Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

41 minutes ago, Parafox said:

This is true. People denigrate the north west of the county for being "Coalville" but actually the countryside in that area is quite beautiful. The countryside around the south is also lovely, Market Harborough and the areas around Foxton and Gumley. Lovely places to walk. We might not be the Derbyshire dales or the southern Pennines but we are blessed with lots of very pleasant countryside which is well worth walking though.

If your looking to while away a couple of hours where you're wondering what to do or where to go, I'd recommend a walk around Foxton Locks, you'll be surprised if you haven't been there for a while. I my area, Hinckley/Bosworth, visit Sutton Wharf, a nice café with home cooked food next to narrowboat moorings and a pleasant walk along the canal through the woods up to the Bosworth Battlefield. Busy in the summer though.

I’ve done numerous walks including Foxton locks and Bosworth Battlefield, there are so many lovely villages dotted around the county, went to Shearsby yesterday, beautiful place, it’s also a good way of finding good country pubs! 

48 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

This post may be super harsh or snobby of me but I was in the city centre today and I felt the place was full of weirdos and crack heads. It didn’t have a nice friendly vibe at all. Particularly the area around the clock tower and haymarket. It was rank.

So the city centre has not improved since I started this topic.

The terribly ugly rectangular block buildings the council has seen fit to approve and the wanton demolishing of some very attractive builds coupled with people who think it’s ok to just drop their litter and spit out their gum is what makes it a dump.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 04:20, davieG said:

City council planners have recommended the project be allowed to proceed arguing the changes will ‘significantly improve the functioning and facilities’ at the cathedral bringing ‘substantial community benefits.

They say the existing song school does not make a significant positive contribution to the setting of the cathedral while arguing the HLC “will complement the church and surrounding buildings with a building that is architecturally distinct and visually interesting.”

0_Cathedral-Day1.jpg

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/113m-leicester-cathedral-revamp-been-2540194

Well I'm not religious but that is god "awful"

So you guys are going to build a Kaaba, for your ancient King’s remains, and attach it to an Anglican cathedral?

Kaaba.JPG.5b7a59d376d88ccc29d698b540456e21.JPG

That strikes me as daft and truly original.  Like good English comedy.

I still wouldn't classify it as a dump (and everywhere seems to have it's share of smack heads now, unfortunately) and you can enjoy a good day / night in Leicester pretty easily – but it definitely doesn't seem to have the same sense of community that (for example, because it's up the road) Nottingham does. You can walk around Hockley or the Lace Market and they're bright, vibrant areas full of independents, unique buildings modern and old, and people that seem to take a huge amount of pride in their city – same as the Market Square there. Even Sneinton is enjoying a revival. Of course, there are chains, but it feels like a place that has an identity, and a place where people want to spend their time and money.

Retail-wise it's a real shame that ultimately a fair few people in Leicester seem ****ing terrified of life outside the Highcross and I'd wager why most developments that pop-up seem to be flats or living spaces these days. The redevelopment of Fenwicks would fall flat on it's arse like the rest of Market St if anybody turns it into anything other than that which is such a pity. It's not as if Leicester's span is so wide that places aren't walkable. It feels like Market St (for example) should be an ideal place to thrive, it's central and plenty of roads lead to it, but it seems as if it's half-populated by empty units.

There are definitely decent areas for food / drink etc, around St. Martins Square is a fantastic pocket of town now – as, you could argue, is the area around the Curve but they shouldn't be such glaring, standout exceptions. Unfortunately every street that immediately comes off the Clock Tower (apart from Silver St and the High Street) is just an absolute mess.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I think we’re going to see a nice bit of gentrification on Frog Island and it’s probably gonna be a very cool place to be in a few years

Problem is the more they develop that area around and NW of Highcross the further the area from the station to and around the clock tower will suffer.

1 hour ago, Langston said:

There are definitely decent areas for food / drink etc, around St. Martins Square is a fantastic pocket of town now – as, you could argue, is the area around the Curve but they shouldn't be such glaring, standout exceptions. Unfortunately every street that immediately comes off the Clock Tower (apart from Silver St and the High Street) is just an absolute mess.

I agree but even St. Martins square has gone downhill a bit, a fair few vacant units, there’s that Norwegian craft beer place opening up soon but besides that  it’s lost that buzz it had round it a couple of years ago

29 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I agree but even St. Martins square has gone downhill a bit, a fair few vacant units, there’s that Norwegian craft beer place opening up soon but besides that  it’s lost that buzz it had round it a couple of years ago

Got to admit I hadn't even heard of this until your post, mate – hope it's done well and isn't gimmicky. What makes the Two Tailed Lion so good is the folk running it knowing their stuff. 3 cocktails on draft sounds a bit naff, mind.

I saw Salvador Deli on Queens Rd is closing which is a loss. Their sandwiches were up there with the best I've ever had.

I've always thought the location of the De Mont has never helped the city.

Imagine that same building and gardens slap bang where the horrific Haymarket stands - sucking in people 4/5 nights a week. Curve and showcase try to hold together the nighttime economy of the whole city.

Long term, the hope for the city centre is making it a place to live and becoming, essentially, a village centre. It never has been, or will be, a real city. That transition has started with the students and knitting frog island and the curve areas with it will help.

Once there are more dwellers, the market has again the chance to become a focal point. Adding far more cottage and craft and farmer produce for people who can nip out, walk 5 mins and use it for real rather than a.novelty

28 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've always thought the location of the De Mont has never helped the city.

Imagine that same building and gardens slap bang where the horrific Haymarket stands - sucking in people 4/5 nights a week. Curve and showcase try to hold together the nighttime economy of the whole city.

Long term, the hope for the city centre is making it a place to live and becoming, essentially, a village centre. It never has been, or will be, a real city. That transition has started with the students and knitting frog island and the curve areas with it will help.

Once there are more dwellers, the market has again the chance to become a focal point. Adding far more cottage and craft and farmer produce for people who can nip out, walk 5 mins and use it for real rather than a.novelty

You’re correct, Nottingham has the Royal Concert Hall and the Theatre Royal right in the city centre plus other music venues big and small, you can’t underestimate the draw of music. 

On 16/02/2019 at 21:49, SystonFox said:

This post may be super harsh or snobby of me but I was in the city centre today and I felt the place was full of weirdos and crack heads. It didn’t have a nice friendly vibe at all. Particularly the area around the clock tower and haymarket. It was rank.

Not too dis-similar to any other major city in the country at the moment. 

The city is letting itself down when independents keep closing down left, right and centre. Some bloody good unique businesses have closed in past six months. 

The problem is allowing this

PalaceTheatre.jpg

to be replaced by this

SiteOfPalaceTheatre.jpg

and this

TheatreRoyalFrontage.jpg

by this

SiteNow1.jpg

and this

2751864.jpg

Was originally the Temperance Hall

with this

TemperanceHallSite.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

On 17/02/2019 at 16:18, Langston said:

Got to admit I hadn't even heard of this until your post, mate – hope it's done well and isn't gimmicky. What makes the Two Tailed Lion so good is the folk running it knowing their stuff. 3 cocktails on draft sounds a bit naff, mind.

I saw Salvador Deli on Queens Rd is closing which is a loss. Their sandwiches were up there with the best I've ever had.

Shame about this isn't it. There's another deli opening up down the road so maybe they thought that would further dent profits. Owners are not necessarily selling up completely though so maybe a resturant or a bar will fill the unit.

• Like 1

Great post by davieG. I live on the edge of Leicester, but haven't visited the City centre for several years.  A ten minute drive down to Market Harborough is far easier and it has all the facilities I need - great shops, bank, library, dentist, auction house, railway station etc. 

• Haha 1

On 16/02/2019 at 21:49, SystonFox said:

It’s disgusting round there,bloke off his head on spice when I was with my kids the other week,I thought he was dying and rang an ambulance for him,police turned up and said it’ll wear off in half hour and that this is normal,

my wife’s from Nottingham and I’ve always been proud of my city but Nottingham is a better city centre hands down,

though I love the rural parts of my city

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 14:40, davieG said:

The problem is allowing this

PalaceTheatre.jpg

to be replaced by this

SiteOfPalaceTheatre.jpg

and this

TheatreRoyalFrontage.jpg

by this

SiteNow1.jpg

and this

2751864.jpg

Was originally the Temperance Hall

with this

TemperanceHallSite.jpg

I mean that's properly heartbreaking. All that history, wonderful architecture... The decision makers of the 50s and 60s have so much to answer for in turning vast swathes of the UKs towns and cities into a grey, dystopian mess.