Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Charl91

Relegation

last season it was a fact that 2 points/game on average would get us promoted based on historic data, this season  im guessing 1 point /game average would see us safe or close to it, therfore based on my theory were about on target

Er,

The first 18 games are the start and the last 18 the finish then bergamot fox,

It's a term used more as a figure of speech

But it is how you finish,

Sunderland were testament to that last season,

Ain't rocket science Jeeves.

Still need to be in a position where a good finish can make the difference rather than starting too late. Witness reading 2009-2011...

Still need to be in a position where a good finish can make the difference rather than starting too late. Witness reading 2009-2011...

Or Derby in 07 - 08.

They would have had to win their last 11 games in a row to not get relegated. 

No need to panic just yet, but if we don't get anything from West Brom & Sunderland then fans like it or not, will have to admit that there's problems. 

Next two home games are massive, or by the end of November we could well be bottom of the league. 

Perhaps we are only going to get results in games where we have less than 40% possession ?

We need to feel as though we are 'in the Alamo' and then break fast. To do that requires only one up top. But it's not going to happen against the poorer sides because they are going to be more organised in getting behind the ball and denying us the space the break into.

We need a tactical formation against the 'lesser' sides as we are incapable of having good ball retention and creating chances out of it. (Moreso away from the KP)

How many saves have opposition keepers had to make against us recently, especially away from home.

We may get lucky this season in that there will be three sides (at least) that are worse than we are.

Too early to say that you can't see anything else. We aren't as shit as Newcastle, Burnley, QPR or Sunderland for me.

4 games in a row is very concerning though. It's one thing going 4 without a win, but 4 games where we've taken one point against a group of average-shit sides, hardly creating chances, drawing three blanks, after turning in one of the most staggering displays of the season is unreal. This has the potential to match what happened in February 2013.

The Man Utd game shod have seen confidence and belief ooze through the team but I think everyone at the club were so determined not to get carried away by it that any positives were actually turned in to negatives.

Fear if creeping in from the top and Pearson is showing his Lack of Prem experience. We cannot go into games trying to match the opposition lineup. We need our own best formation with the players in it who can make it work - which we have.

Our start was good but the last four games have shown us who we are. Yet those who think we have enough to stay up are still probably right, but not on current form.

This has to be turned round, and quickly. We will lose more than we win, but unless we play to our strengths, show some fearless spirit like we did against United, then I fear the worst.

Too early to say that you can't see anything else. We aren't as shit as Newcastle, Burnley, QPR or Sunderland for me.

4 games in a row is very concerning though. It's one thing going 4 without a win, but 4 games where we've taken one point against a group of average-shit sides, hardly creating chances, drawing three blanks, after turning in one of the most staggering displays of the season is unreal. This has the potential to match what happened in February 2013.

I remember only a few weeks ago you, amongst others, were laughing at how good we were and that we were 'clearly better' than some other teams. I suggested caution, it's a long season...

And still suggest caution, its a long season.

There is no scope this year for getting too carried away when we are good or too despondent when we are bad. It was always going to be that sort of season.

We are certainly playing like one of the worst three teams in the Premiership right now. And have been for too long.

We need to get back to pressing, passing, moving, proper team balance and partnerships. It's that simple.

You can't win games scoring zero as I've reminded Pearson on a few occasions in the past.

But I wouldn't necessarily blame our strikers for the lack of goals any more than our centre-backs for the goals against.

It's about teamwork. Moving forward and back as a unit and everyone taking responsibility.

Col city fan made a wonderful point about the Swansea goals when he mentioned that you can't have defenders falling back to contain talented forwards without midfielders helping to track the runners because there's no way back if the forwards get behind the centre-backs at that depth.

The only alternative is to have fast full-backs covering on a pulley system. It's a bit old fashioned but the system I always used as a manager - and ideal for both DeLaet and Schlupp. I never trusted to a flat back four. Quick thinkers and movers just destroy that system. 

I'm not at the point where I think we're going down, I'm just at that point where I literally cannot see where our next win is coming from. 

Our start to the season was excellent but to not pick up points against the likes of Burnley, Newcastle, Swansea and even Palace has been criminal. The games against the top teams we've played - Everton, Arsenal, Manchester United - we're always added bonuses but now I'm like thank God we actually did get something from those games.

It's not just the results, but the performances too. Second half Burnley was poor, Newcastle all game was poor and yesterday was poor (can't speak about Palace as I didn't go). If the performances were better, and we were generally just "unlucky" (I hate that term in football) then I'd take this drop in form better... Maybe.

Many fans are saying our expectations are still too high?

I'd have thought that having waited 10 years for this and now with money to burn, the fans should expect survival at the very least - doesn't look promising based on recent outings. We're in a very privileged position with the Thai owners - can see them accepting a relegation battle in the first season but not relegation itself.

Maybe NP has found his level as a good league manager? It doesn't look like he's making the right decisions so far in the prem. Home grown managers like Gary Monk seem to be paving the way with the right mix of players and tactics - as always, we seem to have one foot still in the championship. It does worry me that come January, we won't attract quality players if we're scrapping away with Burnley and QPR and a desperate scramble for a 17th place finish in May. 

I do hope NP turns it around but can't see the owners sticking if we start to take root at the bottom after Christmas.

That plucky win at Stoke is looking ever more crucial by the game.

I still think we'll stay up, as over the course of the season I think there will be 3 worse teams than us. We have to be balanced, we're not even a quarter of the way through and we're outside the relegation zone. As MB said, every team in the bottom half practically will have runs like this. We're not going to finish top 10. We just need to get out of this rut, starting against West Brom. 

We always was going to be in a battle (in a perfect world I'd love us not too) although we do have a good squad I don't rate us with most of the teams.

Swansea are a team that everyone are tipping to be in the battle at the end of the season with us, they look a lot more quality than us, defensively strong (did we get a shot away inside their box) and Bony and Sigurdsson are quality partnership- we don't have that type of quality and link up play.

Don't get me wrong, I love the passion and desire our players show towards LCFC but confidence has always been a worry, we went through last season so confident and with that builds team building etc depending how we start reacting to these losses will show the strength of character in our team, we are looking deflated.

Really regarding Swansea as I see them as a top ten side

This was always a very real possibility from the moment we were promoted. Nearly always one or two of the relegated teams are teams that were promoted.

Having said that, I'm not overly worried. I'd be worried if I was a Burnley or QPR supporter.

I remember only a few weeks ago you, amongst others, were laughing at how good we were and that we were 'clearly better' than some other teams. I suggested caution, it's a long season...

And still suggest caution, its a long season.

There is no scope this year for getting too carried away when we are good or too despondent when we are bad. It was always going to be that sort of season.

But we were genuinely playing a hell of a lot better than those sides. Did you, or anyone see us turning this bad in such a short space of time?

If we get our arses in gear and get ourselves playing the football we played last season and in August we will be absolutely fine and I've no doubt about that.

Archived