Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

35 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

About 2 hours later it wouldn't have been a problem, but I managed to find a bit of road where I had zero traction and managed to slide, inexorably into the back of someone with a nicer car than mine.

Felt like a right knob, especially as I was being really cautious and I'd gone home a different route to avoid the bits I knew would be dodgy and this was on the one part of the journey where I knew I'd have to be careful

Sorry to here that, hope there's not too much damage. 

Without wanting to sound puritanical (though probably failing),I guess there's a reason why they say keep 10x the normal stopping distance in icy conditions. Saying that I don't think I've ever kept 10x the stopping distance myself (if I'm honest 5x the stopping distance is probably pushing it, and probably largely impossible in traffic conditions nowadays). However, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people that still insist on driving right up my arse in driving rain, ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Sorry to here that, hope there's not too much damage. 

Only got to look at mine properly a couple of hours later, and couldn't believe there was no visible damage. The other guy reckoned there was none to his either but it was quite a whack.

My daughter was in her car seat in the back and she couldn't have given less of a toss so maybe it wasn't so bad

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

Only got to look at mine properly a couple of hours later, and couldn't believe there was no visible damage. The other guy reckoned there was none to his either but it was quite a whack.

My daughter was in her car seat in the back and she couldn't have given less of a toss so maybe it wasn't so bad

Glad to hear that no one was hurt or distressed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Without wanting to sound puritanical (though probably failing),I guess there's a reason why they say keep 10x the normal stopping distance in icy conditions. Saying that I don't think I've ever kept 10x the stopping distance myself (if I'm honest 5x the stopping distance is probably pushing it, and probably largely impossible in traffic conditions nowadays). However, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people that still insist on driving right up my arse in driving rain, ice and snow.

It wouldn't have been 10 x, but I'd left a pretty big gap (at least as big as everyone else I saw) and was only driving slowly. The incline did for me, I think

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It wouldn't have been 10 x, but I'd left a pretty big gap (at least as big as everyone else I saw) and was only driving slowly. The incline did for me, I think

Yeh, I can't claim to have never done it myself. It's a horrible feeling when you turn the steering wheel, or brake and literally nothing happens. It's probably only down to luck that on the odd occasion I've lost it, I've only ever slid ignominiously into kerbs rather than other drivers.

Had a slide myself yesterday at the peak of the snow.

Turned into a side street in my area and just went sliding on... can't have been doing more than 10mph but went bumping into the kerb. No damage by some grace of god to the front tyre or the bumper. Did get a glare from the old man oncoming in the side street. He was nowhere near me but felt it necessary to give me the death stare as if I'd tried to go round the corner at 40. :huh:

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Had a slide myself yesterday at the peak of the snow.

Turned into a side street in my area and just went sliding on... can't have been doing more than 10mph but went bumping into the kerb. No damage by some grace of god to the front tyre or the bumper. Did get a glare from the old man oncoming in the side street. He was nowhere near me but felt it necessary to give me the death stare as if I'd tried to go round the corner at 40. :huh:

I mentioned a similar incident in the "Snow" thread. First lot we had, before Christmas, I got into a slide across the road as I turned into my street, hit the kerb opposite and did £1200 worth of damage to suspension arms, brake disc and caliper (they had to replace both sets as they can't just replace one, apparently), wheel bearings and hub assembly.

Just driving back from work. I was driving up a dark avenue (loads of trees and minimal lighting) and I see a figure run across the road. And then I realise there's someone walking slowly across the road (well, jaywalking). I nearly hit the ****. His mate ran across the road (rightly so as there's traffic and looked back in horror I think). 

Just watched it back on my dashcam. He's come from the business across the road (presumably, finished work), slowly/purposely walked across the road to the shop.

Edited by Fox92

Guess who I drive a bus for? :) you dislike the prices yet First charge more. £15 for a weeks travel. I put £20 in my car getting to and from work, Add the insurance and tax I think you have it pretty sweet to be honest. £22 a week could get you to Burton and back as many times as you want so please explain how the prices are wank as you put it? As for the drivers yes im afraid some don't give 2 craps about you, I always say hello and thank you plus I let people sit down which is a rare thing from what I see. I would talk about the company's rights and wrongs but I would have a 1 way ticket to the job centre doing so. As something has clearly annoyed you have you contacted Arriva? as they take complaints seriously. You might even get a free week pass :thumbup:  

Another big crash at the Shearsby crossroads last night ...    thats the third I've seen in the last 12 months, and I'm sure that by the amount of debris at the side of the road I've missed a few ..     dangerous junction and all it takes is one prat and thats it.

2 hours ago, smallpauldj said:

Guess who I drive a bus for? :) you dislike the prices yet First charge more. £15 for a weeks travel. I put £20 in my car getting to and from work, Add the insurance and tax I think you have it pretty sweet to be honest. £22 a week could get you to Burton and back as many times as you want so please explain how the prices are wank as you put it? As for the drivers yes im afraid some don't give 2 craps about you, I always say hello and thank you plus I let people sit down which is a rare thing from what I see. I would talk about the company's rights and wrongs but I would have a 1 way ticket to the job centre doing so. As something has clearly annoyed you have you contacted Arriva? as they take complaints seriously. You might even get a free week pass :thumbup:  

The prices would be fine if it reflected the service. The service is shocking and it always seems to be the same routes that take the brunt. 49/48/47 is abysmal. They miss buses out constantly and then when you finally get on way half an hour after you should have you don't get anything from the driver to explain why they've left you standing in arctic conditions for 45 minutes. This has happened at least 5 times since Christmas alone and I've raised it with Arriva three times who said they would look into and never got back to me on each occasion. Twice now when I've been left waiting, only to get on a jam-packed bus with no seats left (because theyve had to pick up double the passengers) I've refused to hand over my ticket (ten trip) and just sat down. As most of the drivers have a couldn't give a shit approach they haven't even bothered to challenge me. I'm not paying for a service that I frankly don't get.

In contrast, First might be more expensive, but from the bus stop I use in the city I can see that they are always on time and from people I've spoken to this seems to be the case. Last night in the time it took me to get a 49, there were 2 88's and 2 88a's all on time from First so they can't even blame it on traffic. If first can get there on time and not skip buses out, so can Arriva. Unfortunately First do not run on my estate, so Arriva is my only choice, they probably know this is the case for many passengers and as a result take absolute liberties.

18 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

The prices would be fine if it reflected the service. The service is shocking and it always seems to be the same routes that take the brunt. 49/48/47 is abysmal. They miss buses out constantly and then when you finally get on way half an hour after you should have you don't get anything from the driver to explain why they've left you standing in arctic conditions for 45 minutes. This has happened at least 5 times since Christmas alone and I've raised it with Arriva three times who said they would look into and never got back to me on each occasion. Twice now when I've been left waiting, only to get on a jam-packed bus with no seats left (because theyve had to pick up double the passengers) I've refused to hand over my ticket (ten trip) and just sat down. As most of the drivers have a couldn't give a shit approach they haven't even bothered to challenge me. I'm not paying for a service that I frankly don't get.

In contrast, First might be more expensive, but from the bus stop I use in the city I can see that they are always on time and from people I've spoken to this seems to be the case. Last night in the time it took me to get a 49, there were 2 88's and 2 88a's all on time from First so they can't even blame it on traffic. If first can get there on time and not skip buses out, so can Arriva. Unfortunately First do not run on my estate, so Arriva is my only choice, they probably know this is the case for many passengers and as a result take absolute liberties.

I'm positive they used to take busses form the old 49a route / 47 / 48 routes, to fill holes on other routes if busses broke down.

Price wise I didn't think they were too bad really, so long as you bought a monthly pass. I'd never pay daily as it's a lot for a single journey.

Can't say I miss them since I past my test.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

Me.

I must have reversed onto my drive a thousand times and for whatever reason yesterday I completely ****ed it and scraped a brick pillar all along the side of my car. The rear quarter panel is badly scratched and theres a little dent in the door. Gonna cost me a shit ton. Switched off for a second, I'm so pissed off.

Anybody know any good body shops?

Edited by RonnieTodger

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Me.

I must have reversed onto my drive a thousand times and for whatever reason yesterday I completely ****ed it and scraped a brick pillar all along the side of my car. The rear quarter panel is badly scratched and theres a little dent in the door. Gonna cost me a shit ton. Switched off for a second, I'm so pissed off.

I used Auto Cosmetics in Wigston for bad bumper damage on my old car.

Thought it was going to cost a fortune- but it didn't - and they gave me a spare car or a few hours whilst they did the work.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Me.

Funnily enough I've literally just been to one that I was recommended by someone in the trade. Mine's going in on Monday but they did some work on my friend's Alfa and it was as good as new.

Leicester Autobody on Rydal Street (off Eastern Boulevard)

• Like 1