Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

England Cricket 2014.

Questions for the England fans here.

If, and at the moment seems like a big if, Cook wins the series with England, does he continue as captain or will it just be papering over the cracks once more? If he leads England to a test series win, has he proved himself or has the damage already been done? Will England look for a new captain whatever happens til end of August?

Questions for the England fans here.

If, and at the moment seems like a big if, Cook wins the series with England, does he continue as captain or will it just be papering over the cracks once more? If he leads England to a test series win, has he proved himself or has the damage already been done? Will England look for a new captain whatever happens til end of August?

Give me a credible candidate to take over and we'll talk, but at the moment apart from Broad in the T20s not a single person with a central contract has any captaincy experience.

Good point. Would that make Cook captain simply by default then? It's a pretty sad state for a country like England to get themselves in to when your captain is only your captain because there are no other suitable replacements.

Jimmy Anderson is the next most experienced for Test cricket? But I can't remember any bowlers in recent times who were decent captains for any country, let alone England.  

Good point. Would that make Cook captain simply by default then? It's a pretty sad state for a country like England to get themselves in to when your captain is only your captain because there are no other suitable replacements.

Jimmy Anderson is the next most experienced for Test cricket? But I can't remember any bowlers in recent times who were decent captains for any country, let alone England.  

Imagine Bell would be the only one in the frame for Test captaincy purely through experience/place in the side being nailed on.

Cook was always groomed for the captaincy but we have no alternative really. As they were saying on TMS we don't really groom players for captaincy terribly well. Partially because those on central contracts don't play enough fvcking cricket and don't get the chance to captain their counties!

Strauss skippered Middlesex first, granted. But Vaughan/Cook/Flintoff/Pietersen hadn't captained at county level before they led England as far as I'm aware?

Imagine Bell would be the only one in the frame for Test captaincy purely through experience/place in the side being nailed on.

Cook was always groomed for the captaincy but we have no alternative really. As they were saying on TMS we don't really groom players for captaincy terribly well. Partially because those on central contracts don't play enough fvcking cricket and don't get the chance to captain their counties!

Strauss skippered Middlesex first, granted. But Vaughan/Cook/Flintoff/Pietersen hadn't captained at county level before they led England as far as I'm aware?

Problem with Bell is that his form is shite aswell.

We'll just have the same scenario this time next year if he takes over but doesn't improve with the bat.

Problem with Bell is that his form is shite aswell.

Ironic that its the more senior batsmen who have been most disappointing.

Not going to rain today just have to hope for some sort of amazing rear-guard battle like against the Aussies in 2009 at Cardiff.

No test matches after this series until next May, surely Cook has to stay on until the end of the summer at least?

That's crazy, no tests all winter... 

You have to give Cook this series, but I would drop Cook from the one day squad, send him out to India/Australia/South Africa/New Zealand to play "county" cricket in the winter work with a good captain get his form with the bat back and make either Broad or Prior ODI captain see how they get on, or promote someone from the county circuit, an experienced captain to lead the One Day team and be promoted to the Test side to assist Cook, or maybe even replace him as captain.

Any candidates out there? Experienced county and one day captain who is good enough to play in the England Test side, preferably an opener or number 3.

Edit: Looking at the stats of the current captains out there, Andrew Gale or Daryl Mitchell fit the bill from a captaincy point of view, but I don't know if they are good enough cricketers. Mitchell has decent batting figures and can bowl in ODIs but I know very little about either of them other than the stats.

Archived