Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Youngy shunned by BBC

Read between the lines folks. He is p*ssed at the club not radio Leicester.That means it's the club that has put the pressure on to get rid of him. The Mercury and radio Leicester are firmly in the pockets of L.C.F.C, without city who would buy the Mercury or listen to radio Leicester ?

He made the mistake of not being bland enough and upset certain players that he constantly targeted. in other words he bit the hand that fed him. Be prepared for some for some slick radio one disc jokey replacement who will have no balls or passion for the club and will be frightened of his own shadow never mind criticizing when it's justified.

I would hope that who ever was responsible for this gutless decision feels personal shame but I doubt it.

So why didn't they get rid of Stringer when he was constantly fueling the Pearson out fire?

I heard from someone who works in the corporate boxes that Radio Leicester want Jobber to commentate.

Apparently he's friends with Stringer and RL want someone with passion & enthusiasm.

Fvck that!! That would be absolute dogshit.

Guest MattP

Gutted for him, lovely bloke and despite his problems with names etc he did care and was still better than the Pipers etc we had to put up with before.

Probably best to reserve judgement until the replacement is announced.

Jobber? If they did that lol

Gutted for him, lovely bloke and despite his problems with names etc he did care and was still better than the Pipers etc we had to put up with before.

Bloody hell I forgot about Piper.

Got a number of points on this

1. Radio Leicester's coverage of LCFC is embarrassing to the core and you literally cannot listen to the Monday Forum, which is full of absolute nothing. Callers are embarrassing.

2. I thought AY did well on the game commentary. Not really bothered that he got a few things wrong, it is better getting his view rather than someone like Neville Foulger who has limited knowledge of the game and it showed.

3. RL have made a change, it happens all the time and perhaps going with a little dignity would be a better option. Saying that this has damaged his relationship with the club and also having a go at someone he thought was his friend is not really a good move on his part. They are making a change, move on.

4. Good luck to him, but as he was on his backside when he took the job, there is a danger he will struggle. I personally wish him well.

I have alot of respect for Jobber and interesting to hear him on the footy forum sometimes but really co-commentator really needs to be somebody that has involved with the club either former player or manager. As i said before my guess is they'll go for Brian Little seeing as he managed Leicester in the premier league back nearly twenty years ago.

Another reason I think they given Al the chop was because he never like held back in his comments, sometimes he could be quite controversial, if thats the case, then its political correction gone mad again.

Facebook is hilarious, lets protest and my favourite let's sing big Al's name on the 9th minute.

Alan Young tbh is a lucky man to have that job in the first place, him and his liverpool supporting family can go back to supporting Liverpool now.

Never liked him. Didn't have the nostalgia angle to convince me to like him either. His commentary was awful, his opinions on the phone in often contradicted themselves and his inability to get players names right was ridiculous for an expert commentator.

I agree he was a lucky man. He did his job to a very low standard and couldn't get the basics right. In any other line of work, if you are under performing or getting basic things consistently wrong you are at a risk of losing your job, so why should he be any different?

Always liked him myself and feel for him losing a job that he obviously loved.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in though I'll only ever listen to the post match comments now there will be a stream for every game i can't get to.

Hmm, the guy is a bit of a tool tbf. Look at it from a corporate point of view from both the club and BBC viewpoint. We're prem league, he's not a prem league commentator/co-commentator. I admire his enthusiasim and dedicated but he was cringeworthy so many times over the last few years. Out with the old, in with the new.

More fool him if that was the only (low paid probably) job he had? he musn't have much about him really.

Because there will be so many streams available BBC are probably aware it could impact their listening ratings so are trying to bring in someone better at doing the job to try and boost them.

I'm just amazed how people feel sorry for him now after last few seasons the majority of this forum slated him on a weekly basis. It is awful for anyone to lose their job, especially at his age, but like 'blueonyou' mentioned if that was his only job other than his book then more fool him, as his commentary job hardly involved any hours.

Do feel sorry for him if he is gutted, at least he had some feeling for the Club. However from a professional point of view its a good call, he's an average at best co-commentator and sounds an absolute moron to boot, would have embarrassed us in front of PL listeners.

BUT - I definitely would agree that if one of him or Stringer had to get the chop then it should have been Stringer.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, he usually came across as somebody with a lot of heart and passion for the club still, but on the other, his lack of knowledge and his ramblings let him down.

For me, there's no point in getting on his back. He did a good job and I think BBC Radio Leicester could've made that statement a bit more elegantly and in more timely fashion (e.g. announcing it earlier, but still keep Young for another month).

Saddened by this...

Radio Leicester (and the link to Foxes Player's live game service) needs passionate local commentators to put their listeners match side.

Ian Stringer in my view is the perfect local sports broadcaster - possesses a combination of supporter passion, ball-by-ball excitement and professionalism. In my opinion he and Youngie worked well together as ex-player/fan and broadcaster/fan in tandem with a tad of tongue-in-cheek stuff thrown in.

Never been a fan of the BBC as an organisation. Leicester born & bred, I'm now living in South Shropshire, making it a tad difficult to get to games. I just hope RL have something VERY special lined up to keep us radio and Foxes Player subscribers interested enough to tune in this season, rather than the options of links to match day opposition's radio players .

Good luck Alan with whatever you do next ;o)

I think we should get kingfox as co-commentator.

Stringer: "Vardy's through on goal, oh JUST WIDE"

kingfox: "Well, Ian, if we'd signed Mai Dupplaya from Holland from £3.5 million he'd of scored that, no doubt. Swansea bidded for him, Pearson spent too much time going for Ulloa".

Yes, start a petition.

Never liked his commentary, was piss poor, getting players name's wrong, not describing anything well and whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion he was very 'over opinionated' and wouldn't accept or argee to disagree with other people.

However, it's never nice to see anyone out of a job, I feel sorry for him in that respect, but if he isn't doing the job well (Which imo he isn't) then it needs addressing and ultimately needs removing/changing.

I've heard he is abit of a cunt to people aswell. Bigheaded, e.t.c, I have no first hand experience of it so unfair of me to say that I suppose.

Alan was having a tough time personally before he got the job at Radio Leicester, i hope this does not set him back to far, remember seeing for the first time when he slotted 3 past us in cup game, looked good then and later came to us and was even better, I didnt hear him all that often on the radio as i would be at the game but thought he did ok, good luck for the future Alan, you are still a LCFC legend

I feel sadness of the nostalgic kind at Youngie's exit. We've gone through a lot in the last four years - as a club - and as somebody who can't make all the games, I feel like he's been there to experience all that "with me".

However, we all miss things that we lose suddenly but which, actually, on reflection, are rather shit. Like when I traded in my C-reg Fiesta 15 years ago. It was the very epitome of a bad car but yet I felt a twinge when it was no longer mine.

Youngie is a pretty terrible commentator but we all got used to him. In a year's time we probably won't even remember he once was the commentator.

Also, his comments in the Merc made me laugh.

“I will say now that I think I was damn good at my job, and I loved doing it."

No you weren't Alan. But we still love you and will miss you. In a way. For a while.

I feel bad for him but his actual knowledge and opinions are quite poor, his knowledge of the modern game isn't great and anything that he does know is based on what Jock Wallace did 30 years ago.

In all seriousness, I'd be pretty pissed off if Jobber did get the job. I've heard hes a decent guy, but there seems to be a distinct case of elite fan syndrome surrounding him. At the end of the day, hes no more of a fan than any of us. They only difference is he has a giant hideous LCFC tattoo on his back and he bangs a drum. Hardly makes him worthy of replacing a former player on the radio does it. I think Alan Young always showed great passion and enthusiasm for the club and it came across on the radio, despite his minor flaws. You only have to look at Forest away when we scored and he got nearly got filled in by forest fans for celebrating so wildy. The whole thing just seems very unsavoury in if you ask me.

In all seriousness, I'd be pretty pissed off if Jobber did get the job. I've heard hes a decent guy, but there seems to be a distinct case of elite fan syndrome surrounding him. At the end of the day, hes no more of a fan than any of us. They only difference is he has a giant hideous LCFC tattoo on his back and he bangs a drum. Hardly makes him worthy of replacing a former player on the radio does it. I think Alan Young always showed great passion and enthusiasm for the club and it came across on the radio, despite his minor flaws. You only have to look at Forest away when we scored and he got nearly got filled in by forest fans for celebrating so wildy. The whole thing just seems very unsavoury in if you ask me.

Jobber has stated on twitter he has no idea where this came from.

Archived