Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MANFACE

Vardy.

We've got a funny knack of winning with him the side - despite him often looking pretty poor on the ball.

Because people seem to think football is all about amount of goals scored for a striker, amount of clean sheets for a defender and amount of tough hard challenges as a midfielder. football is about the best team, not the most gifted individuals or the ones with the coolest haircut.

Its no coicidence that when Vardy is in the team we do better. Making runs of the ball dragging defences over the place, pressuring off the ball causing mistakes from opposition, teamwork, positioning, understanding amongst alot of other trates are always un noticed by your average person.

Hes clearly not the most technically gifted footballer, but he is a good all round team player and understands the game well. Were a better 'TEAM' when hes part of it..more movement and brings the best out of the rest of the players.

Because people seem to think football is all about amount of goals scored for a striker, amount of clean sheets for a defender and amount of tough hard challenges as a midfielder. football is about the best team, not the most gifted individuals or the ones with the coolest haircut.

Its no coicidence that when Vardy is in the team we do better. Making runs of the ball dragging defences over the place, pressuring off the ball causing mistakes from opposition, teamwork, positioning, understanding amongst alot of other trates are always un noticed by your average person.

Hes clearly not the most technically gifted footballer, but he is a good all round team player and understands the game well. Were a better 'TEAM' when hes part of it..more movement and brings the best out of the rest of the players.

Very true.

Check the skills around 1:30 deffo improving as a player, I hope he can prove many wrong.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287693/video

If that was Beckford or the Yak our fans would have been getting all excited.

Meh, I don't see anything there that he wasn't capable of last season. His season petered out pretty soon last year and I still don't know why, it might be easier to get excited if we hadn't seen a false dawn already. I really want vardy to do well but I won't pin my hopes on him.

Meh, I don't see anything there that he wasn't capable of last season. His season petered out pretty soon last year and I still don't know why, it might be easier to get excited if we hadn't seen a false dawn already. I really want vardy to do well but I won't pin my hopes on him.

His season petered out after he picked up a few injuries around October/November time. That's when Waghorn stepped up for a month or so and then Wood came in.

Nobody should get carried away with him yet as he was just as lively at the start of last season, but if he stays fit and gains more confidence then he'll end up progressing. Whetehr he's good enough for a top 6 team is yet to be seen. Happy for him to be back in the mix though.

football is about the best team, not the most gifted individuals or the ones with the coolest haircut.

That's good then as Vardy definitely doesn't fall into that last category.

Someone made a good point in the Derby post-match thread that we don't always play to Vardy's strengths. Against Boro we were playing balls in behind their backline for JV to out-pace their defenders and run onto. He's not that comfortable getting the ball played into his feet but I guess he's going to have to improve that side of his game as teams will soon suss him out if he doesn't add a bit of variation to his game.

We've played 3 league games.

His attributes and his limitations appear the same as they were last season, until that first touch is improved he'll always struggle to be a consistent threat. That's not slagging him off, that's not 'hating' him it's simply expressing a fairly widely held opinion. If he can marry his hustle and bustle with greater composure then he 'might' one day be as good as Iain Hume.

Ouch

Excellent points made. You don't have to be the best footballer in the team to be a big contributor to its success. Vardy has been very effective in doing his job this season. Even when he doesn't score I'm happy with what he adds to the team.

We are only 3 games in and he is showing as much as he did last year without being anything special. However, he does look a bit more comfortable and I have always thought his runs and his constant movement proves problematic to opposition players, which should allow the other striker/s and some of our midfielders to exploit the space. This hasn't quite happened yet as we have lacked a little bit going forward, but it is no coincidence that we tend to win when he is in the team. As one poster said, he is probably the best option for the team as a whole. If he can show a bit more composure and a better first touch then he could become a real asset at this level. Looking back at the highlights, while it was a good save for his chance, I still feel as I did at the time when watching that he should have buried that 1 on 1. Hopefully that composure and touch will come with more games and more experience at this level. He has bags of pace and a top work rate, hopefully the more technical bits can come with time.

I tried to make the point the other day about chances to goals ratio.

Even Fryatt (actually one of City's most prolific strikers of recent times) used to convert about one in 3/4 chances he had.

To expect Vardy to get one sniff at goal and BANG! Score is unrealistic. Scoring goals doesn't usually work like that (unless you're very very good). Instead, the more chances a striker gets, at some point, he'll start converting.

Therein lies the problem for our forwards at present. The supply, or more pertinently, good quality supply is pretty lacking. We don't look like a side which goes forward with pace and real purpose. Until we do, our 'top scoring striker' will only just get into double figures.

I maintain, the issue is primarily supply, or lack of good supply in this team.

He's going the right way to proving me wrong and impressing me, but he's not there yet.

He's doing well, but 1 goal doesn't make everything rosy, it doesn't prove me wrong yet, the positive is that he is improving and pushing on, that is encouraging but i'd rather him be a Yakubu and 'only score goals' if I had the choice.

Like the playing well and not winning v playing poor and winning arguement, goals win games, playing well doesn't. Both would be wanted in an ideal world, but first and foremost I want goals and wins.

Take nothing away from the lad though, keep it up though Vardy, you're going the right way towards proving me wrong :thumbup:

Disagree - good all round ability - good with his head, has two good feet, makes intelligent runs, finds space for himself. Best striker at the club by miles, not because of the goals he scores, but because he has the ability to pull defences around and often is marked more closely than others, allowing more space for our other strikers.

Agree that he is the best striker at the club but he doesn't have too good feet and thats by his own admission. In fact, its the most frustrating thing about playing 3 central midfielders and three strikers when only 2 of them are competent (barely) on their left foot (Vardy and Wood). Slows down the overall play so much.

I think he's had a great start and I hope it continues. We have to remember he was injured and then seriously ill last season and as his game is based on workrate, speed and harrying defenders, there was no way he could be effective without that base level. I'm loving his attitude (PASSHUNN) at the moment and I certainly think it lifts the team. The odd thing is that even though we are winning, our balance doesn't look right. At the moment, we are winning so keep it up. Also, Nuge and Vards like to drift wide and in a 2 up top, quite often it is Nuge crossing to where he should be. I think that's why the 3 is working, even though it doesn't "feel" right.

I think I'm correct on this.

The issue is mainly SUPPLY. As soon as our strikers were given good quality supply, founded upon attacking at pace, they looked far more dangerous.

Pearson's side today looked pedestrian in the first half today. There was no width, no flair, we were running into blind alleys.

Finally, I'm now getting convinced we look a better side without Chris Wood in it. Vardy's pace is a real threat.

Archived