Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Banks

Gary Taylor Fletcher

Fat and lazy. It's all very well saying he can make some good touches (and he can) but he was never going to get the ball tonight. You can't be that passive against a side like this. It was pointless playing him, he's just too out of his depth to play the way he plays against Man City and the like.

Vardy on the other hand - he's probably got even less quality, but the guy works so hard and guess what, he earns the right to have the ball. He'll never be a Premiership player but at least at our level, he shows why he deserves to start. He looked so much more useful than GTF tonight.

I have to agree with others - having a good first touch is ok but, you don't bring strikers off the bench to have a good first touch do you? If we need a goal, I don't fancy seeing him come on.

I've seen some horrible responses to people criticising him on here; comments like 'if you don't get GTF then you don't really understand football'. In that respect he's a bit like any of Radiohead's output for the past fifteen years - adored by pretentious people who are determined to love it, but still ultimately rubbish.

I've seen some horrible responses to people criticising him on here; comments like 'if you don't get GTF then you don't really understand football'. In that respect he's a bit like any of Radiohead's output for the past fifteen years - adored by pretentious people who are determined to love it, but still ultimately rubbish.

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier. As usual, I was slated yet again for being one of the first ones to suggest that I saw GTF exactly for what he is. As in, not the answer. Same as Beckford.

When it was announced he got taken off, some fans went wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Says a lot, he has the odd good touch, but my word he is a lump of lard, so slow & crap.

Fook knows why we brought him in, waste of time and wages.

Tells you everything you need to know about Leicester fans' knowledge of strikers when Yakubu got slagged off to high heaven. Seems GTF is going the same way after starting 1 game against one of the best sides in Europe, who beat Bayern Munich last week and stuffed Arsenal on Saturday.

When it was announced he got taken off, some fans went wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Says a lot, he has the odd good touch, but my word he is a lump of lard, so slow & crap.

Fook knows why we brought him in, waste of time and wages.

hes only being paid in balti pies, so its cool.

Tells you everything you need to know about Leicester fans' knowledge of strikers when Yakubu got slagged off to high heaven. Seems GTF is going the same way after starting 1 game against one of the best sides in Europe, who beat Bayern Munich last week and stuffed Arsenal on Saturday.

Don't let reality get in the way! Some fans just love to moan :(.

I suspect people are taking the other 300-odd minutes of football he's played for us, and his twelve previous years as a professional footballer, the highlight of which was 20 or so games in a Premiership relegation season for Blackpool.

As for Yakubu, I seem to recall Steve Claridge (the forward who scored the two most important goals in our history) saying he 'didn't do nearly enough work up front for Leicester'. Which makes sense, seeing as we completely blew what seemed like a nailed-on play-off challenge in the final three months of his five month loan spell. But clearly I'm daft for agreeing with him.

If your going on tonights game then Knockaert is a pile of shit and Sunday League.

Thankfully most of us are sensible enough to judge a player on more than game and especially when that one game is against one of the best sides in the country.

Well said

I suspect people are taking the other 300-odd minutes of football he's played for us, and his twelve previous years as a professional footballer, the highlight of which was 20 or so games in a Premiership relegation season for Blackpool.

As for Yakubu, I seem to recall Steve Claridge (the forward who scored the two most important goals in our history) saying he 'didn't do nearly enough work up front for Leicester'. Which makes sense, seeing as we completely blew what seemed like a nailed-on play-off challenge in the final three months of his five month loan spell. But clearly I'm daft for agreeing with him.

Scored enough goals though didn't he?

I don't get why goal records are sacrificed for a 'hard-worker' or a 'run-around' striker in some fans' eyes. What wins you games? Goals or distance covered?

I don't get why goal records are sacrificed for a 'hard-worker' or a 'run-around' striker in some fans' eyes. What wins you games? Goals or distance covered?

Well that is circumstantial. It's not always the obvious answer you're suggesting.

Like I said above, look at the difference between GTF and Vardy. It wouldn't matter if GTF was the best finisher on the planet tonight; because he was never in the game. You need to earn the right to play and to get those chances for yourself.

Vardy may not be a finisher and no doubt that is a weakness, but he'll make the team play better and give the team a chance to score more goals.

And that's the point, it's not about the individual. It's a team sport, and how many goals the team scores is far more important than how many goals one player scores.

The idea that a striker only needs to score goals and if he has a decent goalscoring record he's massively useful to the team is far too simplified. People forget that for every game Yakubu was banging them in there was another where his laziness and poor play made us toothless in the final 3rd. And the proof is in the pudding - for all Yakubu's goals (all 11 of them in half a season - hardly several seasons of consistent goalscoring) the team faltered and eventually regressed.

For me, Yakubu was not a player who benefited the team in the long run.

That is why people are happy to sacrifice the goals of one player so that a team can do better as a whole.

Anyway, GTF isn't even a goalscorer.

Well he's not a very good example, is he? After all, his goals didn't win enough games for us to make the play offs. On the other hand our last three promotions from this league have featured 'hard-working' strikers (Speedie, Roberts, Walsh, Claridge, Dickov), albeit in the absence of renowned goalscorers like Yakubu.

So no he didn't score enough goals. Nor did he win us enough games.

He was huffing and puffing after 5 minutes, but if Vardy was 100% or Wood fit GTF wouldn't have started, he was playing very deep today and didn't really get in the game playing against one of the best centre backs in the world and Lescott one of the best English CBs. 

I think I would prefer to judge him playing against championship defences where he has looked useful coming on as a sub, rather than today.

I am so pissed off with Wood's injury. He'd have been straight in on Saturday for me.

We've got to have another go with him when he's fit (and when he's actually 100% fit rather than playing at half fit). Regardless of what I think of his all-round game, the bloke's scored loads at this level. You don't just turn shit overnight.

GTF is just not fast enough for the championship or higher. Unlike Yakubu who just sat in front of goal, GTF drops deep or too far out wide to bring others into the game. He then isn't quick enough to get in a goal scoring area himself in order to receive a ball. This coupled with the fact he can't jump for shit makes him not likely to score IMO he needs to go to a league with a slower game in another country or he'll rot in the free agent pool after this season

I just fail to see what he offers as a STRIKER. We need a prolific goal scorer upfront, not someone who can occasionally hold the ball up but cant score. I don't think Ive ever seen him have a shot. And yes he didn't get much service, but he needs to be able to create his own chances. Could you imagine GTF running from the half way line and scoring like vardy did the other week. Could you bollocks! He'd suffer a coronary by the time he reached the box.

The problem is that GTF is not an out and out striker and never has been.

He had a poor game last night ,as did others, discussing that in a thread about his contribution isn't singling him out.

Yes, it is. This is a thread just about him.

I'd like to know what specifically he did badly, over and above the likes of, say Drinkwater, who gave the ball away several times and mis-controlled it several times in the first half alone.

Yes, it is. This is a thread just about him.

I'd like to know what specifically he did badly, over and above the likes of, say Drinkwater, who gave the ball away several times and mis-controlled it several times in the first half alone.

There's a thread about Knockeart,Nugent and Vardy as well. People are discussing how he played last night, which is the point of the forum. 

I thought he had crap game but that doesn't mean he can't have a good game next time.

Archived