to a trial with Southampton when Graeme Souness was their manager, and what happened to him afterwards:

"Dia played one game for Blyth Spartans Reserves and a few for Gateshead before giving up the ghost, his audacious con now common knowledge, so that even Nigel Pearson would have thought twice before signing him."

In addition to the ST, Liddle writes for The Spectator and The Sun. I've read a bit of what he produces, and he seems to take pride in proving that he is rather less intelligent, contemplative and self-aware than Richard Littlejohn. He's also a lifelong Millwall fan, and has admitted to posting allegedly racist and misogynist comments on their fans forum.

I'm genuinely struggling to see what kind of point he's trying to make with that sentence. Nigel Pearson and Steve Walsh are perhaps two of the most astute men in the transfer market right now. Apart from Bakayogo, every single one of our signings this season has added something positive to the squad...

Now, replace NP with Billy Davies or Harry Redknapp, buying anyone and everyone at the slightest sign of trouble, and he might have a valid point.

I'm genuinely struggling to see what kind of point he's trying to make with that sentence. Nigel Pearson and Steve Walsh are perhaps two of the most astute men in the transfer market right now. Apart from Bakayogo, every single one of our signings this season has added something positive to the squad...

Now, replace NP with Billy Davies or Harry Redknapp, buying anyone and everyone at the slightest sign of trouble, and he might have a valid point.

It's an extremely long shot but maybe he means the journo Nigel Pearson? Makes about as much sense as saying it about Big Nige.

I wrote to the ST  letters page challenging Liddle's  comment and suggesting that he might be confusing NP with Sven  (although he wasn't particularly prone to signing  useless foreigners.). You need to get your point over in no more than 2 sentences which is tricky if all you are doing is contradicting him and I suspect this is why  it wasn't published.