Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On 23/06/2020 at 08:35, STEVIE B said:

Watched 3 series of This Country on iPlayer.

Absolutely brilliant. It bypassed me when on tv somehow.

Kerry’s mum shouting from upstairs in most episodes is genius television. Comedy gold.

Watch some of the deleted scenes and bloopers they are absolutely brilliant. 

Kerry's mum is actually Kerry's voice to. 

• Like 1

Just finished Noughts and Crosses - based on Malorie Blackman's alternative history series where Africa invaded Europe 700 years ago, and modern day Britain is called Albion, with full Jim Crow style segregation laws and indigenous white people are second class citizens.

I mostly enjoyed it. I didn't like some aspects of the story (star-crossed lovers cliches) but as someone who's spent a lot of time in Africa and loves African culture, I quite liked the world and hoped to see more of it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just finished Noughts and Crosses - based on Malorie Blackman's alternative history series where Africa invaded Europe 700 years ago, and modern day Britain is called Albion, with full Jim Crow style segregation laws and indigenous white people are second class citizens.

I mostly enjoyed it. I didn't like some aspects of the story (star-crossed lovers cliches) but as someone who's spent a lot of time in Africa and loves African culture, I quite liked the world and hoped to see more of it. 

I remember reading the books way back when - a darkly fascinating look at how things might have played out if the roles of colonisation had been reversed. The show was a decent depiction of it IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I remember reading the books way back when - a darkly fascinating look at how things might have played out if the roles of colonisation had been reversed. The show was a decent depiction of it IMO.

Does she explore the wider world of Albion in the books or is the whole thing London centric? I liked how some things had played out differently but I found myself distracted by some of the things that survived 700 years of alternative history.

Started watching the new Penny Dreadful - City of Angels. Watched a few episodes and i'm hooked.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10361016/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Its similar to the 1st one whereas there is supernatural stuff going on, lots of gore/violence and some sex. Im enjoying the way the show is going its not boring and there is some great character development going on especially from Natalie Dormer, who plays several characters. 7/10 from me so far and 5 episodes in :D 

Wtf there's a new Penny Dreadful???? How!? 

Edit: think I saw an advert for that earlier and didn't realise it was for two different shows at once, thought it was all for Perry Mason and assumed that had a paranormal twist to it. 

I like Natalie Dorma but I thought from first glance at the trailer that looked crap ngl. 

The whole point and appeal of Penny Dreadful was the low key, low fantasy Victoria English setting. You can't set something in the golden era of Hollywood and call it the same thing. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Wtf there's a new Penny Dreadful???? How!? 

Edit: think I saw an advert for that earlier and didn't realise it was for two different shows at once, thought it was all for Perry Mason and assumed that had a paranormal twist to it. 

I like Natalie Dorma but I thought from first glance at the trailer that looked crap ngl. 

The whole point and appeal of Penny Dreadful was the low key, low fantasy Victoria English setting. You can't set something in the golden era of Hollywood and call it the same thing. 

Was dubious when i saw the advert, but gave it a whirl and like i said totally hooked after a couple of episodes. Acting is good and so far so good with the story. Quite a few diff routes going on 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Does she explore the wider world of Albion in the books or is the whole thing London centric? I liked how some things had played out differently but I found myself distracted by some of the things that survived 700 years of alternative history.

TBH the books are more character than location driven, though I can see why they would try to build the world more in the TV show.

Speaking personally as someone who thinks empathy is key to understanding, reading a book depicting a scenario where you are the second-class citizen in an entirely plausible way is a good way of examining just exactly how that would feel and so leads to greater understanding of just how it would feel for an "other" group, too. Of course, the folks that need a dose of that empathy (the "we were never asked" crowd) are not likely to wish to consume such media anyway and will remain in their bubble, which is sad.

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Would you rank either of 2 or 3 higher than 1? 

I've seen 1 and half of 2 and thought 2 was meh. 

3 is as good as 1 I would say. 

2 isn't a good series at all it nearly put me off watching 3 but glad it didn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

3 is as good as 1 I would say. 

2 isn't a good series at all it nearly put me off watching 3 but glad it didn't. 

I really, really like Carrie Coon, obviously the set up with the boy was curious and the strange cult thing got me interested. 

But within a couple of episodes, yeah, I was just bored. 

1 is absolutely fantastic though. Credit especially to Jessica Biel who is sensational.