Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Stoke Post Match Thread - 0 - 1

Only gotten round to posting about yesterday now so here goes.

Great day yesterday, big performance and statistically not a place we could have reasonably expected to win, although I had a feeling we might. Fans were great, the concourse before and after the game was brilliant.

Agree we were crap first half, but let's not pretend Stoke weren't as well, because they were crap too. Second half I think we were the better side, looked more dangerous and creative. I can't believe we didn't get a penalty when Ulloa got crunched by 2 defenders, stonewall for me. Ref didn't do too badly I thought, pretty even, though the lino in front of us wasn't giving us much.

Cambiasso, fvck yeah. The class is still there. The touch, his vision, and he can deliver a dead ball too. Loved seeing him telling people what to do in the last 10 minutes when we were under a fair bit of pressure. Think he will really make a difference this season.

Hamer did well, although his kicking is dreadful. How many times did he just boot it out of play? However he is good with crosses and corners, made a few good saves and one very good save in the second half. Well done to him. 

Morgan and Moore - Immense. LM turning into a very, very good footballer. Konch and De Laet did very well too.

Nuge played well I thought but again didn't really offer any goal threat. All-round contribution was there though so I suppose that's the most important thing.

Leonardo - love the guy. He is class.

Great performance and fantastic result, well done to all involved. Onwards and upwards!

Big thanks to stevebrock off here who sorted me out with a ticket as well, really nice chap.

Only gotten round to posting about yesterday now so here goes.

Great day yesterday, big performance and statistically not a place we could have reasonably expected to win, although I had a feeling we might. Fans were great, the concourse before and after the game was brilliant.

Agree we were crap first half, but let's not pretend Stoke weren't as well, because they were crap too. Second half I think we were the better side, looked more dangerous and creative. I can't believe we didn't get a penalty when Ulloa got crunched by 2 defenders, stonewall for me. Ref didn't do too badly I thought, pretty even, though the lino in front of us wasn't giving us much.

Cambiasso, fvck yeah. The class is still there. The touch, his vision, and he can deliver a dead ball too. Loved seeing him telling people what to do in the last 10 minutes when we were under a fair bit of pressure. Think he will really make a difference this season.

Hamer did well, although his kicking is dreadful. How many times did he just boot it out of play? However he is good with crosses and corners, made a few good saves and one very good save in the second half. Well done to him. 

Morgan and Moore - Immense. LM turning into a very, very good footballer. Konch and De Laet did very well too.

Nuge played well I thought but again didn't really offer any goal threat. All-round contribution was there though so I suppose that's the most important thing.

Leonardo - love the guy. He is class.

Great performance and fantastic result, well done to all involved. Onwards and upwards!

Big thanks to stevebrock off here who sorted me out with a ticket as well, really nice chap.

Thought the same in real time, but seen it several times on Sky and I have to say think the ref got it spot on.

So out of boredom you decided to compare the cost of our midfield with QPR's?  Why?  There are 18 other teams in the Premier League.

People on this forum need to get over the obsession with QPR. 

Both us and QPR have made the cut to the top flight simultaneously, so a comparison of the two newly-promoted teams is always in order. Especially given the fact that they spent loads more money on players. It's still early doors, but you just have to look at how much disarray there is with Rangers. Granted, they were undone by a rampant Manchester United side today, but that doesn't take away from the fact that after four games, they still don't really have found their feet.

When you look at that talent they're buying on a regular basis and then you look at how they continue to disappoint on a sportive level, it is rather baffling.

There is no obsession with QPR, it's just the fact that few other promoted teams are in the same position as them, yet fail miserably every so often.

You'll excuse me if I continue laughing at those circumstances.

Both us and QPR have made the cut to the top flight simultaneously, so a comparison of the two newly-promoted teams is always in order.

I trust you are also working on a comparison of transfer budgets and player wages for Leicester vs Burnley then? I look forward to seeing it.

I trust you are also working on a comparison of transfer budgets and player wages for Leicester vs Burnley then? I look forward to seeing it.

Why? It's obvious they've spent less then us and aren't doing too well (at present).

I'm sure there's plenty of Burnley fans looking at QPR with the same attitude, expectations and astonishment.

cos dunno if you noticed but they played today. and got battered (again). and all the talk of last season and pre season this time around compared ourselves to them with everyone outside this board, including some on this board *cough col city cough* saying they were by far superior to begin with and after their INCREDIBLY GOOD AMAZING SUPERSTAR ARRY FANTASTIC transfer window they'd breeze this league and be looking back on us and burnley as we were already relegated come february with our players nobody had ever heard of. 

just thought it'd be interesting to see how good a wheeler dealer arry had been again this summer compared to the boring, not premier league class, journeyman that is nigel pearson. looking good so far. 

Realised we're not far off being able to put together an ok side of freebies / academy products (3-4-1-2):

Hamer

Moore Wasil Upson

Albrighton King Cambiasso Schlupp

Barmby

Nugent GTF

Right, having read a lot of opinions of the Stokies I need to highlight a couple of things to keep my sanity.

Firstly, I saw lots of mentions of us "coming with a plan and executing it, well done" or "parking the bus" or "11 men behind the ball". To me all these comments infer that we just came to defend for our lives and hope to grab a goal. Is it just me or was that not our intention at all? We didn't set out to defend against Everton or Arsenal at home and we certainly didn't just sit back and hope Chelsea didn't score at the Bridge, so why the hell would we go to the Britannia in fear of the mighty Stoke and want to stick 11 men in our box for the 90 minutes? For me, the answer is that we didn't come to "park the bus". As Pearson says, he will always set out his team to try to win the game and attack the opposition. I just think our complete inability to pass the ball in the first half, and being over-run in midfield, meant we ended up having to defend far more than we intended. Pearson clearly wasn't happy with the first half and so wasn't happy to just sit back and defend, hence he brought on two more CMs to help us control the midfield and the game more. 

Secondly, there is also this idea floating around that Stoke absolutely battered us and were unlucky to lose. We may have rode our luck a little but I'm unsure as to where these thousands of clear cut chances have come from. Sure, a few shots wide from outside the box make the stats seem nice and dominant (24 shots) but a total of 4 on target tells a different story! The only chances I can think of really are the Crouch header and the double save Hamer made at the end of the game. All the others were hopeful efforts and lots of crosses and corners into the box that were easily defended. Rarely did they get in behind or really make me fear that we were going to concede a goal at all. In fact I'd say Drinkwater's chance from our lovely passing move was as clear cut as Diouf and Moses at the end and that Hammond's long ranger was closer than any other shot in the game. They huffed and puffed but had very little, creatively, to show for it. In the end I thought we deserved something out of the game and had that clinical edge that will see us stay up comfortably. Especially with it being our poorest performance of the season.

I will also say that we managed it with, arguably, four of our best players not starting the game. Sure, if they had played it wouldn't have necessarily been any better. However, surely everyone can agree that Cambiasso, Drinkwater, James and Vardy can offer just as much, if not more, of a threat as Hammond, King, Nugent and Mahrez. The fact they seem to be saying we were the worst team to win at the Britannia in all their time in the prem does make me chuckle. We all know we have a good side who we think are more than capable of being a decent team in this league. We really have some talented players. It's just a shame other teams, like Stoke, seem to resort to bitterness and pathetic comments like this when they should be really looking at their own failings if they can't beat such a poor team as little old Leicester.

Oh I love it when we rile other teams! Especially the massive ones like Stoke for whom a decent proportion seem to have very very short memories. Victory is sweet and the knowledge that we can play far better and have far more room for improvement is even sweeter!

Right, having read a lot of opinions of the Stokies I need to highlight a couple of things to keep my sanity.

Firstly, I saw lots of mentions of us "coming with a plan and executing it, well done" or "parking the bus" or "11 men behind the ball". To me all these comments infer that we just came to defend for our lives and hope to grab a goal. Is it just me or was that not our intention at all? We didn't set out to defend against Everton or Arsenal at home and we certainly didn't just sit back and hope Chelsea didn't score at the Bridge, so why the hell would we go to the Britannia in fear of the mighty Stoke and want to stick 11 men in our box for the 90 minutes? For me, the answer is that we didn't come to "park the bus". As Pearson says, he will always set out his team to try to win the game and attack the opposition. I just think our complete inability to pass the ball in the first half, and being over-run in midfield, meant we ended up having to defend far more than we intended. Pearson clearly wasn't happy with the first half and so wasn't happy to just sit back and defend, hence he brought on two more CMs to help us control the midfield and the game more. 

Secondly, there is also this idea floating around that Stoke absolutely battered us and were unlucky to lose. We may have rode our luck a little but I'm unsure as to where these thousands of clear cut chances have come from. Sure, a few shots wide from outside the box make the stats seem nice and dominant (24 shots) but a total of 4 on target tells a different story! The only chances I can think of really are the Crouch header and the double save Hamer made at the end of the game. All the others were hopeful efforts and lots of crosses and corners into the box that were easily defended. Rarely did they get in behind or really make me fear that we were going to concede a goal at all. In fact I'd say Drinkwater's chance from our lovely passing move was as clear cut as Diouf and Moses at the end and that Hammond's long ranger was closer than any other shot in the game. They huffed and puffed but had very little, creatively, to show for it. In the end I thought we deserved something out of the game and had that clinical edge that will see us stay up comfortably. Especially with it being our poorest performance of the season.

I will also say that we managed it with, arguably, four of our best players not starting the game. Sure, if they had played it wouldn't have necessarily been any better. However, surely everyone can agree that Cambiasso, Drinkwater, James and Vardy can offer just as much, if not more, of a threat as Hammond, King, Nugent and Mahrez. The fact they seem to be saying we were the worst team to win at the Britannia in all their time in the prem does make me chuckle. We all know we have a good side who we think are more than capable of being a decent team in this league. We really have some talented players. It's just a shame other teams, like Stoke, seem to resort to bitterness and pathetic comments like this when they should be really looking at their own failings if they can't beat such a poor team as little old Leicester.

Oh I love it when we rile other teams! Especially the massive ones like Stoke for whom a decent proportion seem to have very very short memories. Victory is sweet and the knowledge that we can play far better and have far more room for improvement is even sweeter!

well said sir !

and as QPR showed u cant just sit back and defend in against the big names ... if you dont have a good plan and the right players in midfield to break up a strong attack AND counter well you cant get the results you need in the prem

we have both NP masters tactics and a great midfield group .. we will need them all on sunday

Archived