Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be honest, I don't remember it ever being referenced in the tv series that the wall was magic. Just ****ing big. Like really ****ing big. 

I don't doubt it may be in the books but it's clearly not something they've bothered to enforce much in the show. 

Think Benjen references it when he drops off Bran there at the end of season 6

Edited by Goober

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be honest, I don't remember it ever being referenced in the tv series that the wall was magic. Just ****ing big. Like really ****ing big. 

I don't doubt it may be in the books but it's clearly not something they've bothered to enforce much in the show. 

I'm fairly sure it was mentioned around the same time that Bran was touched by the Night King but they've not really backed it up.

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Hide contents

Think Benjen references it when he drops off Bran there at the end of season 6

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'm fairly sure it was mentioned around the same time that Bran was touched by the Night King but they've not really backed it up.

Quite possibly but it's really not had much of a big deal made of it. I've watched every episode, I'm very attentive, I retain information very well and it barely registered with me tbh. 

We've just had several seasons of Jon telling everyone how serious the threat is, not several seasons of Jon going "don't worry, we got this, the magic wall will stop them."

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Quite possibly but it's really not had much of a big deal made of it. I've watched every episode, I'm very attentive, I retain information very well and it barely registered with me tbh. 

We've just had several seasons of Jon telling everyone how serious the threat is, not several seasons of Jon going "don't worry, we got this, the magic wall will stop them."

I've never read the books but I know about it so it must have been said somewhere! lol 

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There are more references to it in the book, and also a big magic horn that will bring it down, so whether the dragon was a pure TV show invention I don't know. There is also nothing in the show to say it isn't magic. Logistically speaking though to construct it would require some sort of assistance from the supernatural.

If you want to cite only the TV show, there is a "The History of the Night's Watch" is a series of short videos in "Complete Guide to Westeros", a special feature present in the Blu-ray set of Season 1 of Game of Thrones. They are narrated by James Cosmo as Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin, and Charles Dance as Lord Tywin Lannister, respectively.

Tywin Lannister's perspective:

Tywin Lannister: Long ago, in the wintry North, an army of demons emerged from beneath the icy ground and spread darkness and despair across the land. Astride their monstrous spiders, flanked by giants, they wreaked havoc on the innocent, slaughtering thousands.

All hope was lost until the fearless warriors of the first Night's Watch drove them back into the wintry mountains and built a magic wall to keep them from ever invading again. These stalwart Brothers in black continue to protect us even to this day from the evils that lurk in the shadows.

If Charles Dance calls it a magic wall, then that is good enough for me.

geek.jpg

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I've not had my tuppence worth on winterfell, and to be honest I was disappointed.

Reveal hidden contents

It felt rushed (unsurprisingly) Little Finger's come uppance, should have been at the end, he started all this, he should have been that at the end either discussing how it all panned out with Varys or killed in some dramatic double cross, trying to marry Sansa whilst betraying the rest of the Stark's to Cersei.

His meddling has been marginalised and served no purpose this season, the reveal that he was to be on trial not Arya was kinda obvious, but the reasoning why wasn't. I assume Bran looked back through time and saw what he did, but it would have made more sense if the Sansa Arya double cross was actually to get him to tell Sansa what he did to the Arryn's and Ned, not just sell us down the wrong path.

I think it's about the right time tbh, there's so much more important stuff that has happened since the start, the people he backed have already fallen and the situation's long since spiralled out of his control hence the marginalisation, Sansa was the last vestige of any influence over proceedings he could have hoped to retain.  Getting him out the way so we can focus on the bigger issues ties up one loose end and gives us a satisfying death to finish the season on, not to mention how it highlights the bond of the Stark children which will no doubt be important in the next series.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That is a fair point, within the context of getting the wildlings safe they were a threat, but actually they should have had more faith in the wall and dealt with Cersei and not dicked about trying to catch a wight, for no reason, giving the NK a means to destroy the wall. Jon is right to be concerned, but the wall is there for a reason, let it do it's job until there is reason to think it can't.

Again referencing the books and this magic horn, it could be that GRRM is going to have Cersei bring down the wall to unleash the undead in a desperate bid to defeat her enemies in the North, but you'd have to ask George that one.

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's about the right time tbh, there's so much more important stuff that has happened since the start, the people he backed have already fallen and the situation's long since spiralled out of his control hence the marginalisation, Sansa was the last vestige of any influence over proceedings he could have hoped to retain.  Getting him out the way so we can focus on the bigger issues ties up one loose end and gives us a satisfying death to finish the season on, not to mention how it highlights the bond of the Stark children which will no doubt be important in the next series.

Like so much of this season it just felt rushed, I wanted him to be worming his way back into Sansa's trust to the point where he thinks he has convinced her to marry him, kill Arya and Bran, betray Jon and join Cersei. Then when he thinks he is marrying Sansa it is actually a trap and he gets stuck with the pointy end. Bran being able to see everything and exposing Little Finger was just a bit of a cop out. I also feel we never really go to know Baelish's true end game, did he want power, did he want influence, did he want to rule, or did he really love Catelyn/Sansa.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Hide contents

Like so much of this season it just felt rushed, I wanted him to be worming his way back into Sansa's trust to the point where he thinks he has convinced her to marry him, kill Arya and Bran, betray Jon and join Cersei. Then when he thinks he is marrying Sansa it is actually a trap and he gets stuck with the pointy end. Bran being able to see everything and exposing Little Finger was just a bit of a cop out. I also feel we never really go to know Baelish's true end game, did he want power, did he want influence, did he want to rule, or did he really love Catelyn/Sansa.

Think it was a bit from each column, but yeah it was over quickly.

31 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Hide contents

Surprised you think that bit in bold.

I would have been an outrageous plot hole if Bran hadn't told Sansa about the betrayal.

24 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Surprised you think that bit in bold.

I would have been an outrageous plot hole if Bran hadn't told Sansa about the betrayal.

But if only if Bran had seen it, he is still figuring out his powers, and doesn't know everything all we know he knows is LF said "Chaos is a ladder", if someone asks him he can look for things, like Sam did. It could have at least had Little Finger let something slip to Sansa that makes her think and goes to see Bran. I'm still not sure if Sansa and Arya were setting up LF or if Sansa just came to her senses, but LF could have let slip how sometimes you have to kill/betray someone you love to survive, referring to Sansa killing Arya, but then saying something like "I should know" confessing to Sansa he betrayed someone he loved, i.e. Catelyn which prompted Sansa to ask Bran. It never really explains how Sansa knew about Lysa and John Arryn.

Edited by Captain...

20 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But if only if Bran had seen it, he is still figuring out his powers, and doesn't know everything all we know he knows is LF said "Chaos is a ladder", if someone asks him he can look for things, like Sam did. It could have at least had Little Finger let something slip to Sansa that makes her think and goes to see Bran. I'm still not sure if Sansa and Arya were setting up LF or if Sansa just came to her senses, but LF could have let slip how sometimes you have to kill/betray someone you love to survive, referring to Sansa killing Arya, but then saying something like "I should know" confessing to Sansa he betrayed someone he loved, i.e. Catelyn which prompted Sansa to ask Bran. It never really explains how Sansa knew about Lysa and John Arryn.

She was sat right next to them when it happened...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sure, I'm trying to think if there's a scene from the Eyrie where it was revealed to her.  Could have overheard Baelish and Lysa talking about it.

According to GoT Wiki it was info supplied by Bran.

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Guys, you're all missing the point.

Where is Tormund Giantsbane? lol

Tormund possibly needs saving but I hope he made it down ok.

He is currently in Skegness, waiting for winter to end.  His met some.ginger Tracy, so BriAnne can fook right off and get a metal handjob from the king slayer

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Guys, you're all missing the point.

Where is Tormund Giantsbane? lol

Tormund possibly needs saving but I hope he made it down ok.

He's fine, we'd have been treated to a gratuitous shot of his lifeless face if something had happened to him, think he's still atop the wall where it didn't crumble.

Tormund and Beric will be fine. Tormund is too well loved to die off screen, and there's no way they would have used up Thoros's death to build up the fact that this is Beric's last life for him to just snuff it off screen. My bet is that they've ran away along the wall and will end up at Castle Black next series.