Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mjeb

Radio Leicester - Stringer

If you watch it on "catch up" you don't need a license.

The point is more that you're forced to pay for a service you aren't necessarily using for the ability to watch tv. It's like being expected to pay waitrose a monthly fee for the right to shop, even if you do your shopping at sainsburys. I've no problem paying a licence fee because I enjoy watching a lot that they've got on, but that I'm expected to pay for it even if I don't want it and have no intention of using it is what is galling.

I hardly ever post on FT but this thread is interesting. I find Ian Stringer an engaging, likeable presenter who clearly has a passion for his job. I like his easy banter that some find really annoying and I think the show needs it as Matt Elliot has a largely dour radio style.

I used to love his interviews with NP and I'd look forward to them much more than interviews by other journalists, mainly because the way he often challenged Pearson's answers made for a more interesting interview than the absolutely banal interview that Pearson wants to give. When we were doing well in the Championship last year I think Pearson sometimes enjoyed his battles with Ian, though this year obviously not so much - due probably to the added pressure of the premier league / relegation / possible sacking.

I understand people got frustrated when Stringer would repeatedly ask questions he knew wouldn't be answered, but I much preferred this battle to the boring interview that would occur otherwise. Listening to Pearson say "as ever....and this is always the case...we pick the team that we feel has the best chance of winning the game" is much more boring than listening to Pearson trying to rebuff Stringer's provocative questions.

Finally, I struggle to see how some think Stringer has a 'personal agenda'. What is his agenda? He is clearly a huge fan of LCFC (I don't think anyone can really argue this) and not once has he said or implied that he personally believes Pearson should be sacked. The opposite in fact. Yes he poses the question and airs callers with that opinion but that's all part of riling people up and getting them to listen - 606 do it all the time.

I hope Stringer stays despite the NP problem.

I hardly ever post on FT but this thread is interesting. I find Ian Stringer an engaging, likeable presenter who clearly has a passion for his job. I like his easy banter that some find really annoying and I think the show needs it as Matt Elliot has a largely dour radio style.

I used to love his interviews with NP and I'd look forward to them much more than interviews by other journalists, mainly because the way he often challenged Pearson's answers made for a more interesting interview than the absolutely banal interview that Pearson wants to give. When we were doing well in the Championship last year I think Pearson sometimes enjoyed his battles with Ian, though this year obviously not so much - due probably to the added pressure of the premier league / relegation / possible sacking.

I understand people got frustrated when Stringer would repeatedly ask questions he knew wouldn't be answered, but I much preferred this battle to the boring interview that would occur otherwise. Listening to Pearson say "as ever....and this is always the case...we pick the team that we feel has the best chance of winning the game" is much more boring than listening to Pearson trying to rebuff Stringer's provocative questions.

Finally, I struggle to see how some think Stringer has a 'personal agenda'. What is his agenda? He is clearly a huge fan of LCFC (I don't think anyone can really argue this) and not once has he said or implied that he personally believes Pearson should be sacked. The opposite in fact. Yes he poses the question and airs callers with that opinion but that's all part of riling people up and getting them to listen - 606 do it all the time.

That he's doing his best to destabilise the club and turn the atmosphere toxic with his desperate ego trip says otherwise. He's no more a city fan than I am an England fan, he's rather the complete opposite of a fan, fans support their team, not push a petty vendetta trying to destabilise a side that needs to be unified if it is to stand a chance.

Erm, you're not.  You don't have to pay the license fee to listen to the radio.  Just dont watch live TV and you don't have to pay anything.

Yeah, just never, ever watch live TV at all. That's a great solution. Nice one

Hi Ian, glad you've joined the forum.

Finger across the throat behind pearson's back seems fairly personal to me.

Completely agree with you, but i`m afraid you will now face the wrath of all the Nigel Pearson desciples, so be prepared!

Admittedly that does sound bad. How do we know this happened, where did the story come from?

read the thread.

it has been confirmed by geoff peters formerly of rl and now of talksport. now unless he has a personal issue with stringer why would he back it up.

read the thread.

it has been confirmed by geoff peters formerly of rl and now of talksport. now unless he has a personal issue with stringer why would he back it up.

I've got no issue personally with Ian, never have, and I told him that the last time we spoke. In his defence he claims the cut throat gesture to Nugent wasn't about the manager but about Nugent's injury and his bosses are backing him. The players (and subsequently the manager and senior people at the club) think differently and hence they have the current stand off. Not sure it's going to get sorted this season unless there's a change of manager. It's a mess and it's a shame. There are no winners in it.

I've got no issue personally with Ian, never have, and I told him that the last time we spoke. In his defence he claims the cut throat gesture to Nugent wasn't about the manager but about Nugent's injury and his bosses are backing him. The players (and subsequently the manager and senior people at the club) think differently and hence they have the current stand off. Not sure it's going to get sorted this season unless there's a change of manager. It's a mess and it's a shame. There are no winners in it.

i wasn't suggesting you had. i have read all your posts.

i was making the point that the gesture had been confirmed by what i consider a credible source.

Every bit of the club dislike Stringer. He's attempting to cause disharmony and everyone can see it.

I've said this many a time and been accused of attacking the media and trying to cover up for Pearson on your social media fan pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting quote on the phone in tonight

"For the record, the platform is Nigel Pearson's on BBC Radio Leicester, if he wants to come and join us and wants to talk to us, absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. I would happily have him in the studio as we have had in numerous different seasons, to come and celebrate success or reflect on a difficult season."

Pearson and the players are willing to speak to RL, just not to Ian, and RL know that, so why don't RL publicise the fact that it's their choice not to get someone else to interview them? Bizarre. 

Archived