Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

2 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

The tale of 2x mismatched people and their journey through life. That touched on life topics such as mental health, class, bullying, suicide and sex.

dunno how you got all of that out of two people shagging, then her crying, then him shagging her to make her feel better, then her crying cos she shagged him, then him shagging her to make her feel better continuously for 12 episodes 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

The tale of 2x mismatched people and their journey through life. That touched on life topics such as mental health, class, bullying, suicide and sex.

Just finished it - and that seems to get pretty close.

I'd add: 2 essentially very well matched people who somehow became mismatched - a lot to do with fvcked-up family & adolescence messing with self-esteem in her case, I'd say.

Not sure what his excuse was for consistently messing stuff up and ending up in miserable dilemmas inbetween episodes of shagging the woman of his dreams. :D 

Individual identity, status, self-esteem & how it all feeds into relationships & potentially fvcks them up....

I'd say that was a really good series......but completely fvcking unsuitable viewing for the current miserable lockdown circumstances. Too much misery already!

I must be a complete idiot. I chose that for TV viewing and "Robinson Crusoe" for reading...... Duh! Story of bloke who ends up in complete isolation! :frusty:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I dunno but the first series is only 6 episodes. I’m on season 2 which is ok but still not great and that’s 24 episodes! Worth just smashing through season 1 and getting it over with.

You aren’t selling this to me lol 

5 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Rick Steins Road to Mexico.

Im not particularly interested in Mexico but I just love Rick Steins style of presenting.

Yeah he seems very genuine and just loves it. What job he has too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

He’s very unassuming, sometimes a little clumsy, and as you say very genuine.

I started watching Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown the other week and it’s great because he’s quite similar 

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd add: 2 essentially very well matched people who somehow became mismatched - a lot to do with fvcked-up family & adolescence messing with self-esteem in her case, I'd say.

Not sure what his excuse was for consistently messing stuff up and ending up in miserable dilemmas inbetween episodes of shagging the woman of his dreams. :D 

Individual identity, status, self-esteem & how it all feeds into relationships & potentially fvcks them up....

I'd say that was a really good series......but completely fvcking unsuitable viewing for the current miserable lockdown circumstances. Too much misery already!

I must be a complete idiot. I chose that for TV viewing and "Robinson Crusoe" for reading...... Duh! Story of bloke who ends up in complete isolation! :frusty:

Pretty much same as you.

Not quite finished it but liked watching it so far, albeit with the repetitive nature of on/off relationship. But it's what comes alongside that which is the point of the whole series - the family dynamic and the pressures that come with it (for Marianne, with that arsehole of a brother) or difference between her and Connell's family (loving mother that cares the main difference).

I guess his excuse of constantly messing stuff up is part of the crowd he was in at school and then not being able to adjust once out of that and at uni. Lack of a father figure as well for Connell? I didn't get why he couldn't ask Marianne to stay at hers when he lost his job in the summer and after he got kicked out from his mates house.

The jump in uni years caught me off guard too. As if the writers/producers thought there's only so much uni stuff they can show. Before you know it they're 5 years in and graduating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I’ve read Robinson Crusoe 3 or 4 times, just love the story, my interest probably came from the old TV show they used to show through the summer school holidays back in the 1970’s. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 11:20, SecretPro said:

It was on Prime last I checked but you have to pay on top for it

That’s the one thing I find disgusting about prime video. You pay a subscription for a service, yet they still charge you to watch some of the stuff on there. And it’s not even the new stuff they put on it. I can’t believe that a huge number of subscribers haven’t complained about it tbh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stix said:

That’s the one thing I find disgusting about prime video. You pay a subscription for a service, yet they still charge you to watch some of the stuff on there. And it’s not even the new stuff they put on it. I can’t believe that a huge number of subscribers haven’t complained about it tbh. 

Yeah it's a sickener mate. Absolutely not on. A lot of the time it's the really good stuff that they charge extra for too, so you pay for a service that's only half decent and then have to pay again. I only have it because when I went back to Open Uni I signed up as a student so only pay £3.50 a month otherwise I wouldn't bother. Other than for the two city games I barely ever use it, at least as a tv service. 

On the final episode of Gangs of London, it’s gone all Prison Break and Michael Bay.  Good premise but the only way to advance the plot is with ever increasing, unbelievable violence. If it would have kept itself a bit more grounded rather than having mercenaries roaming London and double digit body counts every episode it could have been brilliant 

Just finished ‘Into the night’ on Netflix. Never thought I could get into anything with subtitles but if I’m being honest I quite enjoyed it. Had quite a few English parts in anyway and was pretty easy to get into, and storyline was ok. Don’t know if anyone else on here has watched it yet but looking forward to second series. 

21 hours ago, goody2028 said:

Just finished ‘Into the night’ on Netflix. Never thought I could get into anything with subtitles but if I’m being honest I quite enjoyed it. Had quite a few English parts in anyway and was pretty easy to get into, and storyline was ok. Don’t know if anyone else on here has watched it yet but looking forward to second series. 

It seemed to get better as it went along, a lot of plot holes but a very easy watch.

On 23/05/2020 at 20:48, Stadt said:

On the final episode of Gangs of London, it’s gone all Prison Break and Michael Bay.  Good premise but the only way to advance the plot is with ever increasing, unbelievable violence. If it would have kept itself a bit more grounded rather than having mercenaries roaming London and double digit body counts every episode it could have been brilliant 

It's probably worth knowing a little bit about Gareth Evans before watching Gangs of London as it's very easy to get the wrong expectations given how much gritty, "realistic" crime drama there is on TV these days. 

It's easy to look at it and expect something low key and shady like Gomorrah, Top Boy and the like. 

First and foremost Evans is a martial arts enthusiast who loves insanely over the top violent choreography. His Raid films are a couple of the best martial arts films of this century to date, they're so entertainingly brutal. 

It didn't take long for that to come out in GoL. Wasn't Elliot's pub dart rampage the first episode? I mean it starts with a guy being lit on fire and thrown off a building. 

The body count throughout is insane, London's murder rate would have to go through the roof, haha, let alone the the Danish swat team and their countryside rampage. 

lol

I enjoyed it tbf, it was fun. The story was a bit naff and it requires some suspension of disbelief but as an action piece it was terrific. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's probably worth knowing a little bit about Gareth Evans before watching Gangs of London as it's very easy to get the wrong expectations given how much gritty, "realistic" crime drama there is on TV these days. 

It's easy to look at it and expect something low key and shady like Gomorrah, Top Boy and the like. 

First and foremost Evans is a martial arts enthusiast who loves insanely over the top violent choreography. His Raid films are a couple of the best martial arts films of this century to date, they're so entertainingly brutal. 

It didn't take long for that to come out in GoL. Wasn't Elliot's pub dart rampage the first episode? I mean it starts with a guy being lit on fire and thrown off a building. 

The body count throughout is insane, London's murder rate would have to go through the roof, haha, let alone the the Danish swat team and their countryside rampage. 

lol

I enjoyed it tbf, it was fun. The story was a bit naff and it requires some suspension of disbelief but as an action piece it was terrific. 

Had never even heard of him tbh. Anything set in the UK with lots of almost certainly unobtainable guns puts me off as well, it’s a decent enough watch but it just gets eye roll-ier with every episode. I’ve never watched the Wire but I get the impression that it avoids being overtly fanciful, I think I was hoping for a steely series on London’s underworld a bit more like that  

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

Had never even heard of him tbh. Anything set in the UK with lots of almost certainly unobtainable guns puts me off as well, it’s a decent enough watch but it just gets eye roll-ier with every episode. I’ve never watched the Wire but I get the impression that it avoids being overtly fanciful, I think I was hoping for a steely series on London’s underworld a bit more like that  

Yeah that's sort of what I'm saying, it's about your expectations going in. 

The Wire sets out to be one of the most realistic, complete portrayals of crime in a city ever made for TV. 

Gangs of London is an action thriller set in London, its not really meant to be realistic or low key on any level. 

Didn't have particularly high hopes for The First Team but had half an hour to kill and fancied something light last night. Genuinely wish I hadn't bothered, one of the least funny things I've ever watched. Will Arnett was the only saving grace but he was only in it for all of a minute. Just really ****ing terrible. 

• Like 1

Rewatched The Boys last week and delighted to find I enjoyed it just as much as I did first time round. 

Also last night's episode of Have I Got News For You was fantastic and one of its best episodes of the last few years.

Just started with South Park again, straight from Season One, Episode One.

It's funny when you notice the initial, relatively crude approach to animation or when you finally pick up on some of the nuances.

Wendy Testaburger's name makes much more sense now.

In "Cartman gets an anal probe", at around the 9:32 minute mark, you can see one of Trey Parker or Matt Stone's hands for a millisecond.