Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

16 minutes ago, Goober said:

Hide contents

overall feeling after watching that was disappointment. Expected more from the Night King, expected better visuals rather than being able to see basically naff all the entire episode. Arya was great throughout tbf though, shot out of my seat at the end. Glad that she was the one to do it at least.

Will have to see where the rest of the season goes for more context on this one anyway. [spoiler/]

Exactly my thoughts, no idea where we go with the next 3 episodes. The show was built on being ruthless with the main characters. Hope there's no Hollywood happy ever after ending :(

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Insane episode despite half of it barely being visible on my TV. 

However,

Hide contents

the plot armour is a bit too much. The writers shouldn't be pussies and kill main characters off, or at least put them in fewer scenarios where they should die. Sad the whole Night King arc is over too.

That really annoyed me too. What did Grey Worm, Brienne, Podrick and Tormund need to be kept alive for? Just pandering to fans who like them all. All four could have died and would have added to the plot. They didn't need to dive head first into the army of the dead and somehow survive.

I understand Jaime (encountering Cersei and Bronn), Davos (Seeing Melisandre die) and The Hound (Cleganebowl confirmed) surviving, but what the hell is the point in keeping characters safe for the sake of it? This is Game of Thrones, the show that built it's reputation on not being afraid to kill characters that didn't really need to live. Since passing the books the writers have been shown up to be serious pussies.

Other than Theon, Beric and Jorah, all we saw die in the 'Great War' were a load of unknown soldiers that we don't care about.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Hide contents

given Arya is one of my top three favourite characters, I haven't been that happy with an ending for a long time. 

It did confirm one growing suspicion I've had for all of this season though. That all of the hype about the Night King, all of the last season building about the army of the dead, we'd all been being sucked in to a trap. 

We were all falling for the rouse that the white walkers were the real fight all along and the throne was the red herring. Its always been the other way around.

Its the Game of Thrones. This season wasn't ever about the dead it's about Cersei. It was never likely that this episode could end with both the Night King and Jon/Danny all alive. 

Which meant either the North would get wiped out or I'd be such a pyrrhic victory that it's right back to Lannisters having the upper hand where we started. 

I like what they've done. It's set up nicely so the last three episodes could be really epic.

Totally agree, I don't much care for the army of the dead. I fell in love with the Game of Thrones. Cersei slowly descending into the Mad Queen is far more enthralling than some OP Icy bois.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Hide contents

That really annoyed me too. What did Grey Worm, Brienne, Podrick and Tormund need to be kept alive for? Just pandering to fans who like them all. All four could have died and would have added to the plot. They didn't need to dive head first into the army of the dead and somehow survive.

I understand Jaime (encountering Cersei and Bronn), Davos (Seeing Melisandre die) and The Hound (Cleganebowl confirmed) surviving, but what the hell is the point in keeping characters safe for the sake of it? This is Game of Thrones, the show that built it's reputation on not being afraid to kill characters that didn't really need to live. Since passing the books the writers have been shown up to be serious pussies.

Other than Theon, Beric and Jorah, all we saw die in the 'Great War' were a load of unknown soldiers that we don't care about.

we're only halfway through, there's a whole war with Cersei to fight, they're not going to kill everyone. 

We just lost Theon, Edd, Jorah, baby Mormont, a dragon, the entire Dothraki hoard, Melisandra, Ser Resurrection What's his face. 

I think that's probably enough for one episode!

The game of Thrones thing of being shocking and murdering everyone has become so cliche and contrived anyway that actually having more principle characters survive is almost more unexpected. I'm fine with that.

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Hide contents

we're only halfway through, there's a whole war with Cersei to fight, they're not going to kill everyone. 

We just lost Theon, Edd, Jorah, baby Mormont, a dragon, the entire Dothraki hoard, Melisandra, Ser Resurrection What's his face. 

I think that's probably enough for one episode!

The game of Thrones thing of being shocking and murdering everyone has become so cliche and contrived anyway that actually having more principle characters survive is almost more unexpected. I'm fine with that.

Nobody is bothered about Lyanna Mormont though really. As far as I know only the NK's dragon died. 

Was disappointed that Ser Beric died though. Really liked his character but fitting that the Lord of Light story has closed with his and Melisandre's death, follwoing their conversation telling Arya that she is essentially Azor Ahai.[/spoiler[

Edited by AKCJ

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Hide contents

Nobody is bothered about Lyanna Mormont though really. As far as I know only the NK's dragon died. 

Was disappointed that Ser Beric died though. Really liked his character but fitting that the Lord of Light story has closed with his and Melisandre's death, follwoing their conversation telling Arya that she is essentially Azor Ahai.[/spoiler] 

Jorah, Mellisandre and Theon are all pretty major characters and major arcs to have closed though. 

As is the Night King himself. 

The Hound needs to survive to confront the Mountain, the Lannister boys needed to survive to confront Bronn and Cersei. Danny and Jon had to survive to resolve their conflict over their lineage (let's be honest, one of them is gonna be on the throne at the end) and they probably need Sam to be part of that, especially given Sam is now pissed at Danny. 

Greyworm had to survive because Jorah and the Dothraki are dead so Danny has to have SOMEONE that can lead her army. 

We could have lost Briene but she probably has more to do with Jaime still. We could have lost Pod or Tormund but let's be honest, you're getting down to fairly lesser characters now that wouldn't satisfy anyone's expectation that major characters die. 

I get what you mean, the way it was filmed with so many of the above looking CLOSE to death but still surviving was a bit cheesy but in plot narrative it makes sense to be fair, the outcome that is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Hide contents

Jorah, Mellisandre and Theon are all pretty major characters and major arcs to have closed though. 

As is the Night King himself. 

The Hound needs to survive to confront the Mountain, the Lannister boys needed to survive to confront Bronn and Cersei. Danny and Jon had to survive to resolve their conflict over their lineage (let's be honest, one of them is gonna be on the throne at the end) and they probably need Sam to be part of that, especially given Sam is now pissed at Danny. 

Greyworm had to survive because Jorah and the Dothraki are dead so Danny has to have SOMEONE that can lead her army. 

We could have lost Briene but she probably has more to do with Jaime still. We could have lost Pod or Tormund but let's be honest, you're getting down to fairly lesser characters now that wouldn't satisfy anyone's expectation that major characters die. 

I get what you mean, the way it was filmed with so many of the above looking CLOSE to death but still surviving was a bit cheesy but in plot narrative it makes sense to be fair, the outcome that is.

I hadn't actually thought about that line i've put in bold. Very good point tbf.

I suppose we ought to know by now that everything happens in GoT for a reason. Lets see.

• Thanks 1

Pretty magnificent stuff, even though it didn't really play out the way I wanted or expected.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Hide contents

given Arya is one of my top three favourite characters, I haven't been that happy with an ending for a long time. 

It did confirm one growing suspicion I've had for all of this season though. That all of the hype about the Night King, all of the last season building about the army of the dead, we'd all been being sucked in to a trap. 

We were all falling for the rouse that the white walkers were the real fight all along and the throne was the red herring. Its always been the other way around.

Its the Game of Thrones. This season wasn't ever about the dead it's about Cersei. It was never likely that this episode could end with both the Night King and Jon/Danny all alive. 

Which meant either the North would get wiped out or I'd be such a pyrrhic victory that it's right back to Lannisters having the upper hand where we started. 

I like what they've done. It's set up nicely so the last three episodes could be really epic.

I think most everyone bought it - I know I did, up to the point that I thought the NK was definitely going to survive this episode.

Not sure whether it's excellent plotting or the writers just being contrary for its own sake as the NK would have been a most suitable final episode opponent, but it does leave things interestingly poised.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Pretty magnificent stuff, even though it didn't really play out the way I wanted or expected.

Hide contents

I think most everyone bought it - I know I did, up to the point that I thought the NK was definitely going to survive this episode.

Not sure whether it's excellent plotting or the writers just being contrary for its own sake as the NK would have been a most suitable final episode opponent, but it does leave things interestingly poised.

I thought this episode was going to include a massive death (One of the Starks/Jon/Danaerys/Tyrion etc) and would end with the remaining living retreating further South as the Night King tore down Winterfell with his Dragon.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought this episode was going to include a massive death (One of the Starks/Jon/Danaerys/Tyrion etc) and would end with the remaining living retreating further South as the Night King tore down Winterfell with his Dragon.

That was pretty much what I expected too. Big death (possibly Sansa/Arya) followed by retreat, though given the situation any kind of organised retreat in numbers keeping ahead of the dead likely would have been impossible.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Hide contents

That was pretty much what I expected too. Big death (possibly Sansa/Arya) followed by retreat, though given the situation any kind of organised retreat in numbers keeping ahead of the dead likely would have been impossible.

Yeah it would have needed a bit of a sacrificial ending. Suppose Thrones has been there and done that so many times before.

The more I've thought about the episode today, the more annoyed I am with that ending.

All show and spectacle but lacking in substance.

We've waited 8 years for answers, countless theories later, ultimately for nothing.  We're none the wiser.

To carry it through in that manner and not address everything that has brought the NK to this point isn't good enough imo.  

It's a real shame that the plot, which was spectacular, has progressively worsened as the spectacle itself has improved.

• Like 1

if the whole NK storyline is completely left alone after this I’ll be annoyed really. As has been said previously all the hype, mystery, etc around the white walkers deserves a far more important ending. In previous years the show runners have spoken about there being one final ‘wow’ moment left in the series, I hope we haven’t just had it in that episode. Though it does feel as if that part of the story is fully over.

Honestly don’t know how to feel about it all lol I need to rewatch it again and soak it all up.

Hugely intrigued by Ep.4 now. Cersei is in my top 3 so I hope the show can do her justice at least. They’ve got work to do to save this but the potential is still there. [spoiler/]

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Goober said:

Reveal hidden contents

if the whole NK storyline is completely left alone after this I’ll be annoyed really. As has been said previously all the hype, mystery, etc around the white walkers deserves a far more important ending. In previous years the show runners have spoken about there being one final ‘wow’ moment left in the series, I hope we haven’t just had it in that episode. Though it does feel as if that part of the story is fully over.

Honestly don’t know how to feel about it all lol I need to rewatch it again and soak it all up.

Hugely intrigued by Ep.4 now. Cersei is in my top 3 so I hope the show can do her justice at least. They’ve got work to do to save this but the potential is still there. [spoiler/]

There’s over four hours left yet. It’s not gonna take that long for one more battle with Cersei. There’ll be loads more to happen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

There’s over four hours left yet. It’s not gonna take that long for one more battle with Cersei. There’ll be loads more to happen.

I imagine that time will be filled with Jon/Dany conflict, the North vs Cersei and the Aftermath of the North vs Cersei. Hard to see another big twist in there but still very interested to see where it all goes [spoiler/]

I really enjoyed it, more deaths would have been better but it was damned good after viewing it a second time, will not spoil it for those that have not seen it yet but shout out to little bear, balls bigger than the whole Arsenal squad:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

I really enjoyed it, more deaths would have been better but it was damned good after viewing it a second time, will not spoil it for those that have not seen it yet but shout out to little bear, balls bigger than the whole Arsenal squad:D

Just watched the last 15 minutes again myself actually. Hundred times better now i've got my head round it a bit and taken my own expectation in terms of plot out of the equation 

• Like 1

There is still the possibility to pull this around and make sense as to why the NK was there and why his attention was on Bran and Bran alone.  Hopefully we'll get some closure with Bran in the next couple of episodes - a past/future vision, a flashback, warg-ing into someone, something, anything to make sense of why the NK was there. 

To leave it where it is right now is unacceptable.

To the rest of the episode, enjoyable, I thought it was great.  Both dragons are alive and well (and Ghost!) as seen in the episode 4 trailer.

• Like 1