Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
iamafox

Watford gameplan

As we've seen this season, Watford have scored a lot of goals, enough to be the 2nd highest scorers in the Football League. We have to be wary of their attacking prowess, they'll make us defend deep into our half and put us under pressure from the start.

As we've seen this season, Watford have scored a lot of goals, enough to be the 2nd highest scorers in the Football League. We have to be wary of their attacking prowess, they'll make us defend deep into our half and put us under pressure from the start.

No. We need to get at them first 20 mins. Keep them in their half, throw everything at them. Games like Derby at home or Huddersfield at home we've done that and torn teams to shreds. A long time ago I know but has worked for us more often than not

Sitting back would be suicide. If we let them get into a rhythm and put us on the back foot we'll struggle. That was our problem the other week.

We need to attack and put them under pressure, as soon as we started doing that at Forest we were the better side.

If Pearson hasn't learnt that we are at our best when we're positive by now then he never will.

Agree with being positive from the start but our midfield has to be extremely alert to them breaking on the counter attack, that's when they could do the most damage to us, how king and James play in these 2 games is vital

Batter their keeper early on. If it's Almunia force him to repeat the hamstring injury; if it's the kid Bonham, well, you have to be cruel to be kind. Aerial bombardment!

Two players we have to keep out of the game as much as possible, are Abdi and Chalobah.

Let them get on the ball too often, and let them pass it and link with their team mates then we will be fooked.

Stop them two playing, we have a chance.

Go at them and play our usual game. Confidence has been lacking but technically we're as good if not better than them.

For all the drivel about them murdering us on the break, we only conceded from a shit cross and a one off wonder goal. They were just wasteful on the counter.

If we're clinical and at our best we could finish them off before the away leg. (okay, that's a bit over-confident.)

What made me laugh about their fans saying they'd kill us if we attacked and only stand a chance if we shut up shop and frustrated is that the ignorant muppets were unintentionally describing us all season.

We were completely overrun in midfield for the last game against Watford. If we only play two players there, our passing and ball retention as a team will need to be very good.

Also, the first goal can always make a big difference. It would be interesting if we did get that, to see if we could push on as a team and still create chances. Watford have been a difficult team to play against once we go a goal behind.

Got to get straight at them for me. Freeflowing, attacking football. I read that Bond has gone away to get a face mask put on, so I'd like to see us put him under immense pressure as well - long shots, lots of crosses etc.

We need to be going into the second leg with a two/three goal lead imo.

There is a reason Watford have the best away record in the league, because they are deadly on the counter when teams play an attacking game. I would play 3 in the centre and try and soak up pressure, letting them have possession in there own half. If we go out with a gung ho approach at home we could easily lose by 3 or 4.

No. We need to get at them first 20 mins. Keep them in their half, throw everything at them. Games like Derby at home or Huddersfield at home we've done that and torn teams to shreds. A long time ago I know but has worked for us more often than not

Absolutely. Trying to defend against teams that are very good at attacking is suicide. Often said teams aren't so great when the ball's in their half; often they don't need to be since the best defence is a good offence. What you need to do then is press them and push them back by attacking.

They don't like it up 'em!

Attack attack attack,

Get into em!

Pressure, pace, tough challenges, give them no time on the ball, in front of a very big and noisy partisan crowd.

That's the way we'll beat them IMO and I hope Pearson drums this into the players.

We need to get a decent lead because I think they will do exactly the same thing to us at Vicarage Road.

This IS NOT the game to worrying about the opposition. Lets play our own game and just give them nothing.

Sitting back would be suicide. If we let them get into a rhythm and put us on the back foot we'll struggle. That was our problem the other week.

We need to attack and put them under pressure, as soon as we started doing that at Forest we were the better side.

If Pearson hasn't learnt that we are at our best when we're positive by now then he never will.

This

From the weather forecast, it sounds as if there'll be some wind and light rain around....all the more reason to take plenty of shots and put in plenty of crosses, whoever their keeper is. Even if Almunia or Bond is back and passed fit, there could be some hesitancy about diving or leaping into goalmouth melees. If the 3rd choice kid is playing, he should be put under maximum pressure - though reports suggest either Almunia or Bond will make it.

I agree with most other contributors: we need to get on the front foot. Watford's strength lies in their ability to control and use possession, and they have a number of players with the ability to finish. At a time when our creative play is improving again, but our defence looks a bit shaky, it would be suicide to sit back and let them control possession.

That said, there has to be some balance; not too gung-ho, as Watford are excellent on the break, as their away record this season proves. Try to control possession, move it around quickly and creatively, show good defensive organisation when required - and be prepared to mix it up: sometimes patient creativity, sometimes long-balls to Wood with others joining, sometimes fast breaks down the flanks.

Given our need to attack, but to get back quickly - and to deal with Watford's pace and threat down the wings - I'd be inclined to play Schlupp, not Konchesky at left-back. So, for me, probably the team that started at Forest.

A controversial idea for the 2nd leg: As Deeney will presumably be back, and our defence has looked dodgy in the air recently, I'd be tempted to play Whitbread (if remotely fit) instead of Keane, as he's definitely our best centre back in the air, even if his distribution is mediocre and he's prone to the odd gaffe....bet that one will go down like a lead balloon!

Archived