Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Leicester City

First viewing of City this season, in fact the first since Barnsley (away) last season. This is such a Pearson team: terrific back 4, great work ethic throughout the side, slick passing football (not always synonymous with NP, in his previous reign) and a clearly united squad. In 12 months the guy has achieved so much, laying foundations for continued success. The team continue to surprise - Waghorn, Schlupp and Whitbread were all brilliant today yet a few weeks ago they were nowhere as we went on the winning streak. With Pearson at the helm a great deal is possible.

Deserved win, not our best performance but again we were organised and scored two superb goals.

The centre midfield pairing once again controlled their area, our defence was solid throughout and the support from the fans was fantastic.

Huge win, another clean sheet (8th from 18 games this season) and our goal difference is excellent. Well done to all :scarf:

Unlucky? Thought it was a bad miss!

Don't like doing it but couldn't agree more Bert - free header from inside the 6 yard box and didn't hit the target

Know I'll get slated but I thought overall Marshall was average at best - however, he's not going to find his form sat on the bench so it was a brave decision by Pearson which looked liked it may have backfired until he scored a beauty - he's about 75% of the way there which is great to see so hope he gets back to his best soon

"Is there a fire drill" sung by 4000 City fans was pure quality by the way

Joint best defence in the league with Brighton, only 1 goal conceded in open play in the last four.

The away form is improving compared to last year as well only lost one in the last six.

Just got in from the boozer. Been there since 12 so hope I'm not developing a problem.. lol

Great win City!

Third in the league and looking very strong!

Can't believe Millwall at 6th!! That will be a tough game.

Fantastic professional performance Col, the firm of Solicitors Morgan & Whitbread were immense, the Accountants Drinkwater & King were imperious and Waghorn & Vardy ran channels linked up and held up fantastically and both should or could have had goals too. Schlupp is giving NP a right headache and Konch must be worried! Great to see Ben looking more like his best cracking goal and so close to a second. Lloydy quieter than last few but still a threat an De Laet looks better week by week. Whitbread btw for all the moaners was solid and quality and did one unbelievable piece of skill.Last but not least our fans were immense :chant::scarf:

Good win today. Looks like they are all hitting form together. Let's hope it will last a few games before one or two drop off as all players do at some point. Just don't want them doing it all at the same time. But confidence is high, fitness is high and spirit is high. Purrfect. Miow.

For some reason when I got up I was thinking City were playing Derby at KP at 5.30pm. Looking down TV schedules to check. I know now Derby played at that time. Must have misheard on TV or sometwhere.

Don't like doing it but couldn't agree more Bert - free header from inside the 6 yard box and didn't hit the target

Know I'll get slated but I thought overall Marshall was average at best - however, he's not going to find his form sat on the bench so it was a brave decision by Pearson which looked liked it may have backfired until he scored a beauty - he's about 75% of the way there which is great to see so hope he gets back to his best soon

"Is there a fire drill" sung by 4000 City fans was pure quality by the way

He scored one and set up the other. What more could he do?!

Good away win, can't think of a single clear cut chance that they had.

I thought that Drinkwater and King were superb in the middle and when they're on song we can dominate midfields with class and composure instead of brutality. Drinkwater especially was MOTM for me, lovely angled finish for the first after some neat work.

Defensively we looked solid. I was disappointed to see the back of Bamba and assumed that Peltier left for financial reasons but Pearson clearly knows how to build a solid defence, credit to him. Whitbread was better than he has been, won quite a lot in the air but there was one point where he nearly got needlessly caught on the halfway line - does always look like he might have a mistake in him.

I thought Schlupp might not have made it through the 90 minutes after that stupid, stupid yellow card. He needs to learn that if you're playing in a back four you can't casually pick up a silly booking for something like that. It left him on a tight-rope for the rest of the match. With Konchesky on the bench there's a reliable replacement wanting his shirt back.

Waghorn was excellent again, gutted that his effort wasn't a little lower.

Marshall I thought was very average but credit to him for a goal and an assist.

One final point I want to make is Vardy. I've really backed him up until now and I like his workrate, his desire and his effort. And we've seen that he can finish and nick goals too. But at the minute every time a chance opens up for him he takes an age. A couple of times today things dropped for him and he took way too long to get a shot away until the opening had closed. Someone needs to have a word and tell him that he doesn't get so long at this level. Some of his runs and areas that he positioned himself weren't too clever either so perhaps some positional work. He's got his chance late, and there's potential there, but at the minute he looks like he's struggling a little.

Just got back - have done four games on the trot for the first time since 2003 and can say that we were very good today.

I liked the approach we took. On the face of it putting in Marshall in place of Knockaert didn't make sense (to me, at least) because he was awesome against Ipswich before he came off. However, Marshall did his job and his movement off the ball - both when we had the ball and defending - was pretty special to me. Wednesday were forced to play it direct all afternoon as they were limited to options when they had the ball.

We, on the other hand, player it around nicely and in my mind it was a perfect away game. We bossed it after a bit of a slow start (expected away I guess - tentative etc.) and we didn't seem to be i a hurry with the ball. Once Danny scored I thought we'd be good for the 3 points, I really did. I was sitting with home supporters and they were telling me how, once Wednesday go down a goal, they never recover. And they were right.

Despite that, I was obviously on tenterhooks until Marshall got the second - but we deserved it.

Great result as we really need to be winning these kind of games comfortably. And in my mind that was this was - a comfortable win. Had I been a neutral observer I would not have doubted the end result at any point after Danny scored.

Being a Leicester supporter, however, and having witnessed what I have in the past 20 years, I couldn't relax until I sat for a pint after the game!

Can't sleep, bloody headache. May as well stay up now until it goes!

Anyways, despite the form book this was still a somewhat unexpected win - given our record against teams near to the foot of the table over the past two seasons....and to be more particular on this occasion, given our poor record at Hillsborough! Although we've evaded each other at times in some of the seasons since, I do believe this was our first win there since Cottee's clincher on the Boxing Day fixture of 1998 without looking it up! All looked good, movement wise, within the team from the highlights on FLS. Great to see Ben Marshall back to form, even though the opposition wasn't great and a classy strike from DD! :)

After the Ipswich demolition last week, plus our recent victories over Bristol City and Peterborough - and now this against Wednesday - then it seems that we are really going places this season when seeing off these lowly sides, as well as still being able to save our better stuff against the top sides.....Palace aside of late of course. Let's now hope we can round off a decent month on the whole and make Leeds our next victims on Tuesday at their place - and that we don't then embark on a repeat of last December (no wins!), which was of course a month that looked easy on paper and had everyone talking it up - but one which yielded us something like 3 points from a possible 18! Even if that were to happen again though (which I don't think it will), you get the feeling this team is much more capable of turning it round after any would be blips, compared to the disjointed team we had a year ago!

Just got back - have done four games on the trot for the first time since 2003 and can say that we were very good today.

I liked the approach we took. On the face of it putting in Marshall in place of Knockaert didn't make sense (to me, at least) because he was awesome against Ipswich before he came off. However, Marshall did his job and his movement off the ball - both when we had the ball and defending - was pretty special to me. Wednesday were forced to play it direct all afternoon as they were limited to options when they had the ball.

We, on the other hand, player it around nicely and in my mind it was a perfect away game. We bossed it after a bit of a slow start (expected away I guess - tentative etc.) and we didn't seem to be i a hurry with the ball. Once Danny scored I thought we'd be good for the 3 points, I really did. I was sitting with home supporters and they were telling me how, once Wednesday go down a goal, they never recover. And they were right.

Despite that, I was obviously on tenterhooks until Marshall got the second - but we deserved it.

Great result as we really need to be winning these kind of games comfortably. And in my mind that was this was - a comfortable win. Had I been a neutral observer I would not have doubted the end result at any point after Danny scored.

Being a Leicester supporter, however, and having witnessed what I have in the past 20 years, I couldn't relax until I sat for a pint after the game!

+1 for tenterhooks and not tenderhooks.

Archived